How reliable is BA's tennis data?

James

I've been playing about with some tennis automation and noticed on 3 occasions over the last two days that the server is wrong.

I've just managed to screenshot an example. The flashscore server is right - I was watching the game.

Is this common?
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

It's comes from the on court data provider so is as reliable as they send, which does mean they can from time to time get the severs the wrong way around. As it passes through Betfair the would need to correct it if they spot it's wrong, they do this for there website but often forget or don't do it for their API

If you are using Tennis Trader you can also do this yourself by ticking the 'Reverse Server in feed' box
But if you are using automation it won't know if its wrong so will need to correcting by the data provider or changing by Betfair
James

Ok, thanks. Are there any safeguards I can build in to stop my bot opening/closing at the wrong times?
Dallas

James wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:24 pm
Ok, thanks. Are there any safeguards I can build in to stop my bot opening/closing at the wrong times?
With regards to a wrong server?
jamesedwards

James wrote:
I'm guessing you could put something in place to spot anomalies in the number of serve breaks. Presumably if the server is the wrong way round then the number of broken serves reported would be extremely high.
James

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:26 pm
James wrote:
Yep
James

jamesedwards wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:27 pm
James wrote:
I'm guessing you could put something in place to spot anomalies in the number of serve breaks. Presumably if the server is the wrong way round then the number of broken serves reported would be extremely high.
Thanks James. It seems to get corrected after a few games but still alternates between players when its wrong so I'm not sure this would help.
Dallas

James wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:40 pm
Dallas wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:26 pm
James wrote:
Yep
Hardly anything little that will trap it automatically, you could possibly use some conditions like James has mentioned above but most will take a few games to spot something is wrong, then by the time it does flip them for you either the data provider or BF might correct it (putting your rules on the wring server again) meaning you need your conditions the server is the wrong way around again.

If you are at your PC and therefore spot the server is wrong you could create a Servant which you can start on a market that sets a shared Stored Value and your automation rules could then use that to reverse the servers.
That would be then easy to stop if the server is corrected at source
James

Thanks for the responses. The same issue occurred on the first game I looked at today.

Is it possible to develop a profitable tennis bot around service breaks or should I not bother? The errors seem to occur very frequently.
Dallas

James wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:57 am
Thanks for the responses. The same issue occurred on the first game I looked at today.

Is it possible to develop a profitable tennis bot around service breaks or should I not bother? The errors seem to occur very frequently.
Just about all my tennis bots enter/exit around a break of serve and many of my alerts do too

However I don't usually bother with the 250 tournaments or below so not sure how frequent they are on them, but on the 500's upwards its never really caused me any problems and over the long term it evens it's self out

Return to “Tennis Trading”