UK General Election **June 8th**

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
cybernet69

The Tories need to be careful about going to the polls again.

Next time they may end up with < 300.

They are now at the mercy of the DUP and need to hope that none of their own MPs abstain or vote against the government, otherwise nothing is going to get through Parliament.

I expect chaos to presume in the coming days, weeks and months.

They will struggle through to around September and then have no choice but to call another election, which could see Mr Communist walking through the door of No10.

Shocking times ahead, me thinks.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:08 am
Ruth Davidson is quite likely to be a future PM I reckon. Very capable politician.
Not in a million years.
max_usted

cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:58 pm

They are now at the mercy of the DUP and need to hope that none of their own MPs abstain or vote against the government, otherwise nothing is going to get through Parliament.

They will struggle through to around September and then have no choice but to call another election, which could see Mr Communist walking through the door of No10.

Wonder how they'll interpret this in terms of their mandate for Brexit - will there be a change in the official line? The purpose of this election was to solidify that mandate, but obviously it's had the opposite effect.
cybernet69

max_usted wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 pm
cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Wonder how they'll interpret this in terms of their mandate for Brexit - will there be a change in the official line? The purpose of this election was to solidify that mandate, but obviously it's had the opposite effect.
The DUP are pro brexit with certain conditions for Northern Ireland. Some Tory back benchers will vote against, upto 60 of them. That combined with Labour, Lib dems and the SNP means nothing is going to get through unless a majority agrees.

And it wont just be brexit, Education, Security, Economy, Cuts etc etc.

Like I said, shocking, uncertain times ahead.

They will muddle through until it becomes apparent that the government is a lame duck and we need another election to get clarity and certainty. But that is by no means a given.

Still cant find my passport. :|
ShaunWhite

It's funny how people loved democracy when we ended up with a microscopic Brexit majority and now the result doesn't suit you, you're all crying about it.

Come on now, you invented the new political rules, if you don't win you have to abandon all of your principals and idiology, get on side, and respect the views of the people.

The result was a defeat for political extremists, content to polarise the country for their own selfish motives. Hopefully it's a return to sensible consensus politics.

The majority of views expressed on this thread are typical of privilaged people living in gilded cages, the lack of regard for the needs and opinions of the wider population is frankly disgraceful.
cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm
nothing is going to get through unless a majority agrees.
Yes, and that is exactly how it should always be. But the majority aren't at the fringes of left or right, in or out, they're in the middle, it's statistics 101.

I don't want the country to be run in a way that suits me me me, I want it to be run in a way that suits the majority.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybernet69

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 pm
It's funny how people loved democracy when we ended up with a microscopic Brexit majority and now the result doesn't suit you, you're all crying about it.

Come on now, you invented the new political rules, if you don't win you have to abandon all of your principals and idiology, get on side, and respect the views of the people.

The result was a defeat for political extremists, content to polarise the country for their own selfish motives. Hopefully it's a return to sensible consensus politics.

The majority of views expressed on this thread are typical of privilaged people living in gilded cages, the lack of regard for the needs and opinions of the wider population is frankly disgraceful.
cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm
nothing is going to get through unless a majority agrees.
Yes, and that is exactly how it should always be.
If the majority were interested in homelessness, poverty, housing, security, health, education, elderly etc then we wouldn't have any problems.

But they are not. Never have been and never will be.

The country has always been divided, north/south, young/old, rich/poor, urban/countryside, left/middle/right, violent/passive.

But politicians/media don't like to admit it or talk about it.
ShaunWhite

cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:18 pm
The country has always been divided, north/south, young/old, rich/poor, urban/countryside, left/middle/right, violent/passive.

You're wrong, it's politics and the media that have divided, north/south, young/old, rich/poor, urban/countryside, left/middle/right, violent/passive.
Real people don't live in such an oversimplified world.
cybernet69

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:22 pm
cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:18 pm

You're wrong, it's politics and the media that have divided, north/south, young/old, rich/poor, urban/countryside, left/middle/right, violent/passive.
Real people don't live in such an oversimplified world.
Not wrong at all.

If the majority gave £1 per week to Centrepoint then homelessness would be virtually non existent. But they don't, only a minority number do. That has nothing todo with politics or the media.
ShaunWhite

cybernet69 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm
If the majority gave £1 per week to Centrepoint then homelessness would be virtually non existent. But they don't, only a minority number do. That has nothing todo with politics or the media.
I think you'll find that per capita we're actually the most charitable nation on the planet. Just look at the national embarrassment of needing a telethon for 'Children in Need' and how much is raised. And that's just one of thousands of charities. Utterly disgraceful that we rely on charity to pay for childrens' hospitals and disabled war veterans. Now we have 'Help the Heroes' ..you (the govt) broke them, so you pay for them.

It's also the case that the poorest give the most, vastly more so when you measure it as a proportion of net disposable income.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jukebox

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm
Euler wrote:
Ruth Davidson is quite likely to be a future PM I reckon. Very capable politician.
Not in a million years.
I'll bear it in mind for trading purposes Euler. Boris Johnson as next PM proved to be an excellent trade last night - tiny risk high return 150 to back and sold at 12.5 while everyone was wondering if TM would resign.
ShaunWhite

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm
Euler wrote:
Not in a million years.
I'll bear it in mind for trading purposes Euler. Boris Johnson as next PM proved to be an excellent trade last night - tiny risk high return 150 to back and sold at 12.5 while everyone was wondering if TM would resign.
They should just pick one of the many splendid candidates they had to choose from when they selected Mrs May.

I'd put my shilling on Amber Rudd. Boris would be a disaster for the Tories, they've been desperate to distance themselves from the arrogant old Etonians.
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
the lack of regard for the needs and opinions of the wider population is frankly disgraceful.
I have to disagree.

Tuition fees means everything to the young. Never the less, they should have realised there was more at stake here. Now Brexit is in real jeopardy.

If we stay in the EU, & immigration remains the same=

1. Lower wages.
2. Very likely the young will never own their own home.
3. More pollution & waste
4. More traffic
5. More housing, means less countryside (something the Green Party don't understand..)
6. More energy requirements, means fracking highly likely (very bad, water risk)
7. Less school places
8. More strain on doctors/NHS

etc etc

And Corbyn's credit card, won't cover it.

A lot of people are very nervous today. Because they genuinely care about country
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:05 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
the lack of regard for the needs and opinions of the wider population is frankly disgraceful.
I have to disagree.

Tuition fees means everything to the young. Never the less, they should have realised there was more at stake here. Now Brexit is in real jeopardy.

A lot of people are very nervous today. Because they genuinely care about country
The young voted the way they did as a protest against the work opportunties at risk from an extremist brexit.

They know the country is screwed in the ways you describe and are angry because they're now prisoners here, unable to move to freely across continental Europe for work and better living conditions. Statistically the young are internationalists.

How many non-EU immigrants did May let in in the last 7 years? ...almost a million.

Just last year :
____________All ____ British Non-British EU Non-EU
Immigration 588,000 74,000 514,000 250,000 264,000
Emigration 339,000 134,000 206,000 117,000 88,000
Net Migration 248,000 -60,000 308,000 133,000 175,000

If you want net immigration at 100,000....look at the bottom line. Extreme Brexiteers want to ban the people who are culturally like us, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, and let in 1000s of people from totally different cultures (Syrians, Lybians, Afgans, etc) so long as they have 'skills' to offer. I'm proud of my country's culture and don't want it traded for whoever might add a pound to the economy. If I need more people I'd choose a Belgian over an Iraqi anyday, even if he was a 'skilled' worker who passed the points scoring system.

A lot of people are very happy today. Because they genuinely care about social justice.
LeTiss

Young people are naive, they might not realise it yet, but they will once they hit their 30's and they have become more cynical and battle hardened. Then they will understand that Labour are full of piss and wind, and always leave the country bankrupt
scribbles

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm
Young people are naive, they might not realise it yet, but they will once they hit their 30's and they have become more cynical and battle hardened. Then they will understand that Labour are full of piss and wind, and always leave the country bankrupt
Bingo, Corbyns idealism promised 'free money' to every major demographic to capture the vote, lets see how long this takes to unravel if Labour get in power with him at the helm.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”