Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
SeaHorseRacing

Euler wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 pm
I'm sort of thinking we could go an entire generation without England winning anything.
We will never win anything. There was no excuses this time. We were favourites to win this tournament, favourites to win this game. Only by a small margin, but performed nothing like our odds.

We only got here because we got beat by Spain and drew with Croatia and England on the back foot wanted that win. Just like they played tonight when Holland scored.

We lack a way to show the way. A real champion makes all and sticks his head out. We’re only anygood when the players release there going to be crucified from losing. We just cannot take any game or run by the scruff of the neck and keep it.

No BOTTLE.
Kafkaesque

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 pm
I just can’t comprehend how the Dutch have maybe two great players and we have maybe 5 champions league final players and can’t even pass the ball from the back.

Utterly embarrassing. Rant over. :twisted: :oops:
It's fair to argue whether England has a better team or squad than Holland, but to make out that Holland is well below England in squad strength and only have "maybe two great players" is...well kinda like Stones' defending ;) The last couple of years of football across Europe begs to differ.
Trader Pat

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 pm
It's fair to argue whether England has a better team or squad than Holland, but to make out that Holland is well below England in squad strength and only have "maybe two great players" is...well kinda like Stones' defending ;) The last couple of years of football across Europe begs to differ.
I think thats part of the problem, of the 4 teams left in the semi's I think England had the better squad, but the other 3 teams had a more set first 11

And on top of that Southgate seems to be the latest in a long line of England managers who's averse to risk
Kafkaesque

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:14 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 pm
I think thats part of the problem, of the 4 teams left in the semi's I think England had the better squad, but the other 3 teams had a more set first 11

And on top of that Southgate seems to be the latest in a long line of England managers who's averse to risk
I'd take Holland's squad over England's all day long. Comfortably so. No matter how set the first 11 is.
Trader Pat

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 pm
I'd take Holland's squad over England's all day long. Comfortably so. No matter how set the first 11 is.
I'd take Hollands first 11 over England's but i think England's squad is deeper
ruthlessimon

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 pm
I'd take Hollands first 11
Imagine the current 11 with Robben & RVP in their prime! That'd be a mad side!!!
Trader Pat

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Imagine the current 11 with Robben & RVP in their prime! That'd be a mad side!!!
Throw in a Van Persie and Van Nistelrooy and you would probably have world cup favourites
wearthefoxhat

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 am
ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Throw in a Van Persie and Van Nistelrooy and you would probably have world cup favourites
Add a Dennis Bergkamp too...
Kai

As a neutral I think England has come a long way but the squad is still relatively young and inexperienced, Southgate included, you can't rest your best players for a semi-final, you didn't see Koeman resting Van Dijk and Wijnaldum, it doesn't get any more naive than that. The biggest change that I've noticed is actually off the pitch, the media started to protect English players instead of crucifying them so they were able to play with more freedom and less pressure (who knew that would lead to better performances), they even managed to get over some mental blockades like penalties etc. In that sense I feel that Southgate deserves a lot of credit, and time to improve as a manager.

You can't deny it, booing Van Dijk yesterday instead of your own team is a definite improvement. Yesterday it seemed like England had too many City players who tried to overplay from the back, but England is not City and they got caught out.
greenmark

"tried to overplay from the back, but England is not City and they got caught out."
Without which we could well have won.
Why wasn't De Ligt sent off? Surely a goal-scoring opportunity with no covering defender? And then he goes and scores the equaliser.
Hopefully Stones will now realise opponents expect him to do daft things when pressurised.
greenmark

Wow. Full stadium for womens football. Fantastic!
Dallas

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Really good to see that, and hope this years WC continues to raise the profile of it

You'll know when it has as we'll start reading and hearing news reports about HAB's
greenmark

Ignore this if I'm being dim but....
Whats a HAB?
Kafkaesque

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 pm
Ignore this if I'm being dim but....
Whats a HAB?
Opposite of a WAG, I'm guessing ;) Even if I feel Dallas has just coined it. You should patent that nugget, Dallas. You'd be instantly set for life :lol:
Kafkaesque

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Did anyone trade it? If so, how was the liquidity?

Return to “Football trading”