Madrid - Blue clay

Euler

Madrid has switched from red to blue clay this year.

Lots of the seasoned pros moaning about the blue clay. Worth keeping an eye out for some decent trades if the surface really is causing problems.
SBW077

These courts really are awful and it's causing all kinds of havoc during the rallies, especially when sliding or adjusting going side to side. Frankly I'm shocked there haven't been more injuries.
Marshy10

Does anyone think its playing faster than the red clay?
Euler

I don't know what balls they are using, I would really like to know.

Madrid is 650m above sea level so there will be less air resistance. That should make the balls faster and player less able to exert spin. But they may be using a different ball type to counter act that.

I haven't been able to establish that just yet.
Marshy10

Should've read the links on your blog first!
werewolf

Can someone tell me why Djokovic is trading so low in his match against Tipsarevic today ? I just don't get it, I laid a 100 at 1.15 this morning and it's now dropped to 1.14. I just don't get that price. I backed Djokovic yesterday at 1.27 against warinka, which I thought was a good price, Djokovic looked in control but it took a tie break to win the first set and Tipsarevic is a far better player than warinka in my opinion. Clay might not be Tipsarevic's best surface, but you know he'll give you everything and i'm not sure you'll get that from Djokovic today, he doesn't like the blue clay and I think he'll hold back fearing injury, there was at least one hairy moment yesterday when Djokovic did the splits and you can see he doesn't trust this surface and struggled with his rhythm at times. I also think he's lost a bit of intensity this year, something Tipsarevic has got in abundance and he seems to have matured a bit as a player. We saw yesterday with Nadal that upsets can happen on this surface, Verdasco traded at 300 at one point and I think Nadals exit puts less pressure on Djokovic to win this match. I know Djokovic's record against Tipsarevic is near perfect and he's serving well but unless he's on his game I can see plenty of trading opportunities and fancy Tipsarevic to take at least a set. My original plan was to back the loser of the first set and trade out if it went to a third and i'll still lay Djokovic if he wins the first set if the odds are good but I just couldn't leave that price alone even though I still expect Djokovic to win but I still think it'll be closer than 1.14 suggests !!
Euler

Verdasco beat Nadal yesterday. Tonight Ferrer vs Federer looks interesting.
Euler

We posted at the same time by the look of it!

Djokovic is a cut above the rest at the moment, though his price looks a little skinny given the circumstances.
werewolf

Seems we did mate, thought it was a reply and that i'd mis-wrote my post at first with Nadal. I agree Djokovic is still the best in the world and I expect him to win today still, but i've been guilty of taking poor odds many times now and even as i've put bets on i've thought this just isn't worth it at this price and nearly gone the other way and wished i'd gone for value like today, would have been much better off.
werewolf

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !!!!!! Traded out at 1.2, expected Djokovic to break him in the last game of the set, Djokovic serving well and was going to come back in on the second set with Djokovic probaly at 1.08, now trading at 1.72, bugger !!1
werewolf

Sorry, meant lay Djokovic in the second set !!!
Euler

Djokovic defeat - Kerching
werewolf

Well done mate, hope you made a killing, didn't take a penny myself, should have stuck with my convictions, knew it was a great price for the lay, but i'm still learning so I can take some heart from it at least, my original post was more of confusion at the price Djokovic was tradin at in the beginning, probaly a few sick folk tonight. Not long ago i'd have probaly backed Djokovic without a second thought so well done.
Euler

I have to thank you for pointing out how low Djokovic was. He wasn't at all happy in the press conferance and at those odds looked like a lay, even if it was just to see how much effort he put in during the first set.

Just remember you are not looking to be right or wrong when trading. You are just looking for a bit of volatility.

Return to “Tennis Trading”