Protecting a BAF file

Help improve Bet Angel.
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:57 am
I've had a lot of brushes with death, computer wise, the last of which is well documented on the rant corner. But somehow, I always managed to pull myself out of the shit. Better not push my luck. :)
My worst one, in my early days of desktop support, was being called out to a users laptop, dropping into a command prompt (old DOS 6.21 days), CD'ing into the temp folder , not hitting return as I was chatting and watching del *.* /y wipe the contents of their C: drive.
Then the colour drained from my face :oops:
Michael5482

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:02 am
Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:52 pm
Does anyone know if there's anyway you can add 2 step authentication to a VPS login and/or have something where only one log in at anyone time so if your logged in it's impossible for another person to log in.

I'll probably have a look next week but they would seem like logical security steps (to me anyway).
It depends on the operating system you choose to run on your VPS. I run Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition.

The Pros:
It's oriented towards business so it's bristling with security options incl the sort of thing you mention. It's fast because it isn't full of 'user experience' bs, and you can also choose if/when you want Windows updates so that you aren't forced into that operational risk. It's the right tool for the job imo. I've never even had a sniff of an attack and it's been running 247365 for years.

The Cons:
With my provider you can choose Linux or one of 3 flavours of Windows Server for your server, regular Windows isn't an option. So it probably wouldn't be the choice for someone without experience although info isn't hard to find. When you fire up a server instance you're faced with just a clean OS install unless you create it from an image, so you have to do all the security and setup yourself.

Anyone wanting a straight forward click and go solution should definately go with the BA VPS. As Peter explained above he'll go to great lengths to make sure it's as secure as he can make it, and then lock the door behind him when it's done. My choice was more to do with the software I use not any misgivings about the BA server, so don't take any of the above as being negative about it. It's just horses for courses.
Thanks Shaun always value the input. Security is on my list (a long one that appears to grow weekly) so will explore in more detail when I start to transition over to AWS in the coming weeks.
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:11 am
Derek27 wrote:
I've had a lot of brushes with death, computer wise, the last of which is well documented on the rant corner. But somehow, I always managed to pull myself out of the shit. Better not push my luck. :)
My worst one, in my early days of desktop support, was being called out to a users laptop, dropping into a command prompt (old DOS 6.21 days), CD'ing into the temp folder , not hitting return as I was chatting and watching del *.* /y wipe the contents of their C: drive.
I once typed del *.* without realising I was in the windows\system32 directory. :lol:
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:27 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:11 am
Derek27 wrote:
I once typed del *.* without realising I was in the windows\system32 directory. :lol:
Kids these days don't know they are born, with a Recycle Bin ;)

Return to “Suggestions”