Betfair Minimum Bet. Definitive answer please.

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
wje200

Whilst Betfair state that their minimum bet size is £1, it is quite possible to use a lower stake using Bet Angel software.

The question is. If I do this am I going to get a knuckle wrapping email from Betfair if I place low stakes on a regular basis. (for purposes of live testing).

About 15 or more years ago, when the minimum was £2, I found a way of doing just that on the BF exchange. A few days later I got an email from them telling me that I was breaking the rules and would be blocked if I were to continue. Naturally I did stop but now I find lots of people saying they are using stakes of sub £1.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Derek27

wje200 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Whilst Betfair state that their minimum bet size is £1, it is quite possible to use a lower stake using Bet Angel software.

The question is. If I do this am I going to get a knuckle wrapping email from Betfair if I place low stakes on a regular basis. (for purposes of live testing).

About 15 or more years ago, when the minimum was £2, I found a way of doing just that on the BF exchange. A few days later I got an email from them telling me that I was breaking the rules and would be blocked if I were to continue. Naturally I did stop but now I find lots of people saying they are using stakes of sub £1.

The last time I looked, according to their T&C, they can close your account for sub-minimum bets, but I reckon you would have to submit 100s or 1000s of them. Sub-minimum bets are essential when greening up a small profit and sometimes 50 pence of a bet may get matched, so it's not the users fault if he has to close trade for less than £1.

I avoid closing trades for less than £1 unless it's my last close and I've written my automation to do the same, but I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you're bombarding the exchange with sub £1 bets.
Dallas

All you are doing is submitting a minimum bet then cancelling some of it and repricing the rest.

I've never heard of any user getting a warning for it, only for using practice mode excessively
StellaBot

ZERO

DONT BET
jamesedwards

There are practises involving sub-minimum bets that might get you in trouble. eg penny pinching or rounding abuse. You haven't been stealing 2p's from Derek on the football have you? :lol:

Otherwise I'd imagine you'd need to be making thousands of transactions to even alert BF to your behaviour.
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:08 pm
All you are doing is submitting a minimum bet then cancelling some of it and repricing the rest.

I've never heard of any user getting a warning for it, only for using practice mode excessively
It's difficult to know what Betfair would do in scenarios that don't often occur, but I'm guessing if you constantly place sub £1 bets they will get annoyed. Although you're placing an initial £1, it doesn't get matched, so they might see your average sized matched bet is 60 pence. :)
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:11 pm
There are practises involving sub-minimum bets that might get you in trouble. eg penny pinching or rounding abuse. You haven't been stealing 2p's from Derek on the football have you? :lol:

Otherwise I'd imagine you'd need to be making thousands of transactions to even alert BF to your behaviour.
It does feel as though it's one person doing it, but I reckon since Betfair changed their algorithm, the penny shavers have just stepped up to tuppence.
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:28 pm
Dallas wrote:

It's difficult to know what Betfair would do in scenarios that don't often occur, but I'm guessing if you constantly place sub £1 bets they will get annoyed. Although you're placing an initial £1, it doesn't get matched, so they might see your average sized matched bet is 60 pence. :)
As far as I'm aware its only when purposely trying to take advantage of something, ie, shaving or rounding etc, although they closed a long exsising loop hole with how bets were rounded a few years ago, at which time extra logging was added to BA so you'll get a very specfic message if your bet was rejected due to this

If you are getting loads of those errors then intentional or not BF will be contacting you sooner or later, but otherwise if a greening bet requires a sub min stake (which they often do for those trading with smaller stakes) even if done with automation many times a day they are happy to let it slide providing its just that
jamesedwards

wje200 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm

Just seen you specifically say "for purposes of live testing".

If you are trading in-play then stakes below £1 will not necessarily behave the same way as stakes above £1. This is because it takes Bet Angel twice as long to achieve the desired position in the market because it has to make two separate trades. eg a £1 trade on a horse race in-running will take 1 sec to hit the market, but a 90p trade will take 2 secs.

I always trade at the official £1 minimum when live testing for this reason.
wje200

A sincere thank you for all your answers.
I half expected someone one here to say they had fallen foul of the Betfair rules, but that seems not to be the case. Maybe a lot has changed in the last 15+ years since my last strike.
So! I'm going to give it a try for maybe a week with 20p stakes. If it works then I'll be shifting to over £1 bets. They are all pre-race so I shouldn't come up against the in-play delay. (But that info is good to know.)
If Betfair do email mail me this will technically by my second strike. I don't know how long their memory is nor what they will do about it. But I will report back to this thread if there are consequences.

Just as an aside. I am well aware that trading in practice mode is not the same as live mode. But I really do have to complement whoever wrote the software for practice mode, some real thought has gone into making it as realistic as it can be. It is clear that the fake money bets join the queue of real money and that partial bets are taken just like the real thing. Whoever you are, well done.
Last edited by wje200 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeTiss

Dallas wrote:

Does that still happen?

A few years back I heard numerous tales of users getting their backsides tanned for using practice mode, but I've not heard that for a while
sionascaig

I would be surprised if BF take any action. I usually test automation on v small stakes (less than min) and have 30 odd thousand of transactions (on one bot) over last few months but no BF issues.

One thing to watch out for (if you are using v low sakes) though is that the commission will be rounded up in BF's favour... And so, what should be say 6.5% on Aus horses can become over 10% due to rounding ==> which is enough to make a potentially profitable strategy seem unprofitable...
The Silk Run

I have been using minimal stakes for almost five years without any conversations with Betfair, and never heard of anybody else experiencing any problems, sanctions, etc.

Minimum 0.05p - Maximum 0.10p outside BSP.

As well as many other people using this MO, Developers frequently use this to test their systems.
Derek27

wje200 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:26 am
If Betfair do email mail me this will technically by my second strike. I don't know how long their memory is nor what they will do about it. But I will report back to this thread if there are consequences.
I suspect Betfair have a very long memory, there's no reason to delete data about their customers, they probably archive it.

What exactly happened in your first strike? Was it just a warning email or did they suspend your account?
wje200

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:28 pm
wje200 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:26 am
I suspect Betfair have a very long memory, there's no reason to delete data about their customers, they probably archive it.

What exactly happened in your first strike? Was it just a warning email or did they suspend your account?
No it was more an "Oi! Pack it in!" which I did immediately, no suspension. Mid 2000s I think, betting on dogs. Which is why I was so surprised, returning to it all these years later, when people say they do it routinely with no problems. It is the same account. (they don't read this forum do they? :oops: )

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”