VPS questions

A place to discuss anything.
brianpotter

To use basic functions ie back lay dutch is the basic package ok ?
Euler

Yes
brianpotter

tar
Wildly

I'm using Bet Angel VPS and last couple of days response is noticably slow and unstable with dropouts showing error 0x108 remote desktop.
Connection info on the BA remote computer shows
[Network details]
Transport protocol: UDP
Round-trip time: 320 ms
Available bandwidth: 20.78 Mbps but earlier was 180 Kbps
Frame rate: between 0 and 8 FPS

Task manager shows only using 9% CPU but using 65% memory.
My basic subscription since 2019 only provides 2GB RAM. I see the price I pay now is worth 4GB :roll: :(

I have a new PC at this end using Windows 11 but I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection as before, unless I've missed something in the set-up.

Speedtest at this end, in Australia is fine.
Speedtest on BA server seems shows fast speed but high download latency around 400ms.

Anyone able to help please ?
Any Australian based BA VPS subscribers experiencing issues or able to say what is normal round-trip time ?

Unsure if at all related but I'm unable to connect at all using RD client on my phone, error code there is 0x4, that was first encountered months ago.
Wildly

Wildly wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:27 pm
I'm using Bet Angel VPS and last couple of days response is noticably slow and unstable with dropouts showing error 0x108 remote desktop.
[Network details]

My basic subscription since 2019 only provides 2GB RAM. I see the price I pay now is worth 4GB :roll: :(

I have a new PC at this end using Windows 11 but I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection as before, unless I've missed something in the set-up.

Speedtest on BA server seems shows fast speed but high download latency around 400ms.

Any Australian based BA VPS subscribers experiencing issues or able to say what is normal round-trip time ?

Unsure if at all related but I'm unable to connect at all using RD client on my phone, error code there is 0x4, that was first encountered months ago.
I understand that most forum users won't have experienced this issue to this but can't believe no one has.
This from Peter 2 months ago
https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/conn ... s-windows/
provides an overview. But no specifics as to selections in the Remote Desktop Connection app available under the tabs title Display, Experience, Advanced.

Searching online I've found dozens of suggestions to overcome lag and references to issues UDP in RDP on Windows 11 22H2.
I've disabled UDP via regedit so now my transport protocol is TCP, but that hasn't worked.
I've unticked Persistent Bitmap Caching in the Experience tab of Remote Desktop Connection app.
I can't power on my old PC to see what settings I had on the Remote Desktop Connection app and perhaps there were fewer app settings 4 years ago , I don't remember ever chosing under Display tab the screen size or colour depth of the remote desktop.
Under Experience tab I've left as 'Detect connection quality automatically'
Under Advanced tab, are we supposed to be using an RD Gateway Server ? I've left as Automatically Detect RD Gateway server settings, the connection method shows Gateway Login not in use.
I'm at a loss as to how to overcome this.
I
Euler

Wildly wrote:
[Network details]

I missed this message first time around.

The VPS's are delivered optimised for the best connection, we modified a number of things before handing them over.

You will always get some latency to Australia due to the laws of physics but the core connection on the VPS should be good. About 400ms seems about right when we have tested data transfers from Australia to the UK.

You are untitled to upgrade to the latest specification if you wish. You can just order the new one and cancel the old one and transfer over settings. That may be a good place to start.

Also, make sure all updates are installed. August updates are rolling out at the moment.
Wildly

Euler wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:21 am
Wildly wrote:
[Network details]

I missed this message first time around.

The VPS's are delivered optimised for the best connection, we modified a number of things before handing them over.

You will always get some latency to Australia due to the laws of physics but the core connection on the VPS should be good. About 400ms seems about right when we have tested data transfers from Australia to the UK.

You are untitled to upgrade to the latest specification if you wish. You can just order the new one and cancel the old one and transfer over settings. That may be a good place to start.

Also, make sure all updates are installed. August updates are rolling out at the moment.
Thanks for your response Peter.

I have all updates installed.

I will look to upgrade to latest spec server but unless I've messed with the settings on the server I'm using I'd be surprised if that solved it.
Can I see what the BA Server Edition settings should be, particularly for communications please ?

Makes sense that round trip Australia - UK will take 300 to 400ms so good to know that is normal. The lag I'm experiencing is 2 to 3 seconds to switch between tabs such as one-click and ladder or to switch markets or really to do anything that changes what is on the screen. It is taking this time to bring into focus the screen. This never occurred with the previous PC here or the previous version of RDC app. Makes me think it is a settings tweak that is required. I've tried changing RDC Experience tab to Modem (56 kbps) and Display tab to lower colour depth which were suggestions found online.

Any suggestions of a different Remote Desktop software than the Microsoft one ?
Euler

I also use Remotix as that will sync between devices, unlike Microsoft. It is paid, but you can get a free trial which would allow you to see if that makes a difference.
foxwood

RDC splits the screen into small areas and just sends screen shots of changed fragments. I've found these settings work best with various virtual and dedicated servers - these are uk/uk but apply regardless - the rest is down to your local isp / network and the routing. BA have probably covered much of this on their VPS service setup but worth a look.

Display: Full screen Large, High Colour (16 bit), display connection bar
Local Resources: clipboard only
Experience: Detect connection quality automatically. Persistent bitmap caching, auto reconnect

Server screen resolution: 1280 x 1024 - not changeable on my setup - set by provider. My monitors are that size anyway. If yours is a higher resolution I'd try and get that reduced - all those extra pixels have to be sent at a network time cost.

The 16bit isn't as pretty but reduces the load considerably and caching is vital.

One other thing I do is to change the port number RDC uses. This hides things a bit from the more amateur hackers who try to break your login and saturate the server IP while they try. Even though changed I still find I can't log in at times for several attempts - investigation shows server attacks targeting the login at that time so some of them still find the port and bombard it with hacks. Even when you are connected these attacks will continue in the background and impact server performance so any network services not needed eg ftp and iis web sites etc should be disabled.
Wildly

Thanks Peter for the Remotix suggestion.

Thanks Foxwood for your RDC settings details.
Screen resolution on the remote server is 1920 x 1080 and can't be changed by me remotely. My local PC is the same, doesn't make a difference if I select display 'full screen' or '1920 x 1080' in RDC settings
I've used your settings but am still experiencing the issue.

What transport protocol do you use, UDP ? TCP?

Does your local machine have Windows 11 ?
foxwood

Wildly wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:47 pm

TCP and TLSv1.2 packets according to wireshark. UDP risks losing packets which could be critical.

Running mstsc.exe v10.0.22621.1778 dated 18.06.23 - windows 11

Ancient Server 2012 - works fine to iPad and iPhone as well.
Anbell

Remotix looks interesting.

I use both Remote Desktop and RDP.
Euler

Wildly wrote:

Screen resolution on the remote server is 1920 x 1080 and can't be changed by me remotely. My local PC is the same, doesn't make a difference if I select display 'full screen' or '1920 x 1080' in RDC settings

You should be able to set the desktop size from your client software. The only time I've seen RDP struggle is when you try to span multiple monitors at high resolution.
Wildly

Euler wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:00 am
Wildly wrote:

You should be able to set the desktop size from your client software. The only time I've seen RDP struggle is when you try to span multiple monitors at high resolution.
I'd misread "can't be changed from remote session" and thought I couldn't change for a remote session.
Also I'd only tried the client software display settings of 1920 x 1080 and of 'full screen' and both were showing as 1920 x 1080 on the remote session. I can set as smaller display which may be performing better but is not ideal.

At full screen the lag is not constant now with the above settings changes but sometimes present. I'll test with different remote software.

Return to “General discussion”