Do many of you use live brodcasts?

The sport of kings.
0dd

Hello
I'm very new to the trading game and would be curious to know if many of you that are sucessfull with pre horse trading actually benefit from live broadcasts?

To me that is new I can understand how you would use information from the broadcast that you "know" will impact the prices and be ahead of the curve. I dont know If this is a thing but to me It seems resonable. Just reading of the markets blank just seem like pure magic to me as of right now.

Are there any of you that never look at the live broadcast?
ShaunWhite

Live broadcast is key to pre-race manual trading, especially knowing what's happening when they're going down or loading. Pundits comments can be influential too. All you need to remember is that there's no such thing as 'live' tv unless you break the laws of physics.
0dd

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:32 pm
Live broadcast is key to pre-race manual trading, especially knowing what's happening when they're going down or loading. Pundits comments can be influential too. All you need to remember is that there's no such thing as 'live' tv unless you break the laws of physics.
Okay, yes this I understand. Maybe even some channels are preferable because less lagg?

So If you simplify it...(alot :mrgreen: ) could it be so easy as to just look at the pictures and be the faster person to react to what you think will influence the market and If it dont you get out. If it does you ride the wave and get out when you think you get the biggest green. ( VERY SIMPLIFIED, i do understand this is no easy task.)

So there is bassicly noone that trade just off the market without the help of "live" to understand why the market is reacting?
johnsheppard

It's always good fun to think about!

Betangel now integrates with something fancy to get the goodness straight from the horses mouth? Correct? Maybe? I think I saw that in my inbox... Live tracking radar with a subscription to the guys that do the tracking?

I'm not entirely sure relying on being fastest is ever a good plan in any area. There's only one Usain Bolt. All the others just watch and cry :(

I suppose it's an OK strategy if you spend more of your life being the fastest, more time on it than the next guy... IMO, better to be average speed and find some other niche...
0dd

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:09 pm
It's always good fun to think about!

Betangel now integrates with something fancy to get the goodness straight from the horses mouth? Correct? Maybe? I think I saw that in my inbox... Live tracking radar with a subscription to the guys that do the tracking?

I'm not entirely sure relying on being fastest is ever a good plan in any area. There's only one Usain Bolt. All the others just watch and cry :(

I suppose it's an OK strategy if you spend more of your life being the fastest, more time on it than the next guy... IMO, better to be average speed and find some other niche...
Ouch!
Just checking!😂
johnsheppard

0dd wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:14 pm
Ouch!
Just checking!😂
lol, well I dunno either, that's just my opinion, so don't take it as gospel. Most guys that I see that have been doing this for years say you gotta turn over every stone yourself because most people report half truths :). Think of it like opening up your local grocery store though. There's 1000 other grocery store owners... the noob grocery store owners try the obvious things first... but its necessary to get out of noob stage....
ShaunWhite

There's no one specific A+B=C way to do it. You'll find that everyone you meet has their own method or niche and that's just pre-race horses let alone other sports or automation.
0dd

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:50 pm
There's no one specific A+B=C way to do it. You'll find that everyone you meet has their own method or niche and that's just pre-race horses let alone other sports or automation.
I do understand all have their niche and noone will tell you what that is, expect these ebook for 30 bucks that will tell you all the secrets in detail to make millions :D
But what is the big benefit of using live broadcasts, is it just to understand why the moves happen?

There is not a thing to use something like only technical analysis?
ShaunWhite

0dd wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:47 pm
I do understand all have their niche and noone will tell you what that is, expect these ebook for 30 bucks that will tell you all the secrets in detail to make millions :D
It's not about 'secrets' its just that most people gravitate towards what they're good at. Might be trading quicky in the last few seconds or looking for a certain setup or a dozon other areas. There's simply too many factors to consider to be prescriptive and it's all about doing the long hours and gaining subjective experience. If you could buy success then there wouldn't be so many who fail.
0dd wrote:
But what is the big benefit of using live broadcasts, is it just to understand why the moves happen?
All info is good info. And at a basic level if you see a horse going to the start with the jock chasing it then it won't be good for it's chances, ditto one that won't load or sweats up. Very likely drifters.
0dd wrote:
There is not a thing to use something like only technical analysis?
That's all I use but I'm 100% automated, I traded manually a few years ago but found it wasn't for me. But again if TA was easy everyone here would be posting from their yatch.

It's a tough game odd, relatively small markets and a lot of highly experienced people looking for a share of not much. Many have been fulltime for two decades and the nature of an edge means that it shouldn't be shared otherwise you risk giving your wages away too.

If you sit and trade the markets with £2 stakes then after several hundered you might start to see situations where you can make 10p more often than losing 10p. You repeat that hundereds of times a day and gradually build your stake into the hundereds or more; that's the rather unglamourous, not especially exciting reality of being a trader. No secret sauce and no millions unless you work smart and hard enough to deserve it.
Anbell

0dd wrote:

Sometimes it is just a matter of knowing how long you have until the race starts so that you can get your bets on
0dd

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:46 pm

All info is good info. And at a basic level if you see a horse going to the start with the jock chasing it then it won't be good for it's chances, ditto one that won't load or sweats up. Very likely drifters.
Okay that makes sense.
ShaunWhite wrote:
That's all I use but I'm 100% automated, I traded manually a few years ago but found it wasn't for me. But again if TA was easy everyone here would be posting from their yatch.
Intressting, when you have your bot being profitable at a strategy for the first time, that I guess could take many many 100s or maybe even 1000s of hours.... How much time do you spend to tweak and adjust it....Is it a daily thing?
I find it quite amazing that you could use TA and do something like that with a bot with a bunch of set parameters. I guess that is a proof TA works :roll:

ShaunWhite wrote:
It's a tough game odd, relatively small markets and a lot of highly experienced people looking for a share of not much. Many have been fulltime for two decades and the nature of an edge means that it shouldn't be shared otherwise you risk giving your wages away too.
Yes it seem like a very tough task to just get a grip of all the things that goes into trading and then you should be profitable aswell.
I do understand noone will share their edge.
ShaunWhite wrote:
If you sit and trade the markets with £2 stakes then after several hundered you might start to see situations where you can make 10p more often than losing 10p. You repeat that hundereds of times a day and gradually build your stake into the hundereds or more; that's the rather unglamourous, not especially exciting reality of being a trader. No secret sauce and no millions unless you work smart and hard enough to deserve it.
The trader reality seem all but exciting and very mentally challenging not just learning but also it must be a enormous stress to be full time and know this is end meets aswell.
Anbell wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:54 am
0dd wrote:

Sometimes it is just a matter of knowing how long you have until the race starts so that you can get your bets on
Okay thank you. I need to look up what options there is and decide what service to try. I reed Betfair has a live stream If you bet aswell.
Euler

I use live pictures for a number of reasons, but mainly to keep an eye on timings and on-course activity.

I can trade without them, but find more opportunities by using pictures.
ShaunWhite

0dd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:38 pm
Intressting, when you have your bot being profitable at a strategy for the first time, that I guess could take many many 100s or maybe even 1000s of hours.... How much time do you spend to tweak and adjust it....Is it a daily thing?
Took me nearly 2yrs but 18mths of that was developing the software to collect data and run simulations/trading. About 6 mths was actually working on strategy. Was doing 50hr weeks. Could be done quicker but I didn't use any off the shelf stuff.

I give it a tune up every 6 months or so and it's just starting year 5. Daily tweaks would be chasing your tail because pl trends show over 1000s of races not just a few. I should work harder on finding new stuff but I've gone a bit lazy/work-life balance in the last couple of years.

.. but even that shows the variety of approaches within one area. That won't be true of everyone who automates and many implement a previously sucessful manual strategy with a lot less effort.
0dd

Euler wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:39 pm
I use live pictures for a number of reasons, but mainly to keep an eye on timings and on-course activity.

I can trade without them, but find more opportunities by using pictures.
Okay it seem overall like broadcast just have benefits that help you be more intune the market. I will try to get some service and maybe try to actively spot things and how they impact the market.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:05 pm
0dd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:38 pm
Took me nearly 2yrs but 18mths of that was developing the software to collect data and run simulations/trading. About 6 mths was actually working on strategy. Was doing 50hr weeks. Could be done quicker but I didn't use any off the shelf stuff.

I give it a tune up every 6 months or so and it's just starting year 5. Daily tweaks would be chasing your tail because pl trends show over 1000s of races not just a few. I should work harder on finding new stuff but I've gone a bit lazy/work-life balance in the last couple of years.

.. but even that shows the variety of approaches within one area. That won't be true of everyone who automates and many implement a previously sucessful manual strategy with a lot less effort.
Wow Impressive! The benefit of building your own software is I assume that it's faster?
Did you have previous coding experience?
Congratulations on 5 years!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”