Calculate profit from X number of ticks

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
ghostrider

Greetings,

I have a spreadsheet of Data with say, BSPs and Inrunning lows.

I have a function which allows me to calculate the number of ticks between the two values. What I'd like to be able to do is work out, from a flat stake, what the profit would be (or percentage of stake) for the whole series.

So for example, if I had:

BSP ------------------- IRL
4.5 ------------------- 3.5
3 -------------------- 1.01
6.63 -------------------- 1.42
2.76 -------------------- 2.68
16.13 -------------------- 11
4.11 ------------------- 1.52

And so forth, I'm trying to find a way in which I could have a third column which would show what the profit would be if for example staking £10 on each of them, assuming the IRL was taken as the lay price, taking the tick increments into consideration.

I hope this makes sense, turns out its a lot harder to put the concept into words when in my head it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks,
gazuty

ghostrider wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 pm
Greetings,

I have a spreadsheet of Data with say, BSPs and Inrunning lows.

I have a function which allows me to calculate the number of ticks between the two values. What I'd like to be able to do is work out, from a flat stake, what the profit would be (or percentage of stake) for the whole series.

So for example, if I had:

BSP ------------------- IRL
4.5 ------------------- 3.5
3 -------------------- 1.01
6.63 -------------------- 1.42
2.76 -------------------- 2.68
16.13 -------------------- 11
4.11 ------------------- 1.52

And so forth, I'm trying to find a way in which I could have a third column which would show what the profit would be if for example staking £10 on each of them, assuming the IRL was taken as the lay price, taking the tick increments into consideration.

I hope this makes sense, turns out its a lot harder to put the concept into words when in my head it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks,
viewtopic.php?t=13077

or for your example

£10 * A1 / B1 (A1 is BSP and B1 is IRL)
ghostrider

Thanks will give it a try.
MartinJWilliams

I wondered how you got on with this as I'm trying to do something similar but in reverse, I'm trying to calculate the profit from laying with a set liability from BSP to IRHigh. I'm struggling with understanding the formulas involved. I've got the easy bit, I think.

Stake * (BSP-1) = Liability

I've used some VBA from the forum (total newbie to VBA) to calculate the number of ticks from the BSP to the IRHigh but I'm unsure of how to calculate the profit per tick from the BSP to the IRHigh, based on the relevant stake.
Anbell

MartinJWilliams wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:01 pm
I wondered how you got on with this as I'm trying to do something similar but in reverse, I'm trying to calculate the profit from laying with a set liability from BSP to IRHigh. I'm struggling with understanding the formulas involved. I've got the easy bit, I think.

Stake * (BSP-1) = Liability

I've used some VBA from the forum (total newbie to VBA) to calculate the number of ticks from the BSP to the IRHigh but I'm unsure of how to calculate the profit per tick from the BSP to the IRHigh, based on the relevant stake.
Having read a few of your posts, it seems that you are trying to calculate the profits between BSP and IRHigh. That is easy to do without ticks. Is there a reason why you are trying to use ticks?
MartinJWilliams

Thanks for replying.
I'm using Proform's system builder to download large batches of form data. Proform will tell me if a strategy is profitable by either backing or laying but there's no functionality to tell if a system is profitable as a B2L or L2B strategy. A batch of exported data may show that a lay strategy isn't profitable but if the majority of winners traded with an IRhigh of say 20 ticks as an example, a L2B strategy may be profitable. I therefore wanted to download the system data into excel, run some vba to calculate tick differences between the BSP and the IRHigh/IRLow, calculate P&L etc. I could then experiment with tick offsets to find optimal strategies.
I've got as far as rounding the BSP to the nearest tick size, calculating the tick difference but I'm fairly new to this so am running into roadblocks with the next steps. As the value per tick changes depending on the BSP, I cant get my head around how to work this out.
I've included an example as to where I've got up to. It could be I'm looking at this the wrong way but as I said, I'm fairly new to this and it seems to make logical sense in my head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

MartinJWilliams wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:31 am
Thanks for replying.
I'm using Proform's system builder to download large batches of form data. Proform will tell me if a strategy is profitable by either backing or laying but there's no functionality to tell if a system is profitable as a B2L or L2B strategy. A batch of exported data may show that a lay strategy isn't profitable but if the majority of winners traded with an IRhigh of say 20 ticks as an example, a L2B strategy may be profitable. I therefore wanted to download the system data into excel, run some vba to calculate tick differences between the BSP and the IRHigh/IRLow, calculate P&L etc. I could then experiment with tick offsets to find optimal strategies.
I've got as far as rounding the BSP to the nearest tick size, calculating the tick difference but I'm fairly new to this so am running into roadblocks with the next steps. As the value per tick changes depending on the BSP, I cant get my head around how to work this out.
I've included an example as to where I've got up to. It could be I'm looking at this the wrong way but as I said, I'm fairly new to this and it seems to make logical sense in my head.
I can see what you're trying to do, but 'number of ticks between BSP and IRHigh' seems like a difficult route to get there. I suspect that % of BSP or % of implied chance (BSP) would be more direct (and also simpler)
grimm

MartinJWilliams wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:31 am
Thanks for replying.
Have look this video for p&l. After 4min. I made l2b system and fillter some trade via speed rating and p&l reports. I can share system file if you interested. Just pm I send you file link.
https://youtu.be/BaZcTZPObsQ?si=nQsKpYYkqXFTmwuK

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”