How to create a model??

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Brovashift

Hi all,

I think I may have asked this before because I seem to remember watching a few "how to create a sports betting model" YouTube video's, and pressing some buttons in Excel a while ago, but thats about as far as I got.

For a while now I've settling into In-Play trading (horse racing) as it just seems to work for me, trading the fundamentals of a race as opposed to trying to second guess what everyone else is thinking in the run up to post time. I dont know if anyone else agrees but the state of the racing delays recently, both schedule and live feeds has been absolutely Shit! with a capitol 'S'.

So I wanted to have another go at creating a model, I think it may help me expand my development while keeping me focus on racing markets. I just want to learn how to build a model, no real preference, but I was thing a Dobbing model as this seemed the most straight forward.

So help me out here; I am thinking first of all I need relevant data i.e. horses (preferably alive lol), the horse(s) BSP, inPlay Hi/Low prices, course, distance, going, class, etc. Filter and separate races where 'selected horse' prices dobbed, vs races where 'selected horse' prices didn't dob, and compare 'selected horse' market rivals in those races to identify the most favourable conditions where a dob is most likey to occure.

This is where I come unstuck, because if I filter said data to show me these favourable race conditions... then what? What would I build a model for, to tell me what? The probability of the 'selected horse' actually dobbing, or the best prices to dob at?? You can see this is where my knowledge falls down a black hole.

How can I get started building a model, and if anyone has a working example they can share i'd be muchos gracias :D

TIA
LinusP

When you model something you are looking to quantify what is normal under specific conditions. In my opinion the variables you have mentioned are a bit too abstract / not really going to tell you anything, at the end of the day we are after value and we want lots of it.

If we keep things simple you could look at how much a price should move from its starting price as a function of time remaining (or metres if you have TPD) By modelling this you would then be able to put a number on the min/max price a runner should be trading at a specific distance / time etc. The hard part comes down to having this data available and in a format that makes it possible.

To put some context on the idea of value inplay, if you simply lay the lowest priced runner every second you won’t actually lose that much money (assuming you are getting the mid price / reasonable bet sizes) You then need to swing things into value, for example by using our inplay/sp model described above to remove the negative EV bets.

We are currently ignoring how this EV relates to matching and things start to get very tricky and counter intuitive but I have probably said enough.

Had to look up what ‘dobbing’ is, just seems like another wishy washy idea that ignores how you actually make money in this game, value. You describe it as simple but to be profitable you would be placing a value bet before the race and ideally during which is level 11.
StellaBot

The last model I created
I think she was inflated
Bobajob

You could model the LTP of the the selection in position 2 ( in order of favouritism ) when it is less than 2 and less than the BP/LTP of the selection in position 1 ( in order of favouritism ). A lot of them go on to win.
Brovashift

LinusP wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:23 pm
When you model something you are looking to quantify what is normal under specific conditions. In my opinion the variables you have mentioned are a bit too abstract / not really going to tell you anything, at the end of the day we are after value and we want lots of it.

If we keep things simple you could look at how much a price should move from its starting price as a function of time remaining (or metres if you have TPD) By modelling this you would then be able to put a number on the min/max price a runner should be trading at a specific distance / time etc. The hard part comes down to having this data available and in a format that makes it possible.

To put some context on the idea of value inplay, if you simply lay the lowest priced runner every second you won’t actually lose that much money (assuming you are getting the mid price / reasonable bet sizes) You then need to swing things into value, for example by using our inplay/sp model described above to remove the negative EV bets.

We are currently ignoring how this EV relates to matching and things start to get very tricky and counter intuitive but I have probably said enough.

Had to look up what ‘dobbing’ is, just seems like another wishy washy idea that ignores how you actually make money in this game, value. You describe it as simple but to be profitable you would be placing a value bet before the race and ideally during which is level 11.
:geek: So many questions! :lol:

I was up till 2am this morning trying to disseminate (if thats the right word) your reply with ChatGPT, and gave a detailed reply in my head, but of course cannot remember that now lol. I'll try and give this a go...

Seaching online last night for anything relevant to dobbing and creating statistical models I came across this YouTube video fom Racing Bet Data https://youtu.be/xwzaOPLrY3I?si=NoVCLaAKFs8QDYi9 which basically gives me the result of my 'abstract' variables in my initial post. Great, job done, we can all go home! :D

However, this doesn't help me to understand how and why to model data. My reasons for this post were actually two fold. One being due to the poor quality of racing recently and wanting to expand my 'toolbox', but also because I have been looking at Associate Trader jobs with gaming companies and researching each job role requirement individually, one of which is to create models, and I wanted to at least have some basic idea of how its done, so if I was to apply for one of these roles they are not met with a blank stare as my brain crashes lol. So what better way to learn than to build one myself.

Unfortunately ChatGPT gave me equally complicated answers which didn't help, but like a moth to a flame, now I have a desire to NEED to know. Looking at sports models for beginners I came across another YouTube video where he was using NFL data to work out the probabilities of the outsider/underdog teams beating the favs and winning the match. Thinking along those same lines, I was going to say something similar i.e. probabilites of 'selected horse' shortening in running under specific race conditions, but as I re-read your first line re quantifying normality under specific conditions I can actually see how abstract my suggestion was. :!: :?:

I am going to have to think about this because in order for a selctions price to shorten in running people need to back it, whether thats because its value, which itself requires many variables to identify value, or because the race is unfolding in a favourable way for the 'selected horse', something which I dont think can be quantified prior to it happening live in a race, there's literally millions of possibilities of how a race can unfold.

In your TPD example, is it even possible to say a selection trades between IPMAX/IPMIN e.g. 70% of the time, to give you a window of opportunity, without knowing what race conditions make up that 70%? Do in play races really repeat themselves enough to provide repeatable price patterns when one fav can be a completely different beast to the next. Not to mentions riders!
At present, even though I do add exceptional horses to my tracker, I admittedly do not look at how those horses price move during a race. Im either keeping them onside as potential B2L's or looking for signs of struggling for L2B's. To me every race is unique at the start, because even if a horse has been a successful back or lay last time, I've found quite often it can be the complete opposite next time out, as the trainers try and position them for a win.

I will try and simplify what I am asking so that it is easier to quantify and come back...

Just to clarify and see if I have understood your example correctly
If we keep things simple you could look at how much a price should move from its starting price as a function of time remaining (or metres if you have TPD) By modelling this you would then be able to put a number on the min/max price a runner should be trading at a specific distance / time etc.
Is this you "quantifing something normal under specific conditions", as a base to work from there?

TIA
Last edited by Brovashift on Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brovashift

StellaBot wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:44 pm
The last model I created
I think she was inflated
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Euler

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:41 pm
Seaching online last night for anything relevant to dobbing and creating statistical models I came across this YouTube video fom Racing Bet Data https://youtu.be/xwzaOPLrY3I?si=NoVCLaAKFs8QDYi9 which basically gives me the result of my 'abstract' variables in my initial post. Great, job done, we can all go home! :D
This is a very flawed approach as a future race result is independent from a prior as each race is different.

For example a horse needs to run a few times before it is given a handicap mark. Horse could be running over different distances and courses and so on.
sionascaig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjrMbk ... ackAndrews

MegaRain posted this link some time ago... Its a great place to start if you want to build models..
Euler

But you could start somewhere really simple, such as what was the recent form, how does that affect the likelihood of winning the next race.
Euler

sionascaig wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:13 pm

MegaRain posted this link some time ago... Its a great place to start if you want to build models..
Y, Andrew Mack does it properly.
Anbell

sionascaig wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:13 pm

I was just about to post this!
LinusP

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:41 pm

I will try and simplify what I am asking so that it is easier to quantify and come back...

Just to clarify and see if I have understood your example correctly
If we keep things simple you could look at how much a price should move from its starting price as a function of time remaining (or metres if you have TPD) By modelling this you would then be able to put a number on the min/max price a runner should be trading at a specific distance / time etc.
Is this you "quantifing something normal under specific conditions", as a base to work from there?

TIA
I am glad it’s got you thinking, tbh sometimes that is all you need.

The answer is yes to all your questions, things repeat themselves in every market every day, the reality is it’s the same manual/drones/courtsiders/automated betters playing the game not many of us care about horse/jockey.

A main stream example of a model is the use of XG in football, although relatively simple it gives a much better idea of how a team is performing in a match compared to just the current score. This has the benefit of being useful inplay and after to give a more accurate price and thus find EV. Syndicates have hundreds of people to analyse each game, frame by frame, the use of live tracking is also changing things, this is all to improve their models and find value. The use of ML and AI have moved this to being more automated, with pysport / opencv you can do some cool stuff.

https://pysport.org/page/5/
Euler

That's interesting, but a bit OTT for the OP, I think he is working at a more basic level.
Anbell

Euler wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:17 am
That's interesting, but a bit OTT for the OP, I think he is working at a more basic level.
It is also interesting for the rest of us!
napshnap

Hmm... "mmmodel"...

Collect shtload... like... centuries!! of "relevant" ta fa data, define dependent variable (the one that your "magic formula" will calc) and check multiple independent variables against it by using multiple linear (or nonlinear) regression or by using machine learning (which is embellished nonlinear regression, actually) that will give you the "magic formula/equation"/model that you then check on shtload of test data sets to "prove" its magicalness and then, with fanfare, you launch this ship (with "reasonable" stakesize, ofc) only to find out that your beautiful Taj Mahal was built on a quicksand, that the universe zoomed out revealing that it was just a microscopic part of some laughing gods randomwalk...
Last edited by napshnap on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”