Blue cards coming to football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Kai

With players removed from field for 10 minutes for cynical fouls or dissent etc

Have a feeling this might be a protracted topic in football :roll:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -sin-bins/
sionascaig

Will have to pay the suspend monkey double.
Euler

I hope that VAR reviews all blue card decisions, that would really enhance the game.
Derek27

It should be a pink card, or something in between yellow and red.

Second thoughts, orange, or will that be a problem for people who are colourblind?
sionascaig

I vote the ref makes them run round the outside of the pitch just like in PE...

Certainly a lot more entertaining for the fans & very profitable for the suppliers of plastic bottles.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm
It should be a pink card, or something in between yellow and red.
No Derek :D

Kai

Just seems a baffling decision overall, we can barely work out what is yellow and what is red

Goldbridge doesn't seem happy either : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQorxZ_hEhI

But he never is :)
weemac

Determining if a foul is cynical requires mind-reading skills.
Michael5482

What a stupid idea, football is run by idiots.
wearthefoxhat

So they seemed to have modelled it on rugby to mainly help stop dissent (sin bin), I suspect the cynical foul will still be viewed as a yellow.

2 blues = sending off? 1 yellow & 1 blue = 2 sin bins, a cup of tea and a cornish pasty?

Taking all that into account and VAR, it's becoming more of an american football model. A 60 minute game that lasts typically 3 hours+! Plenty of opportunities for extra trading though.
conduirez

So what is the ten minutes actually going to be, game time, or actual time?

If it's actual time and there is a five minute VAR stop in the middle of it can you imagine the pundits will say on TV and the opposing manager.

If it's game time then is the referee going to stop the game allow the player back on the pitch and then have a drop ball. If the referee waits for the next stop in the game and that stop is the opposing team scoring 3 minutes later, then that was effectively a 13 minute ban to the naughty person step.

Just allow substitutions for Red Cards, the ruling bodies could allow themselves the right to amend the result after the game should they so wish.
Kai

Goalkeepers not exempt from blue card sin-bins : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... fab-trial/

Fun times ahead!
Tuco

Michael5482 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:38 pm
What a stupid idea, football is run by idiots.
...correct!

I've said for a long time the following:

1) matches need to have a 'ball-in play' clock for all to see on the scoreboards.

2) the 1st yellow card should mean a 10 minute (ball-in-play) visit to the sin bin.

3) a 2nd yellow card should mean a 20 minute (ball-in-play) visit to the sin bin.

4) a 3rd yellow card should mean you haven't learnt a single thing from the previous two yellow cards and you're sent off, ie three yellow cards = a red card.

5) only the Captain can speak with the referee - anyone else and you'll be taking a trip to the sin bin.

6) each Captain can request a VAR review in any situation (throw-in, corner etc.) and be wrong once per half - if right the review isn't lost.

In this way in could still mean it's 11 v 11 for some of the match even if someone has received two yellow cards when they would currently have been sent off, but you HAVE to introduce the ball-in-play clock BEFORE the sin bin for yellow cards, otherwise the ball-boys and/or the crowd will simply hold onto the ball when it suits them to do so, thus delaying and spoiling the game.
Derek27

I'm still not clear exactly what shade of blue the card will be - it seems to vary from light to deep blue in all the pics I've seen.
wearthefoxhat

I think they missed a trick.

Use a blue card to penalise a player for dissent (no sin bin). If it's a free kick, advance the ball 10 or 20 yards. If the resulting 10 or 20 yards means the ball is in, or in line with the penalty area, a penalty kick is given. They'll soon STFU....

If the same player is given a 2nd blue card, then a yellow card is given. If he continues to dissent, 2nd yellow card (sent off) and an advanced 10 - 20 yards for the offence.

Current rules for how serious a foul is remains the same with yellow and red cards.

F*&K knows about handball. Reckon it should be kept simple, ball hits arm/hand, free kick/penalty awarded.

VAR must remember what it stands for: = Video Assistant Referee.
If on field referee is okay with their decision, they can tell VAR to do one.

Return to “Football trading”