Breaking News BETFAIR Merging with Paddy Power

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
maycontainnuts

Just me that things its dodgy that Breon leaves PP to join Betfair then engineers a takeover by PP a few years later? Isn't this an amazing coup by PP who acquire a business by having their own man on the inside?
to75ne

marksmeets302 wrote:I realize for many of you here the exchange is linked to your daily income, so naturally you are worried. LeTiss has a good point. But this might also be a good thing. The void that is left behind if the exchange is abandoned/orphaned/whatever will be filled. If not by betdaq, then by someone else.
not wishing to put a dampener on your optimistic outlook but what evidence is there for that.

betdaq as never really taken off in the uk (they have been pissing in the wind for years) .

there does not seem to been any new exchanges on the horizon. in other countries the idea of a exchange would seem to be an anathema, total taboo in to most regulatory authorities.

in the uk (and i assume also the republic of Ireland), most people i know just do not understand, trust and point blank refuse to use an exchange. personally i don't believe that many people actually use exchanges (hence a very small void left, not significant one), certainly not enough to enourage non users to rethink their attitudes to exchanges.

most people who like to bet, like to bet thats it really. exchanges are over complicated for them, surplus to requirements.
marksmeets302

You're probably right about most people just wanting to put in a straight bet. But the success of betfairs exchange proves that there is demand for such a thing. Unfortunately betfair raped it, but not enough to allow new startups to attract enough customers away from betfair.
Black Ice

I agree with above. If BF Exchange is downgraded- won't everyone just switch to Betdaq??
spreadbetting

Exchanges aren't going to disappear anytime soon, Betfair became a £2.4B company from being a pretty incompetent one so there's certainly money in running one.

I old enough to remember earning a living from the early days of Flutter/Betfair/Play121 etc so I won't be looking enrol on any job clubs just yet.
Zapata

My PP account survived one day.
Archangel

I dont think this is the death of the exchange at all. The exchange is Betfairs only differentiator. They control 90% of the market. I would (assume) PP fully intend to utilise this tool somehow
Dallas

The way things are right now i think its anyones guess at whats going to happen, who would of guessed we would be talking like this only a few years ago??

In a industry which had seen little change most of this millennium now within just 2 years we have had Ladbrokes buy Betdaq then merge with Coral, now PP merge with betfair which for all intence and purpose was set up as a peer to peer exchange as an alternative to the standard dated bookie.

Now both exchanges are under the control of high street bookies so how long before we see a Ladbrokes/Coral & PP merger and the formation of a betting giant?? and possibly the end of the exchanges as we know them as the other high street/online bookies form together to create a monopoly and leave a few big boys who will ultimatly return things back to the 80s-90s before exchanges?.

It could only be a matter of time before they start messing around with and experimenting with things like limiting the bet sizes etc on exchanges to force people to use there sports books?

Lets not forget WH the one time biggest high street player - its only move now has to be to start hoovering up some smaller/online outfits its self or risk also being swallowed up

I think the only think thats clear is the next few years are going to see the biggeset changes to the exchnages one way or another
Euler

Exchanges won't vanish as the pandora's box has been opened. But what form they take is an open question. They are much better ways to do business, like Uber or Air BnB so you can't stop them. Somebody else will step up to the plate if others wont.
Naffman

Chill out everyone for gods sake! When Packer (Crownbet) bought Betfair Aus, we were all freaking out but the exchange has not changed one little bit. The exchange is a vital part of the business and I can't see them abandoning it and giving Ladbrokes (Betdaq) full control of that market.
lesblakeman

Ladbrokes bought Betdaq and it's still operating , so looking for another job might be a bit premature , I really hope so anyway
Euler

Dear Software Vendor,

You may have seen this morning’s press highlighting the exciting announcement of a potential merger between Betfair and Paddy Power. Whilst the potential merger is still in its early stages we wanted to take this opportunity to contact you and confirm that we remain 100% committed to growing and investing in the exchange.

You can find full details of the announcement at http://corporate.betfair.com/pr-26082015.aspx

Please let us know if you have any questions but please remember it is still at early stages.

Kind Regards
Euler

Advertising it may help ;)
Archangel

Dear Software Vendor
love the personal touch
callumth1

I'm banned from PP as I tried opening an account when I was 17, years ago, and they won't let me back. Will they close down my betfair account? :?

Return to “Betfair exchange”