Betfair Trading Community Got Exposed

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:23 pm
To be truthful I do have sympathy for the kind of folk these parasites feed on, people act irrationally when desperate and there are a lot of desperate people who are in dire financial straits in Broken Britain.
Trying to find a shortcut to make money isn't desperation but greed.
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:57 pm
Emmson wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:23 pm
To be truthful I do have sympathy for the kind of folk these parasites feed on, people act irrationally when desperate and there are a lot of desperate people who are in dire financial straits in Broken Britain.
Trying to find a shortcut to make money isn't desperation but greed.
I disagree with that sweeping statement Derek, so there.
clomax8

What do we think of the 'gurubusters' channel? Top comment on the YT vid.

Just perused their offering so far, seems legit on the surface, but there are so many swizzlers about it's difficult to trust anyone as far as I can throw them :roll:

The only one I've seen so far showing a notorised doc of their BF lifetime profit though

Also, the channel responsible for this exposé seems to spaff out the same click-baity, "easy money" strategies as every other channel, but gurubusters doesn't appear to have given them any grief for that or their lack of notorised documents

Either the plot is thickening or I need a lie down
Kai

clomax8 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:55 pm
I think people are more interested in strategies that actually work

Exposing others for content does sound like amusing content but it's a Youtube strategy, not a trading one
Euler

Kai wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:14 pm
clomax8 wrote:
I think people are more interested in strategies that actually work

Exposing others for content does sound like amusing content but it's a Youtube strategy, not a trading one
That's a very intelligent and thoughtful comment.

Credit to that channel for posting a lifetime P&L, but there are problems with that. I can tell from that image that they can't be trading in the way they say as the statement indicates a certain strategy given the numbers.

As a general comment on the thread, unfortunately there is only a very small number of people who actually really do this and have a public profile. You have to automatically assume that most are out to profit from the interest in the market. But that's the same across many industries where people seek advice. Them that hills are full of gold, but you have to fight your way past all the map sellers first!

I'm always happy to give credit to those that are successful if they step forward. It's a long road.

I always feel that people should ask and get a public comment on how much somebody has made if they are offering advice. If only for the fact that if somebody goes on record and it's proven that they have lied, that then falls into fraud. In which case you can get your money back.

If you are helping people to trade, but not presenting yourself massively successful, I don't see a problem with that. Honesty is a vastly underrated asset. But of course it's much more enticing to present yourself as really successful to hook people in.

Now we are over 23 years into this opportunity, you should see loads of millionaires now.
LeTiss

This is a serious problem with Social Media.....many people claiming to be connected to the trading community are either liars or fraudsters. It's more profitable to sell false promises than it is to actually make money on the markets

I'm very much under the radar these days. I don't really connect with anyone anymore tbh
I'm very rarely even on this forum
I just keep my head down and do what I know works for me
Euler

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:37 pm
This is a serious problem with Social Media.....many people claiming to be connected to the trading community are either liars or fraudsters. It's more profitable to sell false promises than it is to actually make money on the markets

I'm very much under the radar these days. I don't really connect with anyone anymore tbh
Ultimately that's all you need to do really, isn't it?
napshnap

LeTiss wrote:

This forum is a candlelight in the darkness of snake oil sellers swarm.
to75ne

napshnap wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:57 pm
LeTiss wrote:

This forum is a candlelight in the darkness of snake oil sellers swarm.
they usually are sussed out pretty quick on here.
mikki23

This is also gold, comparable to the '£52 pro trader account'.
From the Gurubusters Video exposing Glen Kirkham. Him proudly presenting his 'Tiger' results, not realizing he actually exposes that the bets don't have value.
Strike Rate 77%, Betfair Odds 1.30 :D

Diggy1884

mikki23 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:23 am
Ever wondered what's behind BTC? lol, These guys are taking a piss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWaJkSf9puk

The highlight? The 'pro trader' accidentally revealing he has only £52 in his Betfair account.
I used to be part of the Betfair Trading Community. Since that experience (I could talk about it for hours) I've found it challenging to fully shake off my initial scepticism towards ‘trading experts’.

I have to admit I have made some negative comments on this forum (Bet Angel) due to the shadow of that forum still energised in memory.
My perspective has since changed due to personal experiences, and I now find my earlier negativity on this forum a bit embarrassing and ungrateful.
Dunning Kruger perhaps, you don’t know what you don’t know. Until you do.

Just glad to be here now!
Kai

Diggy1884 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:14 pm
I used to be part of the Betfair Trading Community. Since that experience (I could talk about it for hours) I've found it challenging to fully shake off my initial scepticism towards ‘trading experts’.

I have to admit I have made some negative comments on this forum (Bet Angel) due to the shadow of that forum still energised in memory.
My perspective has since changed due to personal experiences, and I now find my earlier negativity on this forum a bit embarrassing and ungrateful.
Dunning Kruger perhaps, you don’t know what you don’t know. Until you do.

Just glad to be here now!
Trading journeys in a nutshell :)

It really doesn't matter where one is coming from, or at least it shouldn't (!), since the point of origin can be completely random... so the only things that really matter are your direction and destination. Good for you if you manage to stumble upon a proverbial oasis of knowledge somewhere along the way, by all means try and quench that thirst for knowledge and compare notes with like-minded people etc.

But shouldn't assume that having a good point of origin is automatically better, it may arguably make that journey longer and harder, since less adversity to overcome can result in a weaker mindset that lacks the necessary problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

As a complete newbie I joined a community that was far worse than BTC and the mentors seemed far dodgier, as you already know it's near impossible to tell sharks from plankton as a newcomer. I joined a paid service with a friend and it didn't take long for us to realize that the whole thing was a sham, their results were not genuine and their trading concepts didn't hold up, we basically realized that the only real edge on display there was us (their customers).

As ironic as that sounds there was no despair or anything like that, we had a lot of fun learning mostly about things that DON'T work. Mentally we stayed very positive, there was more than enough enthusiasm to try and find something that does work and we started to trial and error some of our own ideas based more on technical analysis and less on random gambling, overall a very fun and exciting process. Within a few months the markets eventually started making enough sense to regularly pay premium charge and we had a solid foundation to build from.

Obviously, this was all before I made my first post here.

So maybe all one really needs is a good friend to bounce ideas off and to accelerate that trial and error loop, which afaik is a loop that should basically always result in a working strategy/edge if done properly. Sadly, most people run a different type of loop altogether.
Diggy1884

Kai wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:40 am

Trading journeys in a nutshell :)

It really doesn't matter where one is coming from, or at least it shouldn't (!), since the point of origin can be completely random... so the only things that really matter are your direction and destination. Good for you if you manage to stumble upon a proverbial oasis of knowledge somewhere along the way, by all means try and quench that thirst for knowledge and compare notes with like-minded people etc.

But shouldn't assume that having a good point of origin is automatically better, it may arguably make that journey longer and harder, since less adversity to overcome can result in a weaker mindset that lacks the necessary problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

As a complete newbie I joined a community that was far worse than BTC and the mentors seemed far dodgier, as you already know it's near impossible to tell sharks from plankton as a newcomer. I joined a paid service with a friend and it didn't take long for us to realize that the whole thing was a sham, their results were not genuine and their trading concepts didn't hold up, we basically realized that the only real edge on display there was us (their customers).

As ironic as that sounds there was no despair or anything like that, we had a lot of fun learning mostly about things that DON'T work. Mentally we stayed very positive, there was more than enough enthusiasm to try and find something that does work and we started to trial and error some of our own ideas based more on technical analysis and less on random gambling, overall a very fun and exciting process. Within a few months the markets eventually started making enough sense to regularly pay premium charge and we had a solid foundation to build from.

Obviously, this was all before I made my first post here.

So maybe all one really needs is a good friend to bounce ideas off and to accelerate that trial and error loop, which afaik is a loop that should basically always result in a working strategy/edge if done properly. Sadly, most people run a different type of loop altogether.
Interesting read! Both this and the oasis of knowledge ! Thank you for that.

I agree that adversity and wrong turns can yield valuable insights if you let them.

Working with a diligent friend on a project sounds like a blast to be fair. I have worked on many a project with friends/collaborators (not trading related) and it's paramount that you share the same objectives whilst establishing clear roles and deadlines or at least check in points whilst maintaining fun. This is challenging to achieve. If you found that cherish it! (im sure you do!)

I have a friend who is into the racing, but there is this big wall he erects each time the exchange is mentioned it is pretty weird lol
Kai

Diggy1884 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:25 pm
Interesting read! Both this and the oasis of knowledge ! Thank you for that.
Bit cringey for my taste but someone's gotta say these things out loud sometimes ;) True AF
MaxLiability

clomax8 wrote:

Just perused their offering so far, seems legit on the surface, but there are so many swizzlers about it's difficult to trust anyone as far as I can throw them :roll:

The only one I've seen so far showing a notorised doc of their BF lifetime profit though

Also, the channel responsible for this exposé seems to spaff out the same click-baity, "easy money" strategies as every other channel, but gurubusters doesn't appear to have given them any grief for that or their lack of notorised documents

Either the plot is thickening or I need a lie down
I wouldn't be too excited by a notarised document especially as it doesn't show who that notarised document is for. I could easily get my pnl notarised and loan it to someone who wished to present themselves as a winning trader.

I actually posted on the youtube video linking back to this thread and it was removed in minutes. It's very easy to present credible evidence when you're the one presenting the bits you wish to reveal. BTW there was nothing in my post on their video that was contentious just saying well done for posting a notarised doc and what were there views on this thread.

Return to “General discussion”