Learning VBA

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
andyfuller

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but can anyone tell me if there is a difference between VBA for Excel and VBA for Access.

I am trying to do something in Access and am struggling so I am looking for a book on VBA coding but there seem to be heaps of books about VBA coding for Excel but very few for Access.

Therefore I thought if what applies to one would work in the other I could get myself an Excel VBA book from the local library to start with (they don't have any access ones).

Also is is VBA quite a tricky thing to learn the basics of? :?
herbie

Andy... Have a look at this..it might help http://www.functionx.com/vbaccess/index.htm
staker72

Hi Andy,
The quick answer is yes. having said that if you understand Excel VBA it's a good chance that you are 75% of the way to Access. I think it's fair to say that a lot more people write Excel spreadsheets even if it's just for a shopping list compared to those that write Access databases so texts are less common.

Having said that I think most textbooks on Access wil cover VBA to some extent as access users tend to be a bit more IT oriented.

If you are just learning VBA for this one job I would suggest that if your library doesn't have anything try Amazon/Ebay. Make sure it's specific to the version of Access you are using, it changes between them. However dont forget, most public Libraries offer a book ordering service and can get most books. Usually for a £1 or so.

The downside is you only have it for 3 weeks to learn.

There are also forums but they are probably best for more sophisticated stuff. Newbie questions tend to get short shrift although browsing throught them can sometimes pay off.

Theres also online info as already mentioned
andyfuller

Cheers for the advice guys. I will look at the link above and try that out. My local library doesn't have an Access based VBA books it seems :( but they do have some Excel ones so I will try that to begin with. Also I will see if they are able to order any in from other libraries.

There is an Agricultural University just up the road so I might go and have a nose around there as well.

Cheers again.
Zapata

I just Googled for "online access vba course" and loads came up - maybe an option?

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”