FABIO CAPELLO: ENGLAND ARE HOPELESS

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Iron

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/282 ... e-hopeless

It's taken him a long time to work that out! :lol:

I suspect he took the England job for the same reason Sven Goran Erikkson probably did, ie he thought "We've got some amazing, world-class talent here. Once I get them playing as a team, England will be an awesome force!".

But for some reason, the England lads play like Championship players whenever they put an England shirt on. The last manager to get them to play with passion was probably the late Sir Bobby Robson, and that was a heck of a long time ago...

Jeff
Groovyelms

Are yes Engerland footy, tough no nonsense, brilliant in engerland, and utterley hopeless on the world stage. I was listening today to talk sport... yep its not that good.. and some past luminary was trumpeting the english way of playing and how we should really adopt this way against the likes of spain! Oh dear, eventually it will sink in that it does not work against much more talented teams, when we start coaching like holland we might have a chance...

And I am as english as you can get( except for the french part way back).. ;)
Iron

I don't think the problem lies with the abilities of the players or their style of play.

For years, we've had players who've been in the first teams of some of the best clubs in the world, and managers who brought a Continental style of play to our national squad.

I think the problem is a psychological one - for some reason, the England shirt seems to sap the desire of our players...

Jeff
Sharpsy

We are trying to be something that the squad has not been brought up to do. Play football.

Its all a shambles. Spain are 1.92 to win, which I think is amazing value considering the England squad!!
Iron

b
Sharpsy wrote:We are trying to be something that the squad has not been brought up to do. Play football.
I disagree.

Take Gerrard.

He's awesome for Liverpool, but how often do you see him put in a breathtaking performance for England?

Rooney and Beckham are the only players in the England starting 11 of the last decade who I can think of who give 100% every time for their country.

Personally, I won't be betting on Spain though. England have a knack of performing poorly in must-win games or games against naff opponents, but raising their game when there's little at stake or they're up against top opponents! :lol:

Jeff
Consty1

Simply put, other countries in world football have better players than us imo, you can of course bridge the gap with a good togetherness and understanding. The problem is I'm not convinced there's been great harmony in a England squad for a while now, usually just a number of cliques. There seems hope with the current crop of younger players though. From what I've seen and heard this current group of younger players actually enjoy each others company as opposed to being club divided and most have grew up playing together at some level.

I feel like our best shot in the Euros is to focus on the younger players (Sturridge, Welbeck, Cleverly, Walker, Jones, Smalling, Wilshire) and then just sprinkle in some experience.
freddy

There must be a huge divide in the england camp as well, considering who the captain is, not just from recent events but for a long time, carn't help the situation.
Iron

And today was a case in point! :lol:

That said, I didn't see the match, but from what I hear we were lucky, with Spain dominating the game in the first half!

Jeff
Ferru123 wrote: Personally, I won't be betting on Spain though. England have a knack of performing poorly in must-win games or games against naff opponents, but raising their game when there's little at stake or they're up against top opponents! :lol:
pdupre1961

Ferru123 wrote:And today was a case in point! :lol:

That said, I didn't see the match, but from what I hear we were lucky, with Spain dominating the game in the first half!

Jeff
No Jeff,

As Mourinho says you don't need the ball to win the game. Spain played tepidly, their shots on target were all blocked. Only, one got through and it hit the outside of the post. It was as if they all had money on England.

England played to contain Spain, and won 1-0.

Personally, I thought it was an insult that England were 5/1 to win at home in a "Friendly" anyway.

Paul

Return to “Football trading”