Not enough hours in the day!

A place to discuss anything.
Fugazi

I am finding it really frustrating at the moment finding the time for trading. I've started to make consistent small profits and have a thousand ideas now how I can scale up and replicate in multiple markets.

As a day job I'm a physiotherapist but only been at it about 6 months and I am at a great place for building my experience and will be incredibly employable anywhere with another 12 months experience.

I have a lot of hobbies and social activities so I'm finding it really frustrating not having full days to to just work on trading. It feels like if I could just spend 6 months full time on this I could seriously be profitable to the point I dont need the day job.

Thing is, I would never quit the day job without consistently tripling my salary trading and building up a large safety net if suddenly something happens and Im no longer profitable.

Anyone else been in this situation before? How did you manage? Ultimately, I guess I just have to be patient and stop day dreaming :lol:
Anbell

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 am
I am finding it really frustrating at the moment finding the time for trading. I've started to make consistent small profits and have a thousand ideas now how I can scale up and replicate in multiple markets.

As a day job I'm a physiotherapist but only been at it about 6 months and I am at a great place for building my experience and will be incredibly employable anywhere with another 12 months experience.

I have a lot of hobbies and social activities so I'm finding it really frustrating not having full days to to just work on trading. It feels like if I could just spend 6 months full time on this I could seriously be profitable to the point I dont need the day job.

Thing is, I would never quit the day job without consistently tripling my salary trading and building up a large safety net if suddenly something happens and Im no longer profitable.

Anyone else been in this situation before? How did you manage? Ultimately, I guess I just have to be patient and stop day dreaming :lol:
I'd probably lower my expectations a little bit.
Fugazi

Anbell wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:33 am
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 am

I'd probably lower my expectations a little bit.
Yes triple is a bit adventurous to say the least.

But I am getting tired of people telling me trading is difficult and it takes years... over and over and over again. I see a lot of pretentious attitudes where people think I'm just another newbie thats had a lucky weekend and doesn't understand the nuances and complexities to succeed.

Do I need to start responding with screenshots to get past the default responses of "this took me years, its impossible you did it in a month"?

I get that you see it every damn week on here. Some newbie that doesn't even know what a betting exchange is and expects to click some buttons and be a millionaire in a few months...

Can we please change the record and just accept I may have some clue what I am doing ?
sionascaig

"Cracking" greyhounds "over the weekend" made me chuckle...

Great you are off to a positive start though, although might need a bit more data to confirm how cracked it is.

And full marks for positivity!
Fugazi

sionascaig wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 am
"Cracking" greyhounds "over the weekend" made me chuckle...

Great you are off to a positive start though, although might need a bit more data to confirm how cracked it is.

And full marks for positivity!
Suppose its one of them gotta see it to believe it things.

Maybe I just give it a few months, post the results then I can get past the newbie tag and have some more in depth discussion to progress to the next step...

The reason i believe Ive cracked so quickly is that Dallas has literally posted all the strategies with his automations. You just have to figure out the logic behind the automations and what settings to add/change to make them work.

He doesn't just post random automations....
sionascaig

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 am

Maybe I just give it a few months, post the results then I can get past the newbie tag and have some more in depth discussion to progress to the next step...
As the next step will involve collecting data / refining what you do, you could prepare now by collecting data... Although a 1st port of call will be BF bet history and the analysis of that...

If you want to get ahead of the game, could download what you have done so far and think about how to analyse it... That may help you decide whether there are additional items of data that are worth collecting now to help going forward.

(that's if you are an analysis / data or model driven trader - not everyone is the later)
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 am
But I am getting tired of people telling me trading is difficult and it takes years... over and over and over again. I see a lot of pretentious attitudes where people think I'm just another newbie thats had a lucky weekend and doesn't understand the nuances and complexities to succeed.

Do I need to start responding with screenshots to get past the default responses of "this took me years, its impossible you did it in a month"?

I get that you see it every damn week on here. Some newbie that doesn't even know what a betting exchange is and expects to click some buttons and be a millionaire in a few months...

Can we please change the record and just accept I may have some clue what I am doing ?
We warn people about trading pitfalls because doing it the other way around would be disastrous

But also irresponsible and immoral, so we try to manage their expectations if possible, when they can't, and thus manage their risk, for a smoother journey overall

It is possible one has the ideal balanced skillset baseline that's required for quick learning in a traditionally difficult profession such as trading

But hopefully you'll appreciate the fact that most people don't, and won't go around telling everyone that struggles how ridiculously easy it should be
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:28 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 am

We warn people about trading pitfalls because doing it the other way around would be disastrous

But also irresponsible and immoral, so we try to manage their expectations if possible, when they can't, and thus manage their risk, for a smoother journey overall

It is possible one has the ideal balanced skillset baseline that's required for quick learning in a traditionally difficult profession such as trading

But hopefully you'll appreciate the fact that most people don't, and won't go around telling everyone that struggles how ridiculously easy it should be
Yeah I understand. I see the posts myself and think oh no, this guy is gonna land in some trouble. One I spotted today that smells of a gambling habit about to form. I appreciate the honestly generally from the marketers.

Flip side I start banging my head against the wall everytime I mention I seem to be succeeding and I'm met with "Does not compute. Impossible. You must spend 5 years learning first". Makes it hard to have a discussion thats progressive.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:59 pm
Yeah I understand.
If you've well and truly cracked it then you should be able to understand wherein the difficulties lie for a lot of people, as this then becomes part of your edge

Obviously if you don't think it's sensible to give it a full season's worth of markets to confirm how they react throughout different periods of the year then feel free to post more than test stakes to prove people wrong if it bothers you that much

But by doing that and indulging your exuberance you may just be showcasing an edge and giving others another arrow to their quiver (random accidental shout-out to Archery69), which is a tricky little pitfall in itself innit

A deeper "meaningful discussion" may definitely be +EV for you but probably a net loss for others, why should they take a poor value deal when they make a living doing the exact opposite
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:59 pm
Yeah I understand.
A deeper "meaningful discussion" may definitely be +EV for you but probably a net loss for others, why should they take a poor value deal when they make a living doing the exact opposite
Of course, what I really meant was in the context of this thread. I wanted some advice for how people manage the frustrations of their day job stopping them investing their time into something that long term could be more lucrative.

But in the first comment rather than addressing what I was asking, it was just repetition of the same advice rather than a discussion on what I asked... I wasn't asking for trading secrets :lol:

As for the screenshots, I guess better to stay quiet and be thought stupid.As much as my ego foolishly wants to brag at the risk of some edge. However, if anyone really disbelieves then they can send me $10 for them :lol: :lol: :lol:
CloseBets

At the end of the day trading isn't that hard, sometimes it just clicks, you don't need to spend years for it to click. The experience comes in when maintaining and keeping those profits and that usually takes your time, not anyone else's time.

If you've cracked it those skills won't disappear overnight so no need to grab everything going just fill your boots when the opportunity arises , that'll show you if you have really cracked it when you can go a few weeks on and off and still churn the same results. If you can automate things that would be my advice to you. Plus don't underestimate the fact that trading is boring to fuck , you'll soon be missing any social company at work after a few months sat in front of a PC watching ladders.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm
I wanted some advice for how people manage the frustrations of their day job stopping them investing their time into something that long term could be more lucrative.
No idea honestly, kudos to anyone that did it that way, I freed up all my time and basically took a leap of faith, although a part-timer can earn the same or more as a full-timer

But was already a PC payer when I came to ask where to learn more in my 1st posts, then I fked off for a couple years to do just that and went on the pilgrimage, so came back to s̶p̶a̶m̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶e̶s̶ offer a bit of constructive feedback, and hang out with Derek over in the Liverpool thread :)

Maybe that was the wrong way to do it, who knows... considering investing in a business, if only to wash away the social stigma

All I know is that 2 hours of deepwork > 20 hours of distracted work, so you just have to find those hours somehow
Archery1969

You don’t need to collect data on any market or sport.
Fugazi

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm
I mean... the price goes up down left right. You just gotta take advantage of the fugazi :D
sionascaig

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 pm
I mean... the price goes up down left right. You just gotta take advantage of the fugazi :D
And a gun doesn't need bullets to be an effective weapon, but I would prefer to have bullets. Each to their own I suppose.

Return to “General discussion”