Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
andy28

Fries Selection is key, crinkle cuts my fav, I microwave them first so thawed out , dry them and toss in a bowl with a small amount of cooking oil, then season and your good to go
Derek27

:D (I wouldn't even pay 99p for the chicken goolies, never mind £4.69!)

Screenshot 2024-01-15 121642.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:17 pm

On my last journey back from Edinburgh I had a 1hr wait at Manchester Piccadilly. Burger King had burgers between £7 and £10. Talk about captive market.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:36 pm
Derek27 wrote:

On my last journey back from Edinburgh I had a 1hr wait at Manchester Piccadilly. Burger King had burgers between £7 and £10. Talk about captive market.
I beggars belief why people pay that much for burgers and chips. You can get a decent meal at a restaurant for about £12.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I beggars belief why people pay that much for burgers and chips. You can get a decent meal at a restaurant for about £12.
There were no chips. Just a burger. The irony is you can make 4 or 5 from 500g of beef mince with spices of your choice. But if you're in Manchester Piccadilly rail station for an hour, you're stuffed.
Cough up or starve.
But let's be happy. You can make your own burgers so easily. Loads of recipes out there. The basic concept is lob mince and "some ingredients" into a bowl, get your hands in there (clean, of course) mush it up, split into equal bits and form into patties. Fry. Easy peasy. :-)
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

There were no chips. Just a burger. The irony is you can make 4 or 5 from 500g of beef mince with spices of your choice. But if you're in Manchester Piccadilly rail station for an hour, you're stuffed.
Cough up or starve.
But let's be happy. You can make your own burgers so easily. Loads of recipes out there. The basic concept is lob mince and "some ingredients" into a bowl, get your hands in there (clean, of course) mush it up, split into equal bits and form into patties. Fry. Easy peasy. :-)
the trick of course is to not OVER pulverise the patty, otherwise it goes a bit rubbery without any varying texture. a light touch with everything else prepp'd and mixed BEFORE adding to the meat (if using meat).

as an omnivore, i have to say that i do prefer my veggie burgers to any meat based version that i've made. possibly due to reliance on spices etc to add the main flavour. basic ingredients on my veggie ones:

patty
-------
fresh beetroot
kidney beans
mushrooms
gram flour (or plain flour)
oats
onion (cut small and fried in olive oil [if you can afford it :)] til golden with garlic added in final 30 seconds)
egg

spices (and herbs)
-------
cumin
paprika
oregano
turmeric
chilli
salt and pepper

method
---------
mix the patty ingredients and spices using a magimix or by hand. and now for the bit that takes them beyond. flatten out the patty into burger sized portions and place on greaseproof paper and put into a steamer for 5 mins and let it cool. then, fry them in a pan as per normal.

The steamer part really makes the big difference as it gives the patty that BITE texture (and stops them falling apart) that frying them straight away doesn't.

Anyway - slow monday, but a good reliable recipe and tastier than meat -enjoy ;)

[edit] - found a pic from recent cook
veggie-burgers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jimibt on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conduirez

jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:15 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Cough up or starve.
the trick of course is to not OVER pulverise the patty, otherwise it goes a bit rubbery without any varying texture. a light touch with everything else prepp'd and mixed BEFORE adding to the meat (if using meat).

as an omnivore, i have to say that i do prefer my veggie burgers to any meat based version that i've made. possibly due to reliance on spices etc to add the main flavour. basic ingredients on my veggie ones:

patty
-------
fresh beetroot
kidney beans
mushrooms
oats
onion (cut small and fried in olive oil [if you can afford it :)] til golden with garlic added in final 30 seconds)
egg

spices (and herbs)
-------
cumin
paprika
oregano
turmeric
chilli
salt and pepper

method
---------
mix the patty ingredients and spices using a magimix or by hand. and now for the bit that takes them beyond. flatten out the patty into burger sized portions and place on greaseproof paper and put into a steamer for 5 mins and let it cool. then, fry them in a pan as per normal.

The steamer part really makes the big difference as it gives the patty that BITE texture (and stops them falling apart) that frying them straight away doesn't.

Anyway - slow monday, but a good reliable recipe and tastier than meat -enjoy ;)
The last time I tried to do my own burgers at Manchester Piccadilly I got chucked out of the station for trying to light my camping stove on the platform. :D
greenmark

jimibt wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Cough up or starve.

patty
-------
fresh beetroot
kidney beans
mushrooms
oats
egg

spices (and herbs)
-------
cumin
paprika
oregano
turmeric
chilli
salt and pepper

method
---------

veggie-burgers-jim.jpg
Yes, don't smash you patties. But could you add some qtys to your recipe? I tried Kerridge's bean burger and they were mealy and tasteless.
Some quants would be useful for me as a starting point, if you can.

But in general who doesn't like a burger? My late bro-in-law (chef) would sniff derisively at many meals, but a burger was one of his favourites. Total control, super fast. It's genius!
weemac

How could I resist? (I'm not even all that keen on Christmas pud!) :lol:
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Cough up or starve.

patty
-------
fresh beetroot
kidney beans
mushrooms
oats
egg

spices (and herbs)
-------
cumin
paprika
oregano
turmeric
chilli
salt and pepper

method
---------

veggie-burgers.jpg
Using the steamer sounds interesting. I've heard some people mix ice flakes into the beef to help it stick together but I've never had a problem getting it to stick together. Just use wet hands when moulding the burger.

Never liked veggie burgers but as the Australian Open's on, I'll have to try an Aussie burger (beef & beetroot). :)
Derek27

Screenshot 2024-01-29 043851.png
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:39 am
The graphic says double muffin for £1.19. I was charged £1.99, thiving bustards!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:33 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:39 am
The graphic says double muffin for £1.19. I was charged £1.99, thiving bustards!
Not so happy,
firlandsfarm

The French farmers have blockaded the 8 main routes into Paris and not letting anything in, including food! :D It seems they are protesting about EU bureaucracy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kai

The French know how to revolution, I'll give them that

I have updated the Wiki page accordingly, never knew it was this easy!

Return to “Chill Out Area”