My Trading Diary

A place to discuss anything.
beginnertrader

I'm trading as part of a group of sports traders, and given an idea I received from this forum's users, I decided to share a diary to get your feedback. We all come from a tech-heavy background, and we are betting through a system we've developed that solves the needs we had from A to Z in our journey so far. So, I apologize if the screenshots are not the ones you are familiar with—this is just how we track performance.

We decided to launch our first scale strategy on Greyhound Racing after manually experimenting with it for a few weeks. What caught our attention was how money is coming into these markets, one race at a time, and we thought that using this to test strategies on a large scale could yield results and data quickly.

The first strategy was as follows:

Entering conditions:
  • Minimum £1,000 matched in the market
  • At least 5 minutes before the trade

Bet:
  • Lay on the favorite
  • Back the favorite with 2% profit from our lay bet
  • £5 exposure

If the back bet to lock in 2% doesn't match, we wait for the settlement. We saw that in most cases the favorite would not win, and we would receive a 40%-50% profit on the exposure on average when we win. We use this as our "stop-loss" methodology.

This ran for 8 days, generated profit but resulted in a net loss, as shown in the screenshot below:

We decided to keep this strategy as our "data gathering" strategy and bear its costs as our data acquisition costs.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 19.44.53.png

Then, we aimed to make it more accurate by identifying the right minimum odds to enter. For that, we used a tool we built for deep analysis of a strategy. As you can see in the screenshot, the Odds Potential section shows 2.8 odds with a nice number of bets, and a satisfactory total/net profit.

We ran the same strategy with a minimum odd of 2.8 as an entry criterion for a few days. At £5 exposure, it appeared to work quite nicely:
Yesterday, we increased the exposure to £10, and we are waiting to see how it goes. I can't attach more than 3 images in a post, so I'll post the current status in the next reply.

Would love feedback and suggestions for improvements to our strategy and thoughts :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beginnertrader

This is our current status of the 2.8 odd
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 19.57.12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hepburn

Fab! Good luck with it.
hecojef928

I'm not particularly interested in joining a group, but I am intrigued by your progress. I firmly believe that learning from what doesn't work is just as crucial, if not more so, than focusing solely on what does. Recently, I've been getting into automated strategies for Greyhounds, closely monitoring it's performance. Are you also using automation in your approach?

I'm curious about the software or website you're using to track your stats too. Do you manually input data, or does it automatically pull information from your Betfair account? Currently, I rely on Excel for data tracking and charting my progress, but what you're using seems quite interesting. Good luck
MemphisFlash

liking your data sheets, would you care to share?
beginnertrader

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.54.55.png
Yesterday was not a good day. Although in this sheet you see the last 3 days, we had a successful 5 days in 5GP for each bet.
It got us back to the drawing board to understand the data behind that.
beginnertrader

hecojef928 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:22 am
I'm not particularly interested in joining a group, but I am intrigued by your progress. I firmly believe that learning from what doesn't work is just as crucial, if not more so, than focusing solely on what does. Recently, I've been getting into automated strategies for Greyhounds, closely monitoring it's performance. Are you also using automation in your approach?

I'm curious about the software or website you're using to track your stats too. Do you manually input data, or does it automatically pull information from your Betfair account? Currently, I rely on Excel for data tracking and charting my progress, but what you're using seems quite interesting. Good luck
We've built out own stack for automation. As I mentioned - we come from a heavy tech background.
We use python backend to run bots on Betfair, data is stored live on mySQL, and the screen you see in my screenshots is Google Data Studio (now called Looker Studio) that we use to pull the data from mySQL, order, present and analys.
beginnertrader

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:47 pm
liking your data sheets, would you care to share?
What you see in the screen is Google Data Studio (AKA Looker Studio). It's not easily shared :)

Return to “General discussion”