What’s with these massive spikes?

A place to discuss anything.
rhysmr2

I’ve lost some big junks today on these large volume spikes. It’s made it impossible for me today, just losing money and getting angry.
Matt

It's caught me a few times earlier on too, someone jumped in with £30k in an earlier race knocking the price back about 8 ticks which it didn't recover from.
rhysmr2

There is even big spikes on the later meetings, I guess I’m not pulling my loss back today then, it's been one of them days for me, caught out to many times, saying that this whole week has been crap for me!

The money has been all over the place.
Max

Theory on the spikes is big players (possible bookies)laying off sums,or advice on a tip straight from the horses mouth so to speak, or big players forcing the price down and selling it lower,based on prices dropping everyone follows (not all) volume picks up and then cashing in, the bigger you are and if good, you have the power to 'massage' the markets a little to the way you want it.its only a guess, wonder if PW or others of suitable experience could comment? we would all like to hear im sure. Thanking in advance.
TheRiddler

A quickie there is a difference between real money, traders money and spoof money. Because each is placed with a different intention.
That's enough of me.
rhysmr2

Yeah it was definitely real money wanting to be matched, always on the back side. heavy punter or bookie would be my guess.

Riddler, you chose a suitable username :)
jimrobo

well it can't be anything to do with spoof money when it is a 30k volume spike that moves the price 5-10 ticks!!!
trex

It was me!
no just kidding - agree - definately real money - bookie or madman. I think they were bets (although did see some chunks on the lay side at times. Most horses lost I think - but as you say could have been bookie.

I generally lay first instinctively - but in those races by pure fluke was backing first mostly - so was ok.

If he's back to day at least we'll be ready! (unless of course he decides to start laying first :o
rhysmr2

I think I layed a second before every spike, I took a few 10 tic losses, called it a day after losing about £130. :cry:

Oh well, next week is close and I’m going to give my head a wobble and start making some good profits!
Matt

He nearly caught me out on Drumbeat at the 2.15 at Chester but luckily it came back up.

Dropped about 8 ticks with around £15k and then another 5 ticks with around £6k.
LeTiss

This is one of the reasons I stopped trading on Horse Racing. You don't see situations like that so often with Football or Tennis
jimrobo

lumpy was out to play again tonight in a couple of races, Luyckily I got stung in the bath race that got abandoned!!! I was waiting for him in the next!
floyd

I've been lead to believe its an MP lumping those large sums of doe on the nags knowing they can claim it back on expenses :-)

Return to “General discussion”