Tablet

Downey92

Hi guys, I'm not very knowledgeable about technology. Can I use the vps on a tablet? And if so does it need to be on a Microsoft Windows tablet? I was thinking of trying to get a tablet for when I'm not trading at home. Thanks
Euler

You can access a VPS from pretty much any device, including a tablet.

If you have a specific one in mind, somebody will confirm for you.

I use a iPad as a secondary device for example.
Downey92

Thank you 😊 I was looking at this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9509155

Or I was looking at samsung tablets but there's that many of themπŸ˜‚
ShaunWhite

Downey92 wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:06 am
Thank you 😊 I was looking at this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9509155

Or I was looking at samsung tablets but there's that many of themπŸ˜‚
I bought a Surface for when I'm away and it was the most disappointing thing I've bought in years. They're just soooo slow. The screen resolution is ridiculous too with no predefined settings appropriate for the size of the screen. You need a magnifying glass to see anything.

I haven't got a better recommendation but imo the Surface is perfect for putting under the leg of a wobbly cafe table, that's about it.
Downey92

Cheers, thats Microsoft crossed off the listπŸ˜‚That's another thing I was concerned about was the screen size. I've been also looking at the Samsung s8 tablet
ShaunWhite

Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:59 am
Cheers, thats Microsoft crossed off the listπŸ˜‚That's another thing I was concerned about was the screen size. I've been also looking at the Samsung s8 tablet
It's tricky because you're essentially using it to view the virtual screen on your vps (a vps doesn't actually have a screen but acts as if it had). That means the tablet will always be a smaller image of that screen. You might need to set up some screen layouts on the vps that look oversized for them to be useable in a smaller display space.

Fortunately I only needed a tablet to check that everything is ticking over every few days. I certainly wouldn't want to sit and work on it. Paying an extra Β£100 for a rubbish clip on keyboard was a piss take as well.
Downey92

Am I right that you don't need the vps on the Microsoft surface Pro tablets?
ShaunWhite

Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:45 pm
Am I right that you don't need the vps on the Microsoft surface Pro tablets?
You'll need the software to view your vps (usually RDP on a Windows machine, aka Remote Desktop) . The vps itself is a computer running in a remote location.
Downey92

Cheers mate. Sorry I'm not very good with technology πŸ˜‚. Which one did you try was it the surface pro or the go versions
Euler

Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:11 pm
Cheers mate. Sorry I'm not very good with technology πŸ˜‚. Which one did you try was it the surface pro or the go versions
What operating system does it run? I think a full version of windows. In which case you don't need a VPS.
Downey92

Thanks Euler. I'm changing jobs shortly and when I stay over in evenings was wanting to try it on a tablet aslong as it's fast and clear enough
jamesedwards

Speaking for myself I would never get a tablet due to poor productivity. You'll likely end up wishing you'd bought a laptop.
ShaunWhite

jamesedwards wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:45 am
Speaking for myself I would never get a tablet due to poor productivity. You'll likely end up wishing you'd bought a laptop.
100%, by the time you've unpacked your keyboard & mouse (which you'll need if you have adult sized fingers), then found the right glasses, you might as well have opened a bigger, cheaper and probably higher spec laptop. Tablets are ok for a quick check on your auto where you might just want to click stop but actually working on one wouldn't be an option for me.
Downey92

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4161031 ... =plp:24:88
Would this laptop be enough then? I have no idea when it come to the spec it's like speaking Chinese to meπŸ˜‚
ShaunWhite

The two features that matter are the processor (main cpu chip) and amount of memory (ram). Most will have a ram size that's more than enough so it comes down to processor oomph. All will have an amount of storage (disk space) to store anything you'll need. FYI disk storage persists when you switch off, ram is the short term working memory space when it's on.

The spec of that is quite good, but maybe see if you can find something with an i5 processor rather than an i3. Comes down to usage though, BA should be fine on most things but if you have lots of linked spreadsheets and video streams then might need something meatier.

As usual a flagship model from a couple of years ago can be cheaper than a midrange one now because the depreciation on old stock is so bad they just want to shift them.

Return to β€œTechnology”