Biggest Month in Oz Racing

Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Morning
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Weather in Melbourne looks rubbish, I thought the sun was always shining in Victoria?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Turnover down on most of these races against last year. Had sort of expected some growth really.
grigsy

Bet Angel wrote:Weather in Melbourne looks rubbish, I thought the sun was always shining in Victoria?
:lol: Clearly the words of someone who has never been to Melbourne.
hxfish

i felt its more difficult to trade than a normal Saturday, some manipulators and spikers came in and ruined my day :cry:
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

It did feel a bit different didn't it? I noticed that as well, but wondered if it was just tiredness creeping in.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

grigsy wrote: :lol: Clearly the words of someone who has never been to Melbourne.
:lol:

The brochures always make it look so nice! Having spent more and more time looking at all things Aussie, it's now on my list on things to do. I think I am going to have to do the whole east coast thing.

I feel a bit sorry for Flemington as that's two big meetings this year that have really suffered because of the weather. I hope it dries out a bit before Tuesday.
Zenyatta

A softer track could bring the Irish mare 'Profound Beauty' into calculations.
Galilee66

Or, Zenyatta, the Kiwi horse, Harris Teed. ;)

Good luck on Tuesday

Galilee66
Galilee66

Sorry, meant Harris Tweed
Zenyatta

Straight-up 'Steel-Balls' punt. I am placing a straight-up win bet on Descarado in the greatest horse race in the world. Orginally from NZ and now an experienced local Australian horse, trained by top Australian trainer Gai Waterhouse, Descarado is the perfect soft-track stayer in form, as shown by its recent win in the Caulfield Cup, and at great value odds (15-1 last time I checked).
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

£4.4m matched on the big one. Well up on last year even taking into account the slightly shorter priced favourite.
LeTiss

Bet Angel wrote:
grigsy wrote: :lol: Clearly the words of someone who has never been to Melbourne.
:lol:

The brochures always make it look so nice! Having spent more and more time looking at all things Aussie, it's now on my list on things to do. I think I am going to have to do the whole east coast thing.

I feel a bit sorry for Flemington as that's two big meetings this year that have really suffered because of the weather. I hope it dries out a bit before Tuesday.
I stayed up & had a go - made £37 so happy with that

My ex-girlfriend & I drove from Melbourne to Cairns a few years back. I'd recommend it, Australia is an amazing country. However, we flew from Heathrow to Melbourne in July & we thought like you, the weather will be lovely when we touch down. Jeeeeezzzzz it was bloody freezing - Melbourne gets seriously hot in their summer, but pretty cold in the winter
blueport

Bad luck Zenyatta, the joys of punting.

After a few months of exceptional results Cup day was a big reality check for me.

I found trying to trade the favourite pre race in the Cup near impossible.
grigsy

blueport wrote:I found trying to trade the favourite pre race in the Cup near impossible.
Same here. Ended up in play with a big (for me) open lay order after there was just too much money in the market for me to get the match I wanted. Luckily I held my ground long enough for So You Think to get into a good enough position coming into the home straight. The back money piled and I was able to trade out for my biggest profit of the day. I almost held out for the win but had a feeling it wasn't going to happen so traded out and was very glad that I did.

Another great race though. The Melbourne Cup is surely the greatest flat race in the world these days. Always a massive quality field (no fewer than 11 Group 1 winners this year) and it always produces a truly worthy winner, though of course I never backed it.

Return to “Australian”