Price in the market , live odds

A place to discuss anything.
Archangel

Most (I think) in play sports markets have a time delay. If you leave a back bet waiting at a certain price above the current price and, let assume there was a goal and the price shoot out to settle way above your bet, will you get matched at the price you set or at the best price once the time delay ends ?
sionascaig

.....at the best price once the time delay ends...(unless a suspension stops it)

If there is a suspension, say in the middle of a fill / kill then can get a:

"An error occurred while modifying price: The order cannot be processed as the market is suspended"

edit - if the suspension is quick, then the offset can still go in..
Archangel

sionascaig wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:28 pm
.....at the best price once the time delay ends...(unless a suspension stops it)

If there is a suspension, say in the middle of a fill / kill then can get a:

"An error occurred while modifying price: The order cannot be processed as the market is suspended"

edit - if the suspension is quick, then the offset can still go in..
Thanks!
Tuco

If your waiting back bet arrives in the market before the price shoots out, you will be matched at the price you put the waiting back bet in and not at the best price once the time delay ends.

If the waiting back bet arrives in the market after the time delay ends and after the market settles at a price above the price of your waiting back bet, then you would get the best price being the price at which the market settles after the time delay.

In every circumstance, the second bet arriving into the market is matched at the best available price.
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:05 pm
Most (I think) in play sports markets have a time delay. If you leave a back bet waiting at a certain price above the current price and, let assume there was a goal and the price shoot out to settle way above your bet, will you get matched at the price you set or at the best price once the time delay ends ?
In theory, the market should be suspended and the bet gets cancelled if it hits the market while it's suspended. I've often wondered what would happen in a 12-second delay match if you place a bet, goal scored, market suspended but reopened before the delay countdown hits zero. I suspect the bet's already cancelled but I've yet to find out for certain. :)
Tuco

...of course if your 'waiting' bet is cancelled due to a market suspension before the in-play delay reaches zero you won't be matched at all and remember not all markets are suspended when in-play and 'something' happens.
Archangel

Tuco wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:48 pm
If your waiting back bet arrives in the market before the price shoots out, you will be matched at the price you put the waiting back bet in and not at the best price once the time delay ends.

If the waiting back bet arrives in the market after the time delay ends and after the market settles at a price above the price of your waiting back bet, then you would get the best price being the price at which the market settles after the time delay.

In every circumstance, the second bet arriving into the market is matched at the best available price.
OK, so if for example the market is trading at 1.70 and I have a back bet waiting at 2.0, two minutes later the price shoots out to 3.0. I will be matched at 2 ?
Tuco

If you've already placed your 'waiting' bet into the market then of course you will only get matched at 2.0 even if someone fires a lay bet in at 3.0 or higher.

I'm actually watching the telly and truthfully thinking this is so obvious there must be a catch?

When you call your bet a 'waiting' bet, are you 'waiting' to fire your bet into the market or have you already fired the bet into the market before the price moves and 'waiting' for the bet to be matched?

If the former and you fire your bet into the market after the person who layed the selection at 3.0 then you would get 3.0, but if your bet is already in the market waiting to be matched then of course you would only get 2.0.

The reason I say that there must be a catch is that I learnt this on my very first day of using BetAngel some 15 years ago and as you're a long time BA user I'm surprised you don't already know this unless you don't trade in-play markets.
sionascaig

Tuco wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:48 pm
I'm actually watching the telly and truthfully thinking this is so obvious there must be a catch?
Me too... Confused that is...

Was assuming the bet is waiting to go into market not already in market?
Archangel

Tuco wrote:
If you've already placed your 'waiting' bet into the market then of course you will only get matched at 2.0 even if someone fires a lay bet in at 3.0 or higher.

When you call your bet a 'waiting' bet, are you 'waiting' to fire your bet into the market or have you already fired the bet into the market before the price moves and 'waiting' for the bet to be matched?

If the former and you fire your bet into the market after the person who layed the selection at 3.0 then you would get 3.0, but if your bet is already in the market waiting to be matched then of course you would only get 2.0.

The reason I say that there must be a catch is that I learnt this on my very first day of using BetAngel some 15 years ago and as you're a long time BA user I'm surprised you don't already know this unless you don't trade in-play markets.
How can a waiting bet be already in the market? If it was already in the market it would be matched surely ?

My question was more about the time delays in play and if a bet entering with the time delay after a suspension would get matched at best odds

Maybe I am being completely dumb, but it doesnt seem obvious to me
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:44 am
Tuco wrote:

How can a waiting bet be already in the market? If it was already in the market it would be matched surely ?

My question was more about the time delays in play and if a bet entering with the time delay after a suspension would get matched at best odds

If the market is still suspended when the bet hits the market at the end of the delay, the bet is cancelled. If the market suspends and unsuspends while the bet is still waiting, it should, and I think it does, still get cancelled, but I can't confirm that as it's yet to happen with me. It's not often the market gets reopened within five seconds.
Tuco

Archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:44 am

I don't think you have explained your situation very well Archie hence the confusion in the answers everyone is trying to give you, only to help you.

In most sports where there is an in-play delay there is no market suspension when something happens.

However, specifically in football there is an in-play delay and a market suspension when something happens, and all unmatched bets are cancelled whilst the market is suspended and before the market is unsuspended.

Please explain about this 2.0 'waiting' back bet of yours - please define what your 'waiting' back bet means? Is your back bet already in the market waiting to get matched at 2.0 or are you waiting to fire your bet into the market at 2.0 after a market suspension?

If you have placed the back bet in the market at 2.0 whilst the market is trading at 1.70 and before the market suspension, if matched before the suspension you will get matched at 2.0.

If you are going to place the back bet in the market after the market re-opens following a market suspension, if the market has re-settled on your selection at 3.0 on the back side at which time you fire in your bet at 2.0 you will receive 3.0 so long as there is sufficient money at 3.0 to match your stake.

If you are trading a market that has an in-play delay but doesn't suspend, then if you have a back bet in the market at 2.0 and someone fires in a lay bet at 3.0, they match and lay your back bet at 2.0 and the remainder of their lay bet stake is available to back at 3.0.

Did you ever stop to think about why the market is suspended in football after something happens? This really is school day 1 of in-play trading.
Tuco

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:08 pm
In theory, the market should be suspended and the bet gets cancelled if it hits the market while it's suspended. I've often wondered what would happen in a 12-second delay match if you place a bet, goal scored, market suspended but reopened before the delay countdown hits zero. I suspect the bet's already cancelled but I've yet to find out for certain. :)
The unmatched bets and those in the in-play delay are all cancelled the moment the market is suspended.
Archangel

Tuco wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:39 pm

Did you ever stop to think about why the market is suspended in football after something happens?
Why is that Tuco ?
Derek27

Tuco wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:08 pm
The unmatched bets and those in the in-play delay are all cancelled the moment the market is suspended.
Thanks. The thing that confused me is that the countdown timer continues even when the market is suspended, but I guess that's BA counting down rather than Betfair.

Return to “General discussion”