UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
firlandsfarm

I wonder if Sunak will be questioned on the lives he saved with furlough and other contributions?
sionascaig

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:12 pm
I wonder if Sunak will be questioned on the lives he saved with furlough and other contributions?
And by extension, lives lost through ongoing austerity to payback his vast spend (a large part of which seems to have been consumed by fraud and corruption)..

He really can't win can he !

Anyhow, his strategy so far seems to be - I just managed the economy, Johnson made all the decisions...
Derek27

Sunak reminds me of myself when I used to be quizzed by Jobcentre staff as to why I didn't turn up to an interview or apply for a job. However much evidence was stacked against me I'd somehow keep my cool and talk my way out of it. :D
Derek27

Sunak denies saying or hearing anyone in government say that hard working people would rather pay for their children's food than accept handouts, but when asked if he agrees it would be reprehensible if anyone did say that in a cost of living crisis, he avoided the question.
greenmark

sionascaig wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:21 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:12 pm
And by extension, lives lost through ongoing austerity to payback his vast spend (a large part of which seems to have been consumed by fraud and corruption)..

He really can't win can he !

Anyhow, his strategy so far seems to be - I just managed the economy, Johnson made all the decisions...
Indeed. The inquiry is becoming a bit like pass the parcel that no-one wants to end up in their lap.
But on Sunak - who would you prefer: Johnson, Truss, May, Cameron? Other PM's are available. :)
Archery1969

It would seem that the UK is not the only one struggling with migration.

French left and right unite to stop migration bill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67683314
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:47 pm
It would seem that the UK is not the only one struggling with migration.

French left and right unite to stop migration bill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67683314
....and the Netherlands Vote for Wilders’ anti-immigration/anti-EU PVV putting them in the box seat to form a coalition govt.
Right wingers may welcome this trend. I find it a bit worrying.
I can't shake off the notion that Hitler was far-right and elected democratically and then proceeded (rapidly) to construct the most evil regime we've ever seen.
Derek27

Yvette Cooper: If Rwanda will take a few hundred asylum seekers a year, we can clear the asylum backlog in just over a hundred years, plus another 10 years for each fortnight's worth of migrants claiming asylum. :)
Derek27

Even if Rwanda experiences a military coup, descends into chaos and the new regime decides to exterminate people migrating to Rwanda, our courts will be obliged to treat Rwanda as safe, should this bill gain royal accent. :mrgreen:
Derek27

Chris Bryant questions, what moral authority do we have to tell China not to abuse human rights when we have no respect for them ourselves. :lol:
Derek27

James Notsocleverly: This government respects laws, even when we disagree with them [, except the Human Rights Act]. :mrgreen:
greenmark

Seems to me now that the Tories have truly given up on the next GE and are engaged in a feudal dispute. Get rid of Sunak but who do the right suggest as a replacement?
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm
James Notsocleverly: This government respects laws, even when we disagree with them [, except the Human Rights Act]. :mrgreen:
I was reading your exchanges with G on the Rant Corner about Cats and Dogs.

I couldn't help but think that they are cared for and looked after more than Human Beings in this country.

And I would guess their is more support and charitable organisations in comparison.

I would imagine if you kick a cat or a dog down the high street you would be in serious trouble. But a Human Being you would probably get away with it.
Derek27

The Silk Run wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm
I was reading your exchanges with G on the Rant Corner about Cats and Dogs.

I couldn't help but think that they are cared for and looked after more than Human Beings in this country.

And I would guess their is more support and charitable organisations in comparison.

I would imagine if you kick a cat or a dog down the high street you would be in serious trouble. But a Human Being you would probably get away with it.
Yeah, the thing about animals and children is that they're totally innocent and wouldn't understand mistreatment. At least a grown man knows the world is a shithole. :)
The Silk Run

Yes Derek. You are correct Sir, and a wise man.

I think we should kidnap Larry the Cat. Put a suicide vest on him and send him back to No.10.

Shall we have a vote on this ....

Return to “Political betting & arguing”