Development RANT

A place to discuss anything.
Alpha322

Dear

B/A team, i just seen a video with all the flashy in play data etc etc, i have been with B/A now since 2009 and still say its the most robust bit of kit to use for trading sports markets. I
remember i think when there was no practice mode, then all prayers were answered a practice mode was granted which helped me alot. I remember asking Peter can we have a practice
Bank, so we can measure how we do over a week, month etc here we are 10 years on and BA has all the fancy data but no practice bank. Very disappointed indeed :roll: why is it we cannot
have this, surely all this other flashy lights and flashes of data are alot harder to develop than a practice bank Rant Over
jamesedwards

Alpha322 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:09 pm
Dear

B/A team, i just seen a video with all the flashy in play data etc etc, i have been with B/A now since 2009 and still say its the most robust bit of kit to use for trading sports markets. I
remember i think when there was no practice mode, then all prayers were answered a practice mode was granted which helped me alot. I remember asking Peter can we have a practice
Bank, so we can measure how we do over a week, month etc here we are 10 years on and BA has all the fancy data but no practice bank. Very disappointed indeed :roll: why is it we cannot
have this, surely all this other flashy lights and flashes of data are alot harder to develop than a practice bank Rant Over
Practise mode is an essential tool to test automations are firing as expected.

But it is less useful for testing profitability because it will fill all matched bets completely regardless of money available, and the market may not have behaved the same if you had been part of it.
Snopyman

C'mon mate take a small bank and 2 pound stakes, and test as much as you want...

I have only good words for the whole Bet Angel team.

Cheers :D
jamesedwards

Snopyman wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:47 am
C'mon mate take a small bank and 2 pound stakes, and test as much as you want...

I have only good words for the whole Bet Angel team.

Cheers :D
This is definitely the way forward. And it's only £1 now.
Dallas

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:10 am
Alpha322 wrote:
Dear

But it is less useful for testing profitability because it will fill all matched bets completely regardless of money available, and the market may not have behaved the same if you had been part of it.
+1

Also Betfair will restrict accounts of those they deem to be abusing practice mode, it's intention is to allow people to try out and test new options/features and as James said to set up and edit rules files

Adding a balance would only seem to encourage people to try and use it for strategy testing, in addition to the results having little to no bearing on what would happen with that strategy in a real market it also in turn increases the risks of Betfair restricting the account and rendering it useless - hence the warning messages on the forum and user guide to use it responsibly
Euler

There is a bit of added complexity for a practice bank as well. You need to create a resulting service, something that will look back to determine when the market was open, closed and what the result was and any amendments. Because actual bets are not based, you need a whole frame work to understand what the actual result was.

It's not a simple bit of work.
Alpha322

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:10 am
Alpha322 wrote:
Dear

Oh i see your point but if i were gonna use a £200 stake i would and the market didnt show it had enough money to take that then i would move on, my point is practice skill to read the market and reference gain
Alpha322

Euler wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:30 pm
There is a bit of added complexity for a practice bank as well. You need to create a resulting service, something that will look back to determine when the market was open, closed and what the result was and any amendments. Because actual bets are not based, you need a whole frame work to understand what the actual result was.

It's not a simple bit of work.
Fair do,s but there is another bit of kit with one its had it from day one but they trade terrible, am one of those better the devil you know, why change it :D

Return to “General discussion”