General discussion : How much do you vary staking level

A place to discuss anything.
stueytrader

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm not meaning going on tilt and chucking the bank on a lay just to clarify first.. :D

But how much do you deliberately alter stake range. And for what reasons?

I know there is price range for selections traded, that is certainly my basic criteria for altering stake. But other factors, for example your degree of confidence, views on possible larger moves etc?

Dallas

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Excluding adjusting them depending on the liquidity and how much a market can take about the only reason I have for changing my staking is the degree of confidence I have in whats happening in the market

Euler

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 pm

If you look at Newmarket today there is £300k in prize money and only £30k at Chepstow so I will ramp up stakes at Newmarket and gently prod the market at Chepstow with smaller stakes unless I feel confident it is trading well.

spreadbetting

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Same as Dallas, stakes for me are simply decided due to the available liquidity because you either don't want to spook the market or miss out on the increased liquidity of bigger meetings. Other than that it comes down to the confidence you have in where you assume the market's moving.

stueytrader

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 am

So, mostly the liquidity seems the biggest criteria for upping or downing staking from the replies above.

I can see that the amount the market can take is a good issue to consider, though possibly would anyone ever consider that putting a larger amount is a positive? E.g. moving a market into a position you wanted. I realise that comes under the 'spoofing' area of trading of course.

Derek27

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 am

stueytrader wrote:
So, mostly the liquidity seems the biggest criteria for upping or downing staking from the replies above.

I can see that the amount the market can take is a good issue to consider, though possibly would anyone ever consider that putting a larger amount is a positive? E.g. moving a market into a position you wanted. I realise that comes under the 'spoofing' area of trading of course.
The main problem with that is that if the money's taken you may not be able to close trade. You could have £500 backed at 4.0 and find there's just a few £5/10/20 bets all the way up to 20!

SeaHorseRacing

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:49 am

Imo vary staking is the one aspect in trading which takes the longest to learn. For some it could take years as until your using big stakes it’s hard to know what the market will take.

Dallas

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 am

stueytrader wrote:

A general rule of thumb is watching the next three prices behind you and if the stake you're about to use exceeds whats available at these then you have a problem if you need to get out quickly without taking a bigger loss than needed

stueytrader

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 am

Dallas wrote:
stueytrader wrote:

A general rule of thumb is watching the next three prices behind you and if the stake you're about to use exceeds whats available at these then you have a problem if you need to get out quickly without taking a bigger loss than needed
I do get the points about needing sufficient liquidity to make the exit, I agree. Though that does sort of suggest that the entire concept of spoofing/manipulation would never work in any market, so is that true....?

Dallas

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 am

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 am
Dallas wrote:
stueytrader wrote:

I do get the points about needing sufficient liquidity to make the exit, I agree. Though that does sort of suggest that the entire concept of spoofing/manipulation would never work in any market, so is that true....?
If you were intentionally spoofing you need to know exactly what you're doing and select the right times etc, even then there is always a risk of it being taken. If you do it at near random or without any idea of what you're doing you will get caught out sooner rather than later.

I've certainly lost count of the times over the years I've seen someone try to manipulate a price only to have their entire stake swallowed - its then quite comical watching them (and profiting) from their panic as they try to get out with next to no money available

Return to “General discussion”

• Information