The Martin O'Neill Factor - Real OR Not

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
pdupre1961

Is Martin O'Neill a great manager or is it just normal new manager improvement factor?

Here is the Premier League since he took over at Sunderland. First column is where they were after 14 games and column 2 is where they are now after all teams have played exactly 28 games.

The teams that have since played 15 were on 13 at the time Martin O'Neill started as manager of Sunderland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superfrank

i think he commands a lot of respect from players because of what he achieved as a player. he's also personable (which many managers aren't) and his enthusiasm seems to inspire that bit extra of effort and positive thought from his players that can make all the difference.
pdupre1961

Just been watching Everton vs. Sunderland. The Sunderland players themselves are very average, so how has he improved them 250%. What could he do for a good team.

They had 11 points when he took over - now they have 37 points.

Their last match of the season in the Premier League is home to Manchester United.
superfrank

roy hodgson is another nice guy who gets that bit more from players.
Groovyelms

I was chattting about this in the pub a few days back... ie just how does this happen and so quickly? Probably for all the reasons listed above... Anybody rate Roy Hodgeson for the England job? I have a feeling "Arry ain't goin to take it"
Groovy :o
Iron

Groovyelms wrote:Anybody rate Roy Hodgeson for the England job?
After Hodgson's experiences at Liverpool, I question whether he's the man to unite a divided dressing room, and get England's players fired up.

I think O'Neill would make a good England manager (although if the bookies' odds are anything to go by, it ain't going to happen!). And I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Keegan being given another bite at the cherry. OK, things didn't work out last time, but he's had a successful career as a manager, he once wore the England shirt himself, and he's extremely passionate.

Big Sam would be another interesting choice. His sides rarely play beautiful, flowing football, but he's good at grinding out results!

Jeff
LeTiss

I get the impression West Ham fans aren't enjoying watching their team at present. Sam Allardyce is a really boring tactician, I wouldn't want him

Keegan was hopeless. He resigned for being tactically inept at International level, so he's never going back

I think Roy Hodgson is Harry's biggest threat. Hodgson is a typical FA guy. He's very well respected, and is a diplomat, so the farts in Soho Square would love him. He's also vastly experienced, more so than Redknapp. Hodgson has managed on the continent, including Inter Milan, where he was well loved. He's also got vast experience at International level having steered Switzerland to the World Cup Finals of 1994, and also managing Finland.
I think Roy was unlucky at Liverpool. During the last 18 months of the Benitez reign, Rafa bought some average players. Hodgson inherited a sub-standard squad, Torres was clearly unfit, and off the field the club was a mess, complete turmoil. He needed a year to start turning things around.

Martin O'Neill applied for the job when Sven left, and was interviewed. They went for McLaren. He seems to have found a home at Sunderland, so I'm not sure he'd bother again. Interestingly, all ex-players of O'Neill says he's a brilliant man manager, you want to run through walls for the guy, but does very little coaching himself. He watches training, picks the team and just motivates them. Sounds good, but that's exactly what players said of Keegan
Iron

Curiously, that sounds like a lot like Erikkson's approach.

You can understand the FA's decision to appoint McClaren over O'Neill, given that McClaren was an Englishman and had achieved fantastic things at Middlesbrough.

Terry Venables might also be a good appointment, although there's no way the conservative FA would appoint such a controversial figure! Alan Shearer once said of Venables:

"The best England team I played in was the one under Terry Venables before Euro 96. Terry's knowledge and tactical know-how were spot-on and he knew how to get the best out of us too. We responded to him, believed in him and played some outstanding football in that tournament."

Jeff
LeTiss 4pm wrote:O'Neill watches training, picks the team and just motivates them. Sounds good, but that's exactly what players said of Keegan
superfrank

what about Glenn Hoddle? what happened to him?

he did a decent job with England didn't he? and only left because he said something non-PC (which might well have been true!, nobody knows).

Neil Warnock is still my choice. a record number of promotions, good at getting the best out of average players (perfect for the England job!) and a top bloke.
LeTiss

superfrank wrote:what about Glenn Hoddle?

he did a decent job with England didn't he? and only left because he said something non-PC (which might well have been true!, nobody knows)
He said disabled people are being punished for crimes in a previous life

I think Bobby Robson has a better chance of being re-appointed than him :lol:
superfrank

so he believed in reincarnation. who cares?!

i think they should just give it to Pearce if Harry or O'Neill don't want it.

there are no other outstanding candidates, so just save some money and give it to psycho - he's a decent bloke, did well with the under 21s and was an excellent player who lead by example.
Iron

Arsene Wenger might be a good choice. He's probably a bit hacked off at Arsenal right now, so he might be interested in the job. And if he could get England to play the way Arsenal did a few years ago, with lots of quick and accurate passing and an ability to put the ball away up front (ie the kind of football Germany used against us in the World Cup), we might actually win something!

Jeff
superfrank

it may have escaped your notice but Wenger is French!

he also hasn't won a trophy in years and is way past his best.
Iron

superfrank wrote:it may have escaped your notice but Wenger is French!
I didn't think Erikkson or Capello were English! :)
superfrank wrote:he also hasn't won a trophy in years and is way past his best.
True, but that may be due to stuff going on behind the scenes at Arsenal. I doubt he's forgotten how to get a team to play winning football, and a new challenge could be just what he needs to reignite his passion.

And let's face it, you're not probably not going to get an in-form, world class manager taking the England job, given all the nonsense that comes with it. I doubt Jose Morinho or Josep Guardiola going to be submitting their CVs to the FA anytime soon! :lol:

Jeff

Return to “Football trading”