Betfair Exchange voiding bets

A place to discuss anything.
trader9

Hi,

Long time lurker, first post.

I had over £5,000 of bets voided on the exchange yesterday. I was admittedly using a faster stream than most people however this is the exchange we are talking about. I've had thousands hoovered up by people using the same strategy over the last few years. As you all know, the vast majority of events either have people at the event betting or using fast streams - that being their edge.

What's made it worse is that they voided the winning back bets, however then left me with the lay bets (which lost) which left me even more out of pocket.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Chances of getting it overturned?
Euler

Which sport and market and were they any odd circumstances around it?
trader9

Football and the O/U market.
I'm guessing they should have suspended the market quicker after goals. There was a normal inplay delay in place.
sionascaig

There was certainly some strange stuff going on with Villa game yesterday... The 1st to Score market remained open well after the 1st goal went in but they managed to suspend the To Score market (correctly).. Some chat in footy thread about it.
trader9

It was a European game but will take a look at that thread. Thanks
sniffer66

Wasn't Viking v Tromso by any chance was it ?
jamesedwards

trader9 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:01 pm
Hi,

Long time lurker, first post.

I had over £5,000 of bets voided on the exchange yesterday. I was admittedly using a faster stream than most people however this is the exchange we are talking about. I've had thousands hoovered up by people using the same strategy over the last few years. As you all know, the vast majority of events either have people at the event betting or using fast streams - that being their edge.

What's made it worse is that they voided the winning back bets, however then left me with the lay bets (which lost) which left me even more out of pocket.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Chances of getting it overturned?
Usually in this scenario it is because Betfair failed to suspend a market quickly enough after a goal/penalty/red card was awarded or VAR'd. They will usually go back to the exact time of the goal and retrospectively void any bets made between that goal and their late suspension. It's a real bummer for anyone who trades out later as they can be left with an unexpected liability. You can try their live chat who should be able to confirm if this was the case with your missing bets. I imagine you have zero chance of any refund, although you might get a £10 free bet. Real bad luck. :(

Return to “General discussion”