Have I hit premium charge now?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
MobiusGrey

Question, if you were value betting only (not trading) and typically putting bets on anywhere up to a few seconds before the off would you use Betdaq to avoid PC altogether as you're not typically restricted by having to have liquidity like for trading? Oh account size would be 4 figures to low 5 figures.

Sorry open question to anyone, not a reply to anyone specifically?
jamesedwards

MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:56 pm
Question, if you were value betting only (not trading) and typically putting bets on anywhere up to a few seconds before the off would you use Betdaq to avoid PC altogether as you're not typically restricted by having to have liquidity like for trading? Oh account size would be 4 figures to low 5 figures.

Depends, on your personal figures. Remember that losses as well as winnings contribute towards your PC.

eg, I regularly pay 40% PC and expect to continue to do so. Therefore a straight 'bet' of say £1000 on Betfair has the same net value to me as close to a £600 bet elsewhere. This is because if it wins on Betfair then it increases future PC owed by nearly £400. If it loses on Betfair then it reduces future PC owed by just over £400.

If your trading style means you end up paying PC at Betfair and you don't rely on Betfair's liquidity then of course you would take slightly lower average odds on Betdaq if it meant avoiding PC completely.
MobiusGrey

Perfect, thanks
Derek27

MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:56 pm

To regularly pay PC, you generally have to lose £75-80 per £100 that you win. Many traders with high strike-rates will have a very low loss rate, but straight betting usually has a much smaller margin (higher loss to profit rate) and would avoid PC.
MobiusGrey

Betdaq lasted a day, a big part of my edge is sometimes leaving a lay to be taken at poor value in-running, I had not anticipated that the Betdaq in-running markets were total tumbleweed. Thanks Derek, I'm still a long way off PC anyway so it's probably something to worry about in the future (hopefully!)

Return to “Betfair exchange”