The real costs of Betfair commission

A place to discuss anything.
beginnertrader

Many videos mention the importance of bankroll management, but I want to put the spotlight on the real cost of commissions. According to my plan, Betfair charges me a 2% commission on net profit per market, which seems low. In reality, as I'm building strategies for scale, I saw that while my strategy could be profitable, the net profit could be negative. I'll explain:

A strategy could have accumulated profit over time, meaning that the ratio between winning or losing is in favor of winning. It doesn't mean I actually generated net profit.

Take a look at this view of a Greyhound Racing pregame strategy I ran for 8 days, with 1,842 bets matched:
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 18.38.18.jpeg
  • You can see I won £87.17 Gross - it means that summing all my bet's profits and losses yielded a positive profit.
  • You can see I lost £0.29 Net - it means that summing all my bet's profits and losses, minus the commissions I paid to Betfair, yielded a negative profit.
It happens in strategies that have a lot of winning and a lot of losses, as Betfair deducts from each bet's profit and not from the profit of the overall strategy. If you don't track your numbers very closely, you could easily think that your profit is positive, but you are actually losing money.

In good strategies I run, I have an Avg. Gross Profit of >3% and an Avg. Net Profit of around 3%.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

beginnertrader wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:57 am
Many videos mention the importance of bankroll management, but I want to put the spotlight on the real cost of commissions. According to my plan, Betfair charges me a 2% commission on net profit per market, which seems low. In reality, as I'm building strategies for scale, I saw that while my strategy could be profitable, the net profit could be negative. I'll explain:

A strategy could have accumulated profit over time, meaning that the ratio between winning or losing is in favor of winning. It doesn't mean I actually generated net profit.

Take a look at this view of a Greyhound Racing pregame strategy I ran for 8 days, with 1,842 bets matched:

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 18.38.18.jpeg
  • You can see I won £87.17 Gross - it means that summing all my bet's profits and losses yielded a positive profit.
  • You can see I lost £0.29 Net - it means that summing all my bet's profits and losses, minus the commissions I paid to Betfair, yielded a negative profit.
It happens in strategies that have a lot of winning and a lot of losses, as Betfair deducts from each bet's profit and not from the profit of the overall strategy. If you don't track your numbers very closely, you could easily think that your profit is positive, but you are actually losing money.

In good strategies I run, I have an Avg. Gross Profit of >3% and an Avg. Net Profit of around 3%.
Costs are obviously important in any business. I think you've made an error when you say that Betfair takes commission from each bet. They actually take commission per market. If you are only having one bet per race then those are identical, but you can change the profitability dramatically by having more than one bet per race/market.
beginnertrader

Anbell wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:16 am

Costs are obviously important in any business. I think you've made an error when you say that Betfair takes commission from each bet. They actually take commission per market. If you are only having one bet per race then those are identical, but you can change the profitability dramatically by having more than one bet per race/market.
You are right and the terminology matters. I meant commission per market.
Derek27

I always calculate my commission on gross profit for any particular strategy.

At 2% commission, losing £50 for every £100 you win amounts to 4% commission on GP, but for £95 losses per £100 it becomes 40%.
jamesedwards

Totally irrelevant comment, but how do your eyes cope with that colour scheme? 8-) 8-) 8-)
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:41 pm
Totally irrelevant comment, but how do your eyes cope with that colour scheme? 8-) 8-) 8-)
:lol:
Kai

Derek is right, usernames like "beginnertrader" really are a terrible choice longer term

The only way you can fix a generic username like that is if you upload your dating profile picture
jamesedwards

Kai wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:27 pm
Derek is right, usernames like "beginnertrader" really are a terrible choice longer term

The only way you can fix a generic username like that is if you upload your dating profile picture
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really him, unfortunately. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... e-89664316
beginnertrader

Haha, I thought the whole idea about these forums is that you could keep you identity anonymous :)
You are total right with the poor choice of the username. If it's not horrible enough - on my registration I did a type and it was "beginertrader". Had to write to support to fix that :)
But i'm actually not that of a beginner. Came from a successful startup journey, now building my way up in the sports trading journey.
Very good with numbers, building system, analytics, AI and all that :)
Kai

beginnertrader wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:22 pm
But i'm actually not that of a beginner. Came from a successful startup journey, now building my way up in the sports trading journey.
So is the focus on developing a marketable service or a profitable strategy then?

Both pursuits are valid, but if mods don't want advertisement you may have to respect their wishes.
xtrader16

From what I read he isn't even a subscriber to Bet Angel. Which begs the question: How did you get into the forum?
ODPaul82

xtrader16 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:37 pm
From what I read he isn't even a subscriber to Bet Angel. Which begs the question: How did you get into the forum?
The forum is welcome to all, you can use competitive software just don't go extolling the "benefits" of it as generally there aren't
beginnertrader

Kai wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm
beginnertrader wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:22 pm
So is the focus on developing a marketable service or a profitable strategy then?

Both pursuits are valid, but if mods don't want advertisement you may have to respect their wishes.
Profitable strategy.
I've already exited from a marketable service once, and I have to say I have no wishes of building another platform and work with customers :)
What I love about sports trading is that it could be done efficiently with a small team.
Kai

beginnertrader wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:53 am
I've already exited from a marketable service once, and I have to say I have no wishes of building another platform and work with customers :)
Well that basically confirms it then

Sorry you got your forum account deleted but people can smell something off from a mile away, like your first post that Anbell saw was written by AI, or your profile image that jamesedwards found to be a shutterstock image, not even counting the deleted advertisement stuff

Return to “General discussion”