An old newbie needing help.

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
boscow

Hi, to anyone willing to listen and answer. I am an oldie trying to make sense of the different automation BAF files on the forum. I have managed to download and edit various of these files, but have never been able to edit sufficiently to make these files give me a steady profit. Apart from Peter who kicked off Betangel, are there any members who are making a profit/living out of Betangel and if so are willing to give advise/help with the automation side of this wonderful piece of software?
Kind regards and thanks in anticipation,
Eric AKA bosco1951
hecojef928

Could you share what strategies you've already tried and how they worked out? What sports are you trying to automate? What challenges are you facing with automation, and why do you think it's not delivering the results you want?
weemac

You don't take automation files and just turn them into profit. You think up good ideas and then use automation files to execute them.
greenmark

weemac has reiterated advice that has been offered for years now. Ask for how to configure BA and you will get help - Dallas plus others.
Ask how to make a profit and you're asking a competitor how to beat them.
Derek27

boscow wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 pm
Hi, to anyone willing to listen and answer. I am an oldie trying to make sense of the different automation BAF files on the forum. I have managed to download and edit various of these files, but have never been able to edit sufficiently to make these files give me a steady profit. Apart from Peter who kicked off Betangel, are there any members who are making a profit/living out of Betangel and if so are willing to give advise/help with the automation side of this wonderful piece of software?
Eric AKA bosco1951
When you're a newbie, it's a bit early to think about making a "steady profit". Many people spend over a year breaking even. It's that extra experience and knowledge gained over time that can tip the balance in your favour.
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm
boscow wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 pm
Eric AKA bosco1951
When you're a newbie, it's a bit early to think about making a "steady profit". Many people spend over a year breaking even. It's that extra experience and knowledge gained over time that can tip the balance in your favour.
To be honest I think even thats a stretch. I imagine many spend many years randomly scalping
NotBothered

this is a question that bugs the crap out of me that there is not more knowledgeable action available for people - and raising the standard to well - you have to use the tool for a year - lose start over and at some point many people give up.

If I was starting today from zero

I would go to the VWAP 10% automation - the one I uploaded with the variable time settings

Next I would identify the markets I want to bet and study them - and then start to configure the bands

Next I would start adding conditions to mimic what you want to do

ok at his point your only 75% done -- but you will have something that can trade markets and you can limit and identify bets and make some sort of profit

BUT

at this point you need to start identifying how to add more advanced features - like a volatility filter - or a high low range calculator so if it breaks out the trade is not taken

lots of little tweaks that are the difference to long term success and a very moderate profit.

Let me just say there is no roadmap anywhere on this forum that works -- everything is cherrypicked or edited and is not realistic for the average user -- so you will need to take responsibility for yourself and moving forward .. and try not to rely on others too much - as lets be honest they are not going to help you very much - they are just going to troll you.
Derek27

NotBothered wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:45 pm
this is a question that bugs the crap out of me that there is not more knowledgeable action available for people - and raising the standard to well - you have to use the tool for a year - lose start over and at some point many people give up.

I would go to the VWAP 10% automation - the one I uploaded with the variable time settings

Next I would identify the markets I want to bet and study them - and then start to configure the bands

ok at his point your only 75% done -- but you will have something that can trade markets and you can limit and identify bets and make some sort of profit

BUT

at this point you need to start identifying how to add more advanced features - like a volatility filter - or a high low range calculator so if it breaks out the trade is not taken

lots of little tweaks that are the difference to long term success and a very moderate profit.

Let me just say there is no roadmap anywhere on this forum that works -- everything is cherrypicked or edited and is not realistic for the average user -- so you will need to take responsibility for yourself and moving forward .. and try not to rely on others too much - as lets be honest they are not going to help you very much - they are just going to troll you.
Speak for yourself mate! That may be your attitude but the vast majority on the forum are here to help.
Fugazi

NotBothered wrote:

BUT

People will help. But I think it depends on your starting point.

A lot of newbies buy the software thinking they will click some buttons and start making profit. These kind of newbies are really difficult as really they need a training course outside the scope of what's available - as you kind of allude to the Betangel videos can mislead people. They spend a long time thinking they can just watch ladders and scalp as it works in the videos and it goes over their head when Peter says they need to be selective on markets for this. Newbies will never catch on to the significance of this and just keep trying to scalp randomly over and over and over.

Im kind of divided on this kind of newbie. In some ways I think well, they expected to click a button and start profiting and they have no ability to think out of the box so don't really deserve to be spoon fed as they're never going to learn the skills needed to create their own method. Truthfully I just find it naive someone thinks they are buying a money tree for £150. If i was one of those in the know I wouldn't be willing to help that level of naivety I wouldn't feel they deserve to be spoon fed. Flipside I know what you mean by the feeling you've been trolled. You see questions on here and think ah man, theyre going the wrong way and are going to waste a lot of time. Usually by trying to copy the videos.

Then you get newbies that have some sort of mathematics background, or are already knowledgable in sports analytics. Or even just have a strong understanding of horse handicapping for example and the nuances of why we get false fabourites etc. They've seen the videos and know that it is not going to be that easy and it is a bit of a marketing ploy. They come into this expecting to find holes in the simple methods shown and are pretty focused in finding the solution rather than being explicitly told it.

This kind of newbie can be taught. This kind of newbie asks all the right questions and will find they get all the right help.

If the majority were successful with Betangel, subscription would massively increase, competition would therefore have to get more difficult requiring more complex solutions to be profitable. Ultimately a vicious cycle where only x percent of users can be profitable. The more information that's provided, the greater the complexity becomes needed to 'beat the system'

I think ultimately only a percentage of.users can be successful no matter what, it wouldnt mathematically work for a large percentage to be profitable. Not even 50 percent could be profitable considering comission. And you would be fighting over pennies if 45 percent of people were profitable...
Euler

NotBothered wrote:
People are incredibly generous with their help on the forum, but you must realise nobody is going to give away something they have worked incredibly hard to make work.

So if you get frustrated that people are not handing their strategies and tactics to you on a plate, you still have much to learn about trading.

Trading is about finding your own edge, not expecting others to just lay out a vanilla copy and repeat process. That's just nonsense.

There are a ton of clues, hints, tips, frameworks for you to build on in the forum and plenty of experience. But you need to be willing to listen, learn and be humble to find your own edge and be a good trader.
Anbell

Euler wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:58 am
NotBothered wrote:
People are incredibly generous with their help on the forum, but you must realise nobody is going to give away something they have worked incredibly hard to make work.

So if you get frustrated that people are not handing their strategies and tactics to you on a plate, you still have much to learn about trading.

Trading is about finding your own edge, not expecting others to just lay out a vanilla copy and repeat process. That's just nonsense.

There are a ton of clues, hints, tips, frameworks for you to build on in the forum and plenty of experience. But you need to be willing to listen, learn and be humble to find your own edge and be a good trader.
Well said as usual.

The other way I think about it, in terms of explaining it to people, is that I have the choice of either a) explaining to some stranger how to make say, $5k per year, or b) taking that extra $ for myself and my family. (apart from the fact that if I explained it in a public forum then all excess profits would disappear and nobody would win)
Anbell

Fugazi wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 am
NotBothered wrote:

BUT

People will help. But I think it depends on your starting point.

A lot of newbies buy the software thinking they will click some buttons and start making profit. These kind of newbies are really difficult as really they need a training course outside the scope of what's available - as you kind of allude to the Betangel videos can mislead people. They spend a long time thinking they can just watch ladders and scalp as it works in the videos and it goes over their head when Peter says they need to be selective on markets for this. Newbies will never catch on to the significance of this and just keep trying to scalp randomly over and over and over.

Im kind of divided on this kind of newbie. In some ways I think well, they expected to click a button and start profiting and they have no ability to think out of the box so don't really deserve to be spoon fed as they're never going to learn the skills needed to create their own method. Truthfully I just find it naive someone thinks they are buying a money tree for £150. If i was one of those in the know I wouldn't be willing to help that level of naivety I wouldn't feel they deserve to be spoon fed. Flipside I know what you mean by the feeling you've been trolled. You see questions on here and think ah man, theyre going the wrong way and are going to waste a lot of time. Usually by trying to copy the videos.

Then you get newbies that have some sort of mathematics background, or are already knowledgable in sports analytics. Or even just have a strong understanding of horse handicapping for example and the nuances of why we get false fabourites etc. They've seen the videos and know that it is not going to be that easy and it is a bit of a marketing ploy. They come into this expecting to find holes in the simple methods shown and are pretty focused in finding the solution rather than being explicitly told it.

This kind of newbie can be taught. This kind of newbie asks all the right questions and will find they get all the right help.

If the majority were successful with Betangel, subscription would massively increase, competition would therefore have to get more difficult requiring more complex solutions to be profitable. Ultimately a vicious cycle where only x percent of users can be profitable. The more information that's provided, the greater the complexity becomes needed to 'beat the system'

I think ultimately only a percentage of.users can be successful no matter what, it wouldnt mathematically work for a large percentage to be profitable. Not even 50 percent could be profitable considering comission. And you would be fighting over pennies if 45 percent of people were profitable...
I think it'd help if you thought a bit more about the fact that profits arent normally distributed.
Archery1969

Personally, from my own journey, I think you are very wrong with this statement.

Over the years, many people here helped me along the way. Yes I made mistakes and lost money but its a learning curve with trial and error. But nobody is going to give you a system or systems to print money so to speak. Who have to put allot of effort in like most things in life if you want to be successful etc.

Probably the biggest help I had was watching Peter/Euler's videos. There are some big fat clues!!!
Archery1969

One of the best videos of Peter's to watach is the one whereby it identifies and takes on a market spoofer. The logic and approach could be used on any market and be used not just against manual or automated spoofers but to trade market dynamics. Watch it multiple times and it should click in your head what and more importantly what not to do.
Fugazi

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 am

Probably the biggest help I had was watching Peter/Euler's videos. There are some big fat clues!!!
That's the problem. Some people are just unable to pick up on the clues. And without that level of thinking, its a waste of time helping them further. You'll end up doing all the heavy lifting for them.

If I had one tip I would be willing to give, its work out who the successful members are. Read through their posts. Over the years they let slip clues here and there. Add them all together and you have most of the pieces to the puzzle.

Even something as simple as that people just don't think deep enough to do.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”