Automating a small loss

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Dallas

Only if the rules are saved within the same file otherwise you can open another instance of Bet Angel & Guardian (using the same login details) on either the same computer or separate one and run additional rules on the same race that way.

If using multiple rules you do need to be sure there is no conflictions between the rules you use.
forumuser

For this new rule, greening up for each separate selection, on the selection itself can I use the numbered favourite instead of betfair row number?

Also, on the first rule you helped me with, there was a second part to it. Do I still need this second part?

I imagine I do as I need the parameters for the stake and the conditions for the price range but what about the timings and number of triggers/rearms?

Thanks Dallas.
Dallas

You should still have the rule type
"Place Lay Bet"
and all the timings, parameters & conditions associated with that.

Then just highlight and remove the "Green all selections" and replace with "Close trade on selection with greening" and duplicate that for each row

You could use numbered fav instead of row index but as the order will change during running so you would need to use the rule type "Fix market order" and set it to trigger just before your original lay bets do.
This will then remember the order as it is then for the duration of the race so you can then add the "Close trade on selection with greening" and apply it in order of fav

I have just made a file for you which should do what you want - it lays for each runner between 6.0 & 10.0 for £10 and closes out a individual selection if it runs well and a loss of -£3 occurs on that selection.

*I have nt tried it myself and just done it quickly between races so try in practice mode first without changing anything and see if it works as you would expect*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
forumuser

Thanks Dallas, just while I set that up, can you tell me if it is possible to delete a rule as I have played around with things and have a couple I want to remove from my dropdown list.

Thanks!
Dallas

To delete a rule just select it in the dropdown box click on edit then the red cross (just to the right of the two save disks).

I have also just added a file for you to try in practice mode to the last post
forumuser

Thanks, I will take a look at the file later this eveining but can I ask, if I want to cover the first 5 rows on Betfair each race, do I need to have 5 rules for the first part, Close Trade Profit Condition AND 5 rules for Place Lay Bet.

??

Great help Dallas, thanks.
Dallas

If you where wanting to bet only on these rows doing by row or order of fav you would need one for each selection - you can use a single rule if all the bets can be grouped together for example any runner whos odds are under 4.0 who's odds have shortened more than X ticks during last 5 mins (this would then place the bet regardless of row or order of fav).
forumuser

Dallas, just looked at the 6-10 file you kindly set up - many thanks.

One thing is, on Remember Order Rule, why is to satrt 25 secs before race time until 21 seconds before race time. What does this do/mean?

Thanks.
Dallas

That is going to snapshot the order of the favoritism at that moment and remember it for the duration of the race (so as runner change position it has no bearing on the close part of the rule) this need to be done before the initial lay bets are placed.
All the lays should be on horses less than 10th fav - there is then a separate close for each one if they run good and the loss value on that single selection exceeds -£3 loss.

What this means is that if 5 where layed and at some point all 5 ran great and there price came in you would lose 5 x -£3 = -£15 loss
If all 5 ran bad and never shortened much in price you would win 5 x £10 = £50 profit
If 3 ran good and 2 ran bad this would win 3 x -£3 = -£9 & 2 x £10 = £20 Total = £11 profit

Once your know the mechanics are all working how you expect in practice mode you can change the stakes or loss values or anything else you want to whatever suits you best - but from what you have said during this thread this is what your trying to achieve.
forumuser

Thanks, I understand that now.

If I wanted to place the lay bet manually, can I just use the green up condition to lose the set £3 rule for any race, so I place the bet manually and if it goes in to a £3 loss position it automatically greens/reds up?

Of course I would copy the rule and just remove the place lay bet part.

Just seeing how different ways would work.

Thanks.
Dallas

Yes thats fine you can do it that way
forumuser

I have just looked at your DOBbing template and you have the green up condition set to when greater than £10. This I understand.

On the rules you set for me Lay 6-10 mine is set to green up when less than -£3
If I am laying first and getting out when I hit -£3, shouldn't mine also be set to greater than -£3

This would mean green up when the losing amount is greater than £3 so just after that point. If I have it set to less than -£3 won't it automatically green up at £0 as this is less than £3.

Is it something to do with plus and minus amounts?

Thanks again.
Dallas

It is set correctly for you believe me, I know It does sound counter intuitive but its the way the automation interprets it
Less than -£3 will close if the loss exceeds this value ie (-£4,-£5, -£10 etc)
greater than -£3 will close if the amount is above ie (-£2, £0, £4, £10 etc) which is what you dont want to happen

A way to easily visualize it is to imagine numbers from 10 to -10 in a vertical line
starting at at any number
to go up is greater
to go down is less
forumuser

Yes I did that idea going down from 10 and I was still confused but I think I get what you are saying Dallas.

Thanks.
forumuser

Dallas, I am finding the way the bets are being triggered/armed/placed isn't working as well as I had hoped when greening up at a maximum loss amount.

In the main the rules that you provided on the Lay 6 - 10 rule work well but on certain races my loss has been over £20 instead of my intended £5 max. It seems that if a horse starts badly then finishes very quickly the automation can't work as quickly as the prices are dropping.

I totally understand the volatility of the in running markets and that there are no guarantees with automating bets but is there a way I can ensure my loss is just £5 or at worst a couple of pounds more.

I was looking at the post on the Forum, Automation>>Cancel On Greening and there were a couple of points made that suggested there may be other conditions or ways to set the trigger bets amounts that could help force a maximum loss even more.

I also think that having all of the days races set in Guardian means that I may be taking 10 to 20 seconds to refresh the prices/conditions and wonder if I should just have one race at a time using automation.

Many thanks.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”