One of Betfair's most successful customers?

A place to discuss anything.
JasBarrow

Has Betfair promoted Caan Berry as one of their most successful customers as he's claiming in his blog post?

And if the answer is no how can he get away with claiming otherwise?
PapaShango

I think anybody can claim whatever they want to claim, and nobody can ever really prove any different.

And I suppose technically the above statement is true. He’s a betfair customer, and has been successful ( in his blogging and selling ebooks etc) , though how successful he has been at trading, who knows ?

ShaunWhite tried to solve the thorny issue of credibility earlier in the year, and it just ended up creating more questions than answers !

Basically, if someone wants to say they are a successful trader, then they are a successful trader. Betfair certainly won’t come out publicly and say otherwise, would probably be breaking data laws or something if they did .

Even years ago when that fraudster was making outlandish claims in the news of the world, they only partly distanced themselves from what he was saying. They never commented personally on the guys account. They just said something along the lines of there were no lay bets made of 100k upwards on the favourite at Cheltenham that week ( as the fraudster was claiming he was doing ).
Derek27

JasBarrow wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:21 pm
Has Betfair promoted Caan Berry as one of their most successful customers as he's claiming in his blog post?

It would help if you posted a link to it.

I claim to be one of Betfair's most successful traders. The operative words are "one of". ;)
Anbell

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am

I claim to be one of Betfair's most successful traders. The operative words are "one of". ;)
I claim to be one of the least successful, but I dont have any actual proof.
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
JasBarrow wrote:

Links to that site get auto-moderated as our name is used there for SEO purposes with no link back. So see it as a form of reciprocation.

I was with Betfair when they profiled customers for that campaign and saw how they made their decision. So it's a false narrative to suggest it was based on being very successful. Caan has been lost for some time and it only makes it worse that he continues to pursue this sort of narrative.

I don't think people particularly begrudge anybody making a living by being an 'expert' but it's false narratives that people don't like.
LeTiss

I think most people know my views on Caan..

I don't follow his activities, or advice.
I haven't for a long time.

I was very happy to tolerate Caan, as he was promoting the Exchange, which can only be seen as a good thing

However, when he started to try and belittle PW on social media, alarm bells started to ring
That's not what you expect of a professional trader.
It felt like it was born out of envy/jealously.....and that's invariably because he's not doing as well as he would like you to believe, and certainly isn't PW's league, which he claimed to be

Low & behold not long after he changed his Twitter banner to show himself and PW at some kind of conference
So in actual fact, he had the utmost respect for Peter.....proving that his social media trolling was pure envy

Needless to say, Caan blocked me on Twitter when I challenged him on these issues :lol:
Emmson

Peter & the marketer were getting on OK in a video I saw, may have been Smarkets with a yank, maybe 4 or 5 years old now.

EDIT

No it was Matchbook and I've found it, sitting next to each other getting along merrily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4F6YIu6ZM
LeTiss

That's the one, Emmson

Caan had an image from that day on his Twitter banner.
So, why would you do that....whilst at the same time attempting to take the piss out of the other person on that banner?

Perhaps I'm naturally suspicious, or just plain cynical.....but something about that seems strange to me
JasBarrow

Derek27 wrote:
JasBarrow wrote:

The link was removed but it's the last entry in his blog from a few days ago titled "Predicting steams and drifts"
Kai

Advertising in general basically needs exaggeration to be effective and creative, incentive to sell is very strong so people always do it.

What surprised me about CB is his age, always thought he was much older than me but he's somehow younger.

Realistically, for the end user out there, it's fair to say CB has an overkill of credibility for his intended purposes and audiences.
Naffman

What's happened to Steve Howe, definitely gone off the radar
The Silk Run

Kai wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:36 pm
Advertising in general basically needs exaggeration to be effective and creative, incentive to sell is very strong so people always do it.

What surprised me about CB is his age, always thought he was much older than me but he's somehow younger.

Realistically, for the end user out there, it's fair to say CB has an overkill of credibility for his intended purposes and audiences.
Their's no trade off in this regard. Your better looking, and far more intelligent ;)
Kai

The Silk Run wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:39 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Their's no trade off in this regard. Your better looking, and far more intelligent ;)
Kai

Naffman wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Think I've seen him do some low-key workshops recently?
alexmr2

Naffman wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 pm
I remember SH making a claim with a screenshot that one of his students went on to make hundreds of thousands in lifetime P&L.

I do wonder what happens to people. Transparency would be interesting to give everyone an idea of what to expect rather than the illusion that is often sold to us of "make a good living from this in a few weeks or months".

Can they still trade successfully to this day and do they make more or less than before?
Were they successful back in the day but lost their edge when markets became more competitive?
Does PC2/3 mean trading is no longer worthwhile for them? (although not the case if you are top trader)
Did they start selling courses because of PC, because they couldn't make trading work/lost their edge or because they got bored of trading?
Did they make more money from trading or the courses?

Return to “General discussion”