Automating a small loss

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
forumuser

I am looking to lay a horse but get out/cut my losses/red up if it shortens a certian number of ticks.

Say a lay bet at 7.0 and then automatically get out if it drops 5 ticks to 6.0.

I seem to imagine this should be quite easy to set up but I can't get my brain around it.

Thank you.
Dallas

If betting manually you need to enable "Global Settings" this is the blue cog icon (ensure it does not have a red cross through it) then from the drop down menu on top left of your screen select "Offset Bet and Stop" and just to the right enter the number of ticks you want to use.

http://www.betangel.com/user-guide/stop ... 3D&mw=MzIw

If doing this via automation in guardian then on the parameters tab use the drop down menu next to "Action"
and select "Offset Bet and Stop"
forumuser

Thank you Dallas.

Regarding the number of ticks, if I wanted it to 'Stop trigger' at 5 ticks, what should I put in 'Place ticks' at?
Dallas

The trigger is the point at which the stop is activated and place is where its actually placed at.
(its to ensure if the price spikes or moves quickly against you your stop loss can still get you out).
eg
Trigger at 5 ticks / place at 7 ticks
lay @ 7.0
if price falls to 6.0 stop will trigger but place at 5.8
(but as when backing or laying it will be matched at best price when reaching the market)

PS the link in my 1st post was incorrect so i have edited to the correct one
forumuser

Dallas, I just tried it in the 7.10 on Desert Morning.

I had the global settings enabled, stop on opening bet and at 3 ticks. I placed my bet on the One-click page for a £5 lay but the horse went well past my 3 ticks and nothing happened. I believe I did this just before the off but had no opportunity to keep the bet in play.

It lost but that is not the point for this. Can you help and let me know why it may not have worked. Should I be placing my lay bet on the Manual Bet tab not One-click?

Thank you.
Dallas

You can place it on which ever screen you want (one-click, manual bet or ladder) but you have to enable/disable global settings on each (doing on one does not automatically change them all).

I had also amended the link in my 1st reply just after i posted it you might just want to double check that was the one you followed, and when trying anything for 1st time i would always advise practice mode or min stakes till you know its working how you expect.

Also there is no guarantee a stop loss will work during In-Running due to the volatility of the price movements and the in play delay its subjected to.
forumuser

Hi Dallas, thanks again for your time but as I am laying the horse, I don't think I want to have an offset number of ticks. If I have an offset number of ticks that will place a back bet and just leave me with a small profit.

I want to lay the horse so if it gets bigger in price I want to leave it alone, let it lose and win my full lay stake.

If it shortens in price by the number of ticks I choose, I want to stop the bet at that point for whatever the loss is at that time.

I don't always explain things too well so is this how you understand the bet I am trying to place?
forumuser

...sorry I meant to say I just tried it again on the fav in the 8.10 and again it dropped quite a number of ticks but no green up (or red up) loss bet was placed??
Dallas

Ok I understand what you mean now, so your straight laying rather than trading, To use the stop loss i described above you need to also select a number of offset ticks (which you obviously dont want to do).

Apart from placing the stop loss manually (by right clicking the mouse on the odds you want to stop at after the race goes in play) the only other way is to use a simple automation file.

I have created one of these and it can be downloaded from here.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11407

So you would add your markets to guardian apply the rule to all markets (if you dont place any bets it wont do anything but if you do once the loss amount set is reached it will close the trade)

It does nt work in ticks but monetary value instead, the bot above has both a profit and loss rule built in but just remove the profit one (or change the amount to higher than the stake your using and it will never trigger).

If you want to give this ago but get stuck just give me a shout.
forumuser

Thanks Dallas, I will take a good look at this in the morning.
forumuser

Hi Dallas, I just tried to import the Profit or Loss.baf and it said that it is not compatible as it was created using a different version of Bet Angel. I have version 1.42.2

Would this be easy to update to my version?

I also have a few other questions regards adding some extra rules for this, would it be ok to ask here or would it be better to PM you?

Thanks.
Dallas

It was created using V1.42.2 so should work if your using the same version, you can ask here as parts may be relevant to other users at a later date so they can be refereed here.

If you delete that file and try downloading again otherwise ill add a fresh copy here or type out the instructions to follow along with your added bits
forumuser

Thanks Dallas.

I was wondering if it could be set to place the initial lay bet at the BSP price and only if within a range of prices, say only bet if the BSP is between 6.0 and 10.0

If not able to bet at BSP then would it be possible to set it so that it only plces the lay bet if between 6.0 and 10.0 at the 1 second after the off trigger you mentioned.

Thank you.
Dallas

You could set it to either place @ BSP as soon as the race goes IR (because of the in-play delay it may instantly drift and never come back so you would nt be matched in this situation).
Or you could set it lay @ best price at the off time

Both of which can be set to do only within your odds range and to close if X loss is reached

Also are you specifying the horse by name or any runner between those odds or just what ever is fav/2nd fav etc?
forumuser

I think to lay at best price at the off time and I am thinking at present to lay any horse between the odds specified. I say between 6.0 and 10.0 but can I change these once loaded if need be so I can play around with results etc.?

If I do want to lay all runners within the price range is this easy to set up on a days racing as it would mean loading all runners.

Thanks.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”