Running Betangel on cloud or virtual machine

yagsiris

Longtime user, first time poster.

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to run my betangel somewhere other than my own PC. The wife is nagging me to turn off the PC more as it's currently on 24/7.

Has anyone found a viable alternative to running at home? Hoping to save a few pennies in electricity whilst I'm at it.

I have a Pro subscription and currently run auto 24/7 on 2.5 goal markets and also edge taking on asian handicap markets on about a dozen leagues.

My computer nerd friend recommends Azure but I've priced it up provisionally and it doesn't seem to be much cheaper.

Any and all replies welcome

Thanks

(apologies if this is in the wrong section)
Dallas

Most use a VPS when there need to run Bet Angel 24/7
https://www.betangel.com/vps/
Anbell

yagsiris wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:34 pm
Longtime user, first time poster.

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to run my betangel somewhere other than my own PC. The wife is nagging me to turn off the PC more as it's currently on 24/7.

Has anyone found a viable alternative to running at home? Hoping to save a few pennies in electricity whilst I'm at it.

I have a Pro subscription and currently run auto 24/7 on 2.5 goal markets and also edge taking on asian handicap markets on about a dozen leagues.

My computer nerd friend recommends Azure but I've priced it up provisionally and it doesn't seem to be much cheaper.

Any and all replies welcome

Thanks

(apologies if this is in the wrong section)
You can usually knock 50% off the headline rate at Azure by using SPOT pricing
Euler

How does spot pricing work? I would have thought you would need the VPS to be active all the time?
firlandsfarm

I'm also thinking of switching to a VPS base so a couple of questions about the BA offering if I may ...

Are they managed or do users have to do their own maintenance?

Are they intended solely for BA set-ups or can I install other server software such as MS SQL (Express) servers and other software both betting and non-betting related such as Meta Trader 4? In other words is a BA VPS comparable to other VPS services in the market?
Anbell

Euler wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:17 am
How does spot pricing work? I would have thought you would need the VPS to be active all the time?
There is a risk that you might get kicked off at some point. You can mitigate the risk by choosing the region etc
yagsiris

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the Betangel VPS a go for a couple of months and see how it goes!
Euler

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:16 pm
I'm also thinking of switching to a VPS base so a couple of questions about the BA offering if I may ...

Are they intended solely for BA set-ups or can I install other server software such as MS SQL (Express) servers and other software both betting and non-betting related such as Meta Trader 4? In other words is a BA VPS comparable to other VPS services in the market?
We set up everything so you are ready to go.

You can install any software on there but be aware the more software you run, the more powerful VPS you will need.

"BA VPS comparable to other VPS services in the market?"

Yes, we rent equipment in the same datacentre as other providers. I used to work for an ISP years ago, so I have a direct relationship with the DC.
firlandsfarm

Euler wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:33 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:16 pm

We set up everything so you are ready to go.

You can install any software on there but be aware the more software you run, the more powerful VPS you will need.

"BA VPS comparable to other VPS services in the market?"

Yes, we rent equipment in the same datacentre as other providers. I used to work for an ISP years ago, so I have a direct relationship with the DC.
Thanks Euler, yes I understand you can't get a quart out of a pint pot ... as to the resources needed I guess that's a shot in the dark initially with fine tuning based on experience going forward.

But can I just clarify the maintenance question. All set up up front but the future ...

Do you automatically upgrade BA as and when new versions are published and if so do you upgrade at Beta or when fully released?

Are Windows upgrades/security fixes performed as required?

Do you conduct back-ups? If so at what frequency/schedule and for the whole of the VPS or just the BA folders?

Return to “Technology”