The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
conduirez

I was reading about the history of football and came across the origins of the word soccer.

Now, I always assumed the word soccer came from another language like Spanish or Portuguese and from somewhere like South America, but I was surprised to find the word actually came from the UK and was invented in the 19th century and is a short form for the term Association Football.

It's amazing you can go years making an assumption and then finding out that you were wrong all the time.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 pm
Starmer is an absolute tit! He's gonna win the next election, he can afford to throw away one by-election and withdraw support for comments of this anti-Semitic idiot and keep his promise of zero tolerance.
Labour finally withdraw their support for Ali. What a pratt Starmer is. He could have done it immediately, but he dithers and will now be accused of doing a U-turn. :roll:
They took the decision after new information regarding further comments the candidate made.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 pm
Starmer is an absolute tit! He's gonna win the next election, he can afford to throw away one by-election and withdraw support for comments of this anti-Semitic idiot and keep his promise of zero tolerance.
Labour finally withdraw their support for Ali. What a pratt Starmer is. He could have done it immediately, but he dithers and will now be accused of doing a U-turn. :roll:
They took the decision after new information regarding further comments the candidate made.
It's a handy excuse, but his initial comments were bad enough. If you're going to have a candidate that falls for conspiracy theories they may just as well have Alexmr2 representing them.
Derek27

King still smiling and waving at people turning up to watch him come out of hospital. If people gathered to watch me come out of hospital, I'd be sticking my two fingers up at them. :lol:
Derek27

Starmer used the word "decisive" five times in two minutes. He's beginning to sound like Liz Truss.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:04 pm
Starmer used the word "decisive" five times in two minutes. He's beginning to sound like Liz Truss.
His credentials as a PM have yet to be tested. But I'd put my house on him not screwing up like Truss/Kwarteng did.
greenmark

conduirez wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am
I was reading about the history of football and came across the origins of the word soccer.

Now, I always assumed the word soccer came from another language like Spanish or Portuguese and from somewhere like South America, but I was surprised to find the word actually came from the UK and was invented in the 19th century and is a short form for the term Association Football.

It's amazing you can go years making an assumption and then finding out that you were wrong all the time.
Indeed. Look at Putin and Trump.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
His credentials as a PM have yet to be tested. But I'd put my house on him not screwing up like Truss/Kwarteng did.
Yeah, he'll make a complete arse of himself, but he's the best bum for the job. :mrgreen:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Yeah, he'll make a complete arse of himself, but he's the best bum for the job. :mrgreen:
Indeed. Our leaders/wannabees are a pretty mixed bag of incompetence.
Can anyone remember a UK politician with real integrity and heft?
Derek27

When I heard another MP's been suspended I thought, that should level things up and take some pressure off Starmer. Turns out it's another Labour MP. :lol: :lol:
Derek27

The people of Rochdale have no Labour candidate to vote for ... but at least they have a choice between three former Labour candidates to choose from. :lol: :lol: :lol:
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:05 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:53 pm

Rest assured I would not shoot a bird or any other animal unless my life or the lives of the people I love depended on it.
But still it's really annoying, mainly because I don't know what it is. Chaffinches drove me nuts till I saw one
outside my kiitchen door chirping away and I thought "Okay, sing your song".
There is the possibility it’s unwell or has a disease. As to what it is then take a photo and post it on here, I’m sure someone will know what it is etc.
Hadn't thought of the unwell possibility. I've tried to spot it, but failed. I can't describe it's call. It's very repetetive, like a stunted blackbird or starling but has really imitative elements like a phones ringtone. And no it isn't a neighbour's phone, But it's driving me nuts.
You can download apps that will ID the chirping
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 am
greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:05 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:49 pm

There is the possibility it’s unwell or has a disease. As to what it is then take a photo and post it on here, I’m sure someone will know what it is etc.
Hadn't thought of the unwell possibility. I've tried to spot it, but failed. I can't describe it's call. It's very repetetive, like a stunted blackbird or starling but has really imitative elements like a phones ringtone. And no it isn't a neighbour's phone, But it's driving me nuts.
You can download apps that will ID the chirping
I'm working on it. Pretty sure I spotted him on next doors roof line, but the lght was behind him so I could only see a silhouette. Looked about blackbird shape and size but the call isn't anything like a blackbird. Def not a thrush. It's not a tuneful rambling call like a blackbird or thrush.
Derek27

What a stroke of luck for Starmer. He really needed something to bury his recent cock-up!

Peter Bone turned up to Wellingborough to support his wife or partner. I'm pleased to say there are no reports, as yet, of him flashing himself at the counting venue. :)
Derek27

Question Time's turning into a mudslinging match, using antisemitic MPs and the ones that flash themselves/pinch bums as ammunition. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chill Out Area”