Do you have to place both back and lay bets?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
deggsy10

Hi guys. Just starting out and haven't even got the software yet. Been watching several of peters videos numerous times and I'm still struggling to work out exactly what Peter is doing at the trade out/exit points. If I place a back order at say 2.62 which gets matched and then the price continues to drop. If for example the price has come down to 2.48 just before the race starts, what do I physically have to do to exit/trade out? Do I just click on the hedge button without having placed a lay bet or do I have to place a lay bet first?
deggsy10

Thanks for that. Am I right in saying that in my example of backing at 2.62. I would only physically place a lay bet in if I felt that the odds were going to drop lower than the current trade price? If I was happy to exit at the current price, would I simply click on the trade out and then hedge without physically placing a lay bet as the software would automatically place the lay bet for me?
Dallas

deggsy10 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:31 am
Thanks for that. Am I right in saying that in my example of backing at 2.62. I would only physically place a lay bet in if I felt that the odds were going to drop lower than the current trade price? If I was happy to exit at the current price, would I simply click on the trade out and then hedge without physically placing a lay bet as the software would automatically place the lay bet for me?
Assuming your trading on the ladder and have backed you don't have to place an actual lay bet just click the green up/hedge figure in line with the odds you want to exit at and the software will recognise it needs to place a lay bet and will also calculate the stake required in

Its the same the other way round, if you lay you don't need to place a back bet you can just green up at the current price or at a higher price just by clicking the green up/hedge figure and Bet Angel will know to place a back bet and calculate the amount required
deggsy10

Dallas wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:47 am
deggsy10 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:31 am
Assuming your trading on the ladder and have backed you don't have to place an actual lay bet just click the green up/hedge figure in line with the odds you want to exit at and the software will recognise it needs to place a lay bet and will also calculate the stake required in

Its the same the other way round, if you lay you don't need to place a back bet you can just green up at the current price or at a higher price just by clicking the green up/hedge figure and Bet Angel will know to place a back bet and calculate the amount required
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I thought this was the case but earlier I was watching some of peters videos and there was one were he placed a back order and then also placed lay bets which I didn't think you had to do so I'm still a bit confused!
Freepunt

Peter hedges out when he has finished trading. So he places his back and lay bets then hedges out at the end, just before the race starts.
Bluesky

deggsy10 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 am
Hi guys. Just starting out and haven't even got the software yet.
A massive plus point for me in choosing BA over the competition was the support you get from this forum. Take your question here, you asked it at 9:40 on a Sunday morning and had an answer in less than 25 minutes. This is fantastic support.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”