Climate Change 🔥☄️🌋🌪

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Trader Pat

Nobody disputes that the Earth over its history has gone through many natural cooling and warming cycles but humans have been the main driver of climate change since the start of the industrial revolution, primarily due to burning fossil fuels. CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere have risen by over 40% since the 18th century, that's all on humans. Deforestation and livestock farming also massively contribute to the emissions of greenhouse gases.

The idea that this current warming trend is natural and has nothing to do with human activities is ridiculous.
Realrocknrolla

If you can’t beat em…. 😴😴😴
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Bezos
"I was told that seeing the Earth from space changes the lens from which you view the world but I was not prepared for just how much that would be true,"

Then announces £1.5bn restoring landscapes and transforming food systems.

Er.... has this high-functioning, well-informed, clever chap not been watching for the last decade (and beyond).

Possibly the scariest endictment of how detached from reality powerful, wealthy people really are.
Derek27

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:38 pm
If you can’t beat em…. 😴😴😴
Looks like BJ's falling asleep there. :)
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Bezos
"I was told that seeing the Earth from space changes the lens from which you view the world but I was not prepared for just how much that would be true,"

Er.... has this high-functioning, well-informed, clever chap not been watching for the last decade (and beyond).

Possibly the scariest endictment of how detached from reality powerful, wealthy people really are.

Just waffle at the end of the day

A bit like the first 'deal' of COP26; more than 100 world leaders have promised to end deforestation (and reverse it) by 2030, Brazil are among the signatories. Deforestation in Brazil could be ended next week if they really wanted to. There are lots of real time imaging satellites orbiting the Earth so surely it wouldn't be that difficult to see illegal logging in the Amazon and pass that information on to the Brazilian authorities?

These conferences are just pat each other on the back and kick the can down the road exercises.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:17 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Bezos

A bit like the first 'deal' of COP26; more than 100 world leaders have promised to end deforestation (and reverse it) by 2030, Brazil are among the signatories. Deforestation in Brazil could be ended next week if they really wanted to. There are lots of real time imaging satellites orbiting the Earth so surely it wouldn't be that difficult to see illegal logging in the Amazon and pass that information on to the Brazilian authorities?

These conferences are just pat each other on the back and kick the can down the road exercises.
Then again Pat, can any of these excesses be ended tomorrow? There are vested interests. Thats really the issue, it isn't me, you or Greta. Its people with a lot to lose that don't want to shift. Thats why I think Greta is great (arf!). She's very influential, untouchable and correct. She can say stuff politicians can't.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Then again Pat, can any of these excesses be ended tomorrow? There are vested interests. Thats really the issue, it isn't me, you or Greta. Its people with a lot to lose that don't want to shift. Thats why I think Greta is great (arf!). She's very influential, untouchable and correct. She can say stuff politicians can't.
As individuals the human race isn't very good at doing what's best for ourselves so I don't hold out much hope for us collectively.

Greta is a whole other conversation! Most of the 'kids' who become climate activists or anti nuclear campaigners or whatever all have to grow up when life happens. I think Greta is different because of her following so it looks like she'll be in the public eye for quite a while to come but judging by some of the coverage of her leaving the COP26 building today with her entourage it looks like she's gone full Megan Thee Stallion (without the drinks glass between her ass cheeks)!

Ultimately we're all hypocrites in one way or another, so I can say climate change is real and the world needs to sit up and take notice but I still eat meat and drive a petrol powered car. Difference between people like me and those at COP26 is we're amateur hypocrites and they're professional hypocrites. Everything a politician says, whatever the party or country is said to appease one group or other in their electorate and to pass the buck onto their successor.

It's all just hot air so they can live another day.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm
greenmark wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

As individuals the human race isn't very good at doing what's best for ourselves so I don't hold out much hope for us collectively.

Greta is a whole other conversation! Most of the 'kids' who become climate activists or anti nuclear campaigners or whatever all have to grow up when life happens. I think Greta is different because of her following so it looks like she'll be in the public eye for quite a while to come but judging by some of the coverage of her leaving the COP26 building today with her entourage it looks like she's gone full Megan Thee Stallion (without the drinks glass between her ass cheeks)!

Ultimately we're all hypocrites in one way or another, so I can say climate change is real and the world needs to sit up and take notice but I still eat meat and drive a petrol powered car. Difference between people like me and those at COP26 is we're amateur hypocrites and they're professional hypocrites. Everything a politician says, whatever the party or country is said to appease one group or other in their electorate and to pass the buck onto their successor.

Pretty bleak outlook. I'll still go with humans being the answer. Yes we are the cause, but i honestly believe humanity can unveil solutions to these problems.
Bur there is no time to waste. People who think R&D on climate solutions is a waste of money are missing the point. Human work has long ago ceased to be a question of food, water, shelter, energy. Now the work is how we do that without trashing the planet. I think we can do that, I really do.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:48 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm
greenmark wrote:

Pretty bleak outlook. I'll still go with humans being the answer. Yes we are the cause, but i honestly believe humanity can unveil solutions to these problems.
Bur there is no time to waste. People who think R&D on climate solutions is a waste of money are missing the point. Human work has long ago ceased to be a question of food, water, shelter, energy. Now the work is how we do that without trashing the planet. I think we can do that, I really do.

Yes we CAN do it but you said yourself, there are vested interests. And those interests for the average person on the street is themselves, and screw everybody else.
Kai

Honestly, looking into the near future, even if the planet is stuffed the humanity shouldn't be. Isn't our own greed going to ultimately "save" us? We want to conquer space so we'll get off this rock eventually.

We might be accelerating an extinction level event but we are accelerating the technological advances as well.

We're already living in space for the past 20 years, just on a very small scale : https://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/
peachflame

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:00 pm
Nobody disputes that the Earth over its history has gone through many natural cooling and warming cycles but humans have been the main driver of climate change since the start of the industrial revolution, primarily due to burning fossil fuels. CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere have risen by over 40% since the 18th century, that's all on humans. Deforestation and livestock farming also massively contribute to the emissions of greenhouse gases.

The idea that this current warming trend is natural and has nothing to do with human activities is ridiculous.
Yes, it's amazing how many still prefer to listen to David Bellamy or some bad journalism from the 1970's.
Kai

But this is a completely wrong forum for such topics, traders can barely look past the next market, let alone the future :D
Tuco

...a song ahead of it's time (August 1980):

Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdT_FRzfso

In the beginning was a world, man said: Let there be more light
Electric scenes, a maze of beams, neon bright to light our boring nights
On the second day he said: Let's have a gas
Hydrogen and CO are of the past
Let's make some germs, we'll poison the worms
Man will never be surpassed
And he said: Behold what I have done
I've made a better world for everyone
Nobody laugh, nobody cry
A world without end, forever and ever
Amen (Amen), Amen (Amen), Amen (Amen)
On the third we get green and blue pill pie
On the fourth we send rockets to the sky
On the fifth metal beasts and submarines
On the sixth man prepares his final dream:
In our image, let's make robots for our slaves
Imagine all the time that we can save
Computers, machines, the silicon dream
Seventh he retired from the scene
Nobody laugh, nobody cry
On the Eighth Day machine just got upset
A problem man had not foreseen as yet
No time for flight, a blinding light
Then nothing but a void, forever night
He said: Behold what man has done
There's not a world for anyone
Nobody laughed, nobody cried
World's at an end, everyone has died
Forever Amen (Amen), Amen (Amen), Amen (Amen)

...also Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day (14 August 2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drnoWCB8Mc
Derek27

Tuco wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:13 pm
...a song ahead of it's time (August 1980):

Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdT_FRzfso

In the beginning was a world, man said: Let there be more light
Electric scenes, a maze of beams, neon bright to light our boring nights
On the second day he said: Let's have a gas
Hydrogen and CO are of the past
Let's make some germs, we'll poison the worms
Man will never be surpassed
Nobody laugh, nobody cry
On the third we get green and blue pill pie
On the fourth we send rockets to the sky
On the fifth metal beasts and submarines
On the sixth man prepares his final dream:
In our image, let's make robots for our slaves
Imagine all the time that we can save
Computers, machines, the silicon dream
Seventh he retired from the scene
Nobody laugh, nobody cry
On the Eighth Day machine just got upset
A problem man had not foreseen as yet
No time for flight, a blinding light
Then nothing but a void, forever night

...also Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day (14 August 2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drnoWCB8Mc
Great song. I never looked at the lyrics but just assumed it was about nuclear war, which was the thing at the time.

Edit: I preferred her when she was younger. :)
Tuco

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:08 pm
Edit: I preferred her when she was younger. :)
...you and me also :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”