Betfair Locked my Account down Mid-Trade

A place to discuss anything.
xtrader16

Hello,

Has this happened to anybody else. I was trading the 14:35 yesterday when my account suddenly froze up. I tried to access it via the mobile app but that was the same. I had a £158 back bet (opening position of a trade) active on the 5.0 Fav. Time Bet Matched 14:29

By the time I have contacted Betfair via the chat room the 14:35 race had finished and predictably the Horse didn't win. It was my intention to trade it out, as usual, but the account being frozen prevented me from doing this.

Betfair advised me I had tried to log into my account too many times and they locked access (automatically) to the account at TIME:14:30. The thing is I WASNT TRYING TO LOG IN at any point during the previous 60 minutes before the 14:35. I was already logged in, why would I try to log in again. They closed my account down because somebody/something must have been trying to access my account. It is now with the Complaints Team who are investigating. I have told them I want my £158.05 back.

The thing is, if you have a larger amount of money say £1500 (not unusual) open on a trade and they decide to freeze your account you are going to be in the same position as I was/am. You are going to lose that money if they wont refund it after several arguments. It has never happened to me before. I have no idea why it happened now.

I've wanted to leave Betfair behind for a while as I cannot scale it up to where I want it to be (£300+ per day) and this has given that disconnect that I couldn't provide myself, now I have somebody external to blame. Just be aware that this can happen. The only reason somebody was unable to access my account was the 2 Step Authentication. Make sure it's active. I have changed my password, withdrawn all my funds until they resolve the complaint.

I cannot continue to use Betfair as I they cannot guarantee this won't happen again. The last thing I need is a £150 lay bet on a 10.0 horse that goes and wins ( you know it will) whilst my account is frozen through no fault of my own. You will understand when this happens to you.
Derek27

xtrader16 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:07 pm
Hello,

Has this happened to anybody else. I was trading the 14:35 yesterday when my account suddenly froze up. I tried to access it via the mobile app but that was the same. I had a £158 back bet (opening position of a trade) active on the 5.0 Fav. Time Bet Matched 14:29

By the time I have contacted Betfair via the chat room the 14:35 race had finished and predictably the Horse didn't win. It was my intention to trade it out, as usual, but the account being frozen prevented me from doing this.

Betfair advised me I had tried to log into my account too many times and they locked access (automatically) to the account at TIME:14:30. The thing is I WASNT TRYING TO LOG IN at any point during the previous 60 minutes before the 14:35. I was already logged in, why would I try to log in again. They closed my account down because somebody/something must have been trying to access my account. It is now with the Complaints Team who are investigating. I have told them I want my £158.05 back.

The thing is, if you have a larger amount of money say £1500 (not unusual) open on a trade and they decide to freeze your account you are going to be in the same position as I was/am. You are going to lose that money if they wont refund it after several arguments. It has never happened to me before. I have no idea why it happened now.

I've wanted to leave Betfair behind for a while as I cannot scale it up to where I want it to be (£300+ per day) and this has given that disconnect that I couldn't provide myself, now I have somebody external to blame. Just be aware that this can happen. The only reason somebody was unable to access my account was the 2 Step Authentication. Make sure it's active. I have changed my password, withdrawn all my funds until they resolve the complaint.

I cannot continue to use Betfair as I they cannot guarantee this won't happen again. The last thing I need is a £150 lay bet on a 10.0 horse that goes and wins ( you know it will) whilst my account is frozen through no fault of my own. You will understand when this happens to you.
When I joined Betfair over 15 years ago I quite stupidly used my name as part of my username. Never a problem until 2-3 years ago when somebody was having multiple attempts to hack into my account. Eventually I was given a new account and I used a password-style email address to prevent it happening again.

Did you have a complex username? I can't remember if I was locked out of my account, just couldn't get in but I can't understand why they would need to close sessions that are already live.
xtrader16

That's a good point about LIVE SESSIONS. It doesn't make sense to close the account only to prevent access to it. No, my username isn't my name or anything. Don't know what has happened. It's under investigation anyway. Luck I didn't have £1000+ in the trade.
weemac

Maybe BF have to assume that your current session could be the baddie whose software bombards them with login attempts, one of which appeared to be successful. They were actually protecting you.
Euler

If you have TFA on your account, then you should never get a failed login attempt.
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 pm
If you have TFA on your account, then you should never get a failed login attempt.
Bugger! That must have been my problem then. So TFA protects more than just your balance.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 pm
Maybe BF have to assume that your current session could be the baddie whose software bombards them with login attempts, one of which appeared to be successful. They were actually protecting you.
If a hacker sucessfully got into his account they wouldn't be making further attempts with the wrong password. If I understand xtrader16 correctly they never actually got into his account so it would make sense for Betfair to allow the live session and lock further logins.
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:07 pm
weemac wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 pm
If a hacker sucessfully got into his account they wouldn't be making further attempts with the wrong password. If I understand xtrader16 correctly they never actually got into his account so it would make sense for Betfair to allow the live session and lock further logins.
Y, I think the general approach isn't ideal. But it's a fairly standard security response.
xtrader16

Can we just clarify what TFA is? Is that Two-Step Authentication?

I might have resolved what has happened myself. I was logged into a 3rd party software I was using for graphs, apparently its a streaming service set up. Not sure if Bet Angel would qualify under this streaming service classification?

I swapped my internet service provider over from SKY to VIRGIN (as the new router has been installed yesterday) at around the same time/minute 14:28ish. The third party xxxx or Bet Angel ( I doubt it) has recognised the disconnected service and it has tried to reconnect under the new ISP, the software has noted a change, tried to re-log in several times, before Betfair has viewed it as bad actor and froze after 5 attempts. The Two step Authentication would have prevented the xxxx software from re-establishing the log in and Betfair shut it down all together.

The only reason this might not be true is, I use this software and BA everyday and the internet is know to drop out from time to time and both software apps continue as normal when the connection is automatically re-established. The only difference here is the ISP changed and maybe they couldn't reconnect as normal. This would also explain why Betfair confirmed the attempted failed log-ins where made from my IP address.

Betfair don't know any of this and I will await to hear the results of their investigation before telling them. I'm pretty... pretty... pretty... sure that is what has occurred.

I am going to recreate this scenario as SKY is still active get xxxxx up and running and see what happens after I make the switch. I will let you know how it pans out, if I can prevent this happening to anybody else I will.
weemac

My account was locked once when I had TFA enabled. It was caused by other software which was set to attempt to login at midnight. Of course it didn't have my TFA, so BF locked my account when it saw multiple attempts.
xtrader16

That might be the case but I replicated both software apps xxxx and BA separately and after the ISP switch both carried on as normal without locking my account so that can really be ruled out.

Leave it up to Betfair now. Won't be happy if the don't refund my £158 loss as the credibility of the Betfair system is now under investigation. They need to provide answers. This could have easily been £1000+ trade. They can't just lock down my account after a successful login in attempt 60 minutes ago. The account was up and running and in use for over 2 hours before they closed it.
xtrader16

Replicated, several times , ISP switch with BA and XXXX - Nothing happened so it wasnt that.
Euler

Betfair locked my account for updating address details. Not uncommon unfortunately.
jamesedwards

xtrader16 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:14 pm
Replicated, several times , ISP switch with BA and XXXX - Nothing happened so it wasnt that.
You can view successful and unsuccessful log-in attempts under my betfair account > account details > security settings
xtrader16

Right, I know you probably dont really care because this didnt happen to you but I have logged into BA, then incorrectly (on purpose) entered my password 5-6 times into the website. After 4 attemps it closed my account but at NO POINT was my feed on BA interrupted or stopped all together. I was asked to enter my D.O.B and sent a 4 digit passcode to my mobile to reactivate. Only when my password was changed did the feed to BA stop.

What this proves is that even if somebody/something tried to access my account it does not stop the active market whilst I am correctly logged in. Like it did before resulting in a £158 loss. Imagine I was trading the West Ham Chelsea game and had £2000k sitting matched looking to offset (prematch) and a goal goes in in the 1st minute or on a Horse at the 2 minute marker.

This will happen to you next. They will lock your account for no reason and say 'sorry for the inconvienience' - not really good enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”