Thoughts on Horse Racing

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
hecojef928

I've been exploring manual pre-off Horse Racing for sometime and it has been quite a challenge for me. It doesn't quite align with my trading style, leaving me feeling a bit frustrated. I've continued to pursue, but I have come to a halt now. Crafting a solid strategy has proven tough, especially with the market's erratic shifts in volatility driven by panic and obvious manipulation. Lately, it's been an uphill battle.

5 Minutes before the off, Horse Racing odds seem swayed by emotions—panic, sudden shifts—making strategy development and accurate testing over time difficult. In comparison, markets like Football, particularly in-play markets, make more sense to me. The odds respond well, and offering a logical framework to work with.

Attempting to consistently profit through scalping feels akin to grasping at straws too. While I may secure some profit, navigating sudden spikes and price breakouts leaves me scratching my head quite often. While some may find success in these markets, it's proven challenging for my style. Automating a strategy might offer a solution, but manual trading remains daunting.

I'm curious about others experiences navigating these markets. How did you find Horse Racing? Have you encountered similar challenges? How do you approach it? Additionally, apart from Horse Racing, what other markets do you find easier to trade? I'm eager to hear from those who have also found difficulty with this type of market.
wearthefoxhat

hecojef928 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:14 pm

5 Minutes before the off, Horse Racing odds seem swayed by emotions—panic, sudden shifts—making strategy development and accurate testing over time difficult. In comparison, markets like Football, particularly in-play markets, make more sense to me. The odds respond well, and offering a logical framework to work with.
I've read about a few that have struggled 5 mins or 2 mins before the off for the very reasons you mentioned. Scalping doesn't lend itself very well to volatile conditions, swing trading does. That said, applying it to the right market is important.

I have had some success at monitoring horse-race markets 1 hour before the off-time, and then trading out before the panic, sudden shifts kick in. This works best for swing trading and isn't everyones' cup of tea. I took some time watching the markets breathe and formed a strategy from my findings. It's quite simplistic compared to all the clever coding and bot dipping in and out postions, but it's a good starting point.

Agree about football in-play markets. If you can predict goals or lack of goals, then a strategy can be formed when to enter/exit accordingly.
hecojef928

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 pm
hecojef928 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:14 pm

I've read about a few that have struggled 5 mins or 2 mins before the off for the very reasons you mentioned. Scalping doesn't lend itself very well to volatile conditions, swing trading does. That said, applying it to the right market is important.

I have had some success at monitoring horse-race markets 1 hour before the off-time, and then trading out before the panic, sudden shifts kick in. This works best for swing trading and isn't everyones' cup of tea. I took some time watching the markets breathe and formed a strategy from my findings. It's quite simplistic compared to all the clever coding and bot dipping in and out postions, but it's a good starting point.

Agree about football in-play markets. If you can predict goals or lack of goals, then a strategy can be formed when to enter/exit accordingly.
I've been focusing on swing setups and using scalping techniques in more specific higher-odds markets. However, I've noticed that the market tends to get erratic, making it tough to stay focused and execute trades accordingly. It's possible I'm getting caught up in the market noise and getting distracted by the volatile nature before the event.

Thanks for the advice; I think it's worth exploring and refining my approach in certain areas. While I've been taught to trade before the event starts, I'm open to trying out different ideas to suit my style. Thanks.
NotBothered

I have been discussing this very issue and am launching an excel thread to add more filters to the mix so as to be able to scalp more precisely and avoid all the crap your talking about

WOM - MA these concepts work when it is a very specific situation and is not suitable really for most people unless you can really find the markets well

Anyway I hope to have something that you may like shortly - although I am missing a real solid excel person at the moment
hecojef928

NotBothered wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 am
I have been discussing this very issue and am launching an excel thread to add more filters to the mix so as to be able to scalp more precisely and avoid all the crap your talking about

WOM - MA these concepts work when it is a very specific situation and is not suitable really for most people unless you can really find the markets well

Anyway I hope to have something that you may like shortly - although I am missing a real solid excel person at the moment
It's good to connect with others who share similar experiences. Are you currently exploring the Weight of Money and Moving Average? Is that right? I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've finished your testing. While I haven't used Excel much, I've found Bet Angel's Guardian to be very good in areas, and I've found the files on the forum helpful.
NotBothered

I worked hard to get WOM working - and I built MA as well

but to be honest these are small scale automations with limits to what they can do -- it comes down to they need the best scenario to work otherwise they are not useful - in terms of betting bigger

right now I am looking at a much larger scale project with more advanced features - which will evolve over time through trial and error and which has the most impact

its too early to tell on this

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”