Windows Updates!

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Windows 11 23H2 is available. It's optional on my system but if you've got the automatically download and install option selected, watch out. Make sure it doesn't install while you're trading.
Emmson

It seems to have gone through smoothly for me, it's been years since my laptop shutdown without warning for updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:43 am
Windows 11 23H2 is available.
Not anymore it ain't! I was gonna upgrade since there's bugger all to trade tonight but they've changed their minds and it's now coming soon - typical Moronsoft!
Kai

I've declined the Win 11 upgrade on my newly built desktop, for now at least. Seen too many complaints about it being more intrusive, slower, buggier than Win 10.
ilovepizza82

Derek27 wrote:
Windows 11 23H2 is available. It's optional on my system but if you've got the automatically download and install option selected, watch out. Make sure it doesn't install while you're trading.
Whats wrong about it ?
Derek27

ilovepizza82 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:23 am
Derek27 wrote:
Whats wrong about it ?
Windows cumulative updates can sometimes take hours, keep pestering you to reboot, and some people say or used to say it rebooted without permission. You can use your computer while its updating, although it may run slow if you're doing more than browsing, but when it reboots it's unusable until it's finished. You certainly don't want to update while you're trading.
weemac

I always delay updates as long as possible, often until I get a message saying it'll happen one hour from now whether I want it or not, and will switch my PC off while I'm using it.
Derek27

I had a rant about a registry hack that displays the seconds on the system clock being scrapped with Windows 11, but they've reintroduced it in the last cumulative update, in the taskbar settings. Perhaps Microsoft read the rant thread. :D

What use is knowing the time's 16:59 without the seconds?

Screenshot 2023-11-16 170851.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:53 am
I've declined the Win 11 upgrade on my newly built desktop, for now at least. Seen too many complaints about it being more intrusive, slower, buggier than Win 10.
I had to get a new laptop a few months ago. Me thinks ... get one with win 11, no point in having old tech if going for faster CPU! What a mistake ... it's slower than my old Win 10, it randomly crashes a Chrome window while leaving the others happily running, some of the Win 10 facilities have gone walkabout, I have to be careful it doesn't try to save everything to the cloud (I can't get fibre here, just copper wire). I understand I can install Win 10 and will be doing so soon.
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:00 pm
Kai wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:53 am
I had to get a new laptop a few months ago. Me thinks ... get one with win 11, no point in having old tech if going for faster CPU! What a mistake ... it's slower than my old Win 10, it randomly crashes a Chrome window while leaving the others happily running, some of the Win 10 facilities have gone walkabout, I have to be careful it doesn't try to save everything to the cloud (I can't get fibre here, just copper wire). I understand I can install Win 10 and will be doing so soon.
Yeah, I've come across plenty of negative feedback.

Latest and greatest isn't always the play with hardware either, the industry can be extremely misleading. Earlier this year I've built my own trading/gaming desktop for the first time to put in all the fastest components (about £5K total not counting peripherals), and there's already a "new faster" CPU and SSD out! Same number of cores and threads with barely 2% difference, all they do is pump up the power consumption to stupid levels just to beat the competition at charts and then call it "fastest".
jamesedwards

This month's Windows 10 update is now available as an optional download.
123papa

I usually wait as long as possible to install updates, frequently until I receive a notification stating that the update will occur in an hour regardless of my wishes, at which point I turn off my computer while I'm using it.
firlandsfarm

weemac wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:52 pm
I always delay updates as long as possible, often until I get a message saying it'll happen one hour from now whether I want it or not, and will switch my PC off while I'm using it.
123papa wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:23 am
I usually wait as long as possible to install updates, frequently until I receive a notification stating that the update will occur in an hour regardless of my wishes, at which point I turn off my computer while I'm using it.
you two related?! :lol:
jamesedwards

Updates time. Take control of your updates before they take control of you! :lol:
Derek27

A couple of questions. On Windows 10, is it my fiddling that makes this update optional or is it optional for everyone, and what the hell is an update preview?

I've always avoided them because I suspect it's some sort of beta and they want to use you as a guinea pig before rolling it out. There's one on my Windows 11 device as well.

Capture.PNG

Return to “General discussion”