Protecting a BAF file

Help improve Bet Angel.
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:07 am
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:08 pm
This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked"
A VPS is no more hackable than your home pc. I'd say less hackable in my case because to get to my vps they've first got to get through the AWS firewall.
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The effectiveness of strategies varies as variations emerge. Strategies die and are occassionally reborn over the course of months and years.That's a very well known fact so I'm not sure where your assertion comes from. How many years have you been full-time?
https://www.websitebuilderinsider.com/c ... be-hacked/

Are you saying the BA VPS server cannot be hacked ?
Last edited by Bobajob on Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
sionascaig

Maybe the security problem doesn't really exist, or is so small a risk it can be managed.

- Has anyone with long term profitable bots ever reported an issue?
- Would a hacker not be more interested in emptying your account rather than messing about with bots?

If you do have a profitable strategy why not focus on maximising market share? If you can't do this yourself then can start up a syndicate and your friends can provide capital.

Creating encrypted files, changing BA etc etc just so you can control distribution sounds more like an ego trip even if well intentioned. And a gteed way to fall out with your pals down the line when variance kicks in or those that dont get on the list start asking why...
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:07 am
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:08 pm
This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked"
A VPS is no more hackable than your home pc. I'd say less hackable in my case because to get to my vps they've first got to get through the AWS firewall.
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The effectiveness of strategies varies as variations emerge. Strategies die and are occassionally reborn over the course of months and years.That's a very well known fact so I'm not sure where your assertion comes from. How many years have you been full-time?
"The effectiveness of strategies varies as variations emerge. Strategies die and are occassionally reborn over the course of months and years.That's a very well known fact so I'm not sure where your assertion comes from. How many years have you been full-time?"

I don't dispute that – but you are not understanding what I said,
What I said was "So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated"
In order to make money in the long term, you need to bet on something that has what is called a positive “expectation” - that's what I mean about a "profitable strategy"
Dallas

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:51 pm

I suspect there would be a lot of demand for this as it also offers opportunities for people who have developed working strategies to monetise their IP.
TBH I suspect its the opposite, if someone has a profitable strategy they should already be (or trying to increase to) using the biggest stakes it can handle to remain +EV.

If I was to help a family member or friend out I wouldn't give them a file and as an example reduce mine stake to 70% stake and run there's with a 30% stake etc - i'd just give them 30% of the profit from mine.

Also you need to be careful it doesn't look like you are trying to avoid or reduce any PC on an account, if BF suspect that all accounts using the file will be closed and funds may even be withheld
sibur

Thank you for your thoughts Dallas.
Derek27

sibur wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:11 am
Thank you for your thoughts Dallas.
Don't bother thanking the rest of us, we all said more or less the same thing. ;)
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:38 am
In order to make money in the long term, you need to bet on something that has what is called a positive “expectation” - that's what I mean about a "profitable strategy"
That's what everyone means by a profitable strategy.
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:28 am
Errr no. I'm saying its no more risky than your home pc, whereas you said you wouldn't trust it.

If you're saying the BA VPS has risks other VPSs don't, without any proof, then expect a letter from the BA legal team for libel. :D
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:23 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:28 am
Errr no. I'm saying its no more risky than your home pc, whereas you said you wouldn't trust it.

If you're saying the BA VPS has risks other VPSs don't, without any proof, then expect a letter from the BA legal team for libel. :D
This is what I said in case you have any doubt:

"This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked"" :)
Last edited by Bobajob on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:06 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Glad we're singing off the same hymn sheet :)
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:23 pm
If the BA legal team was that trigger happy they'd have hundreds of lawsuits by now. ;)
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:32 pm

"This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked""
A VPS is standard kit, especially for all of us who automate 247365, and a large number of Australian traders wanting to be closer to betfair HQ or bet in running. . You don't have to be concerned about it unless you think they're all wrong to use one. .
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:36 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:06 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Glad we're singing off the same hymn sheet :)
:D We're very much not singing from the same hymn sheet.
Bobajob

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:50 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:32 pm

"This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked""
A VPS is standard kit, especially for all of us who automate 247365, and a large number of Australian traders wanting to be closer to betfair HQ or bet in running. . You don't have to be concerned about it unless you think they're all wrong to use one. .
Are you saying the BA VPS cannot be hacked
Or 'Yes' it can be 'hacked' but don't worry about it ?
sibur

Best thing to do against being hacked is to protect your Betfair account with Multi-Factor Authentication.

A VPS is as susceptible to being hacked as any other device.

I have an independent one which I can configure only to be accessible via remote desktop from certain IP addresses but I imagine a BA VPS is exactly the same.

Having a VPS means you have always on internet access and the ability to access BA from your mobile which is super convenient.

Btw, thanks for everyone's comments on this topic!

Return to “Suggestions”