Why can I use Betfair App on my phone when abroad in "roaming" mode?

A place to discuss anything.
On_The_Edge

So last year when I was on holiday in Portugal and Canary Islands, as well as some other countries, I noticed that when using my smart phone on "roaming" setting (with local wifi switched off), I could log in and place bets via Betfair app as normal. Same with Betdaq. Why is that? I am aware that Betfair is banned in those countries, so what is it about the phone roaming network that enables the access? I am with EE if it makes any difference.

Secondly. I am going to Portugal again soon and would like to use Betfair app on my phone again. But I am concerned that this activity is still being picked up by Betfair and Betdaq management somehow, and worried about consequences - could they detect this and use this to claim I am breaking their terms and conditions / confiscate winnings in my account? Or block my account?
conduirez

On_The_Edge wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:26 am
So last year when I was on holiday in Portugal and Canary Islands, as well as some other countries, I noticed that when using my smart phone on "roaming" setting (with local wifi switched off), I could log in and place bets via Betfair app as normal. Same with Betdaq. Why is that? I am aware that Betfair is banned in those countries, so what is it about the phone roaming network that enables the access? I am with EE if it makes any difference.

Secondly. I am going to Portugal again soon and would like to use Betfair app on my phone again. But I am concerned that this activity is still being picked up by Betfair and Betdaq management somehow, and worried about consequences - could they detect this and use this to claim I am breaking their terms and conditions / confiscate winnings in my account? Or block my account?
Your phone is being connected by the local network directly to the EE servers in the UK for processing, the EE servers have a UK IP address, so Betfair equipment will see you are placing bets from an IP address in the UK.
conduirez

conduirez wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:46 am
On_The_Edge wrote:

Your phone is being connected by the local network directly to the EE servers in the UK for processing, the EE servers have a UK IP address, so Betfair equipment will see you are placing bets from an IP address in the UK.
Just add this link on for you to check when you are data roaming abroad what your phones IP address is showing as.

https://nordvpn.com/what-is-my-ip/
On_The_Edge

conduirez wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:21 am
conduirez wrote:
On_The_Edge wrote:

Just add this link on for you to check when you are data roaming abroad what your phones IP address is showing as.

Thanks a lot. So I understand that I shouldn't be concerned about betfair finding out and "punishing" me for using the app abroad?
conduirez

On_The_Edge wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:02 pm
conduirez wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:21 am
conduirez wrote:

Thanks a lot. So I understand that I shouldn't be concerned about betfair finding out and "punishing" me for using the app abroad?
I give no guarantees about Betfair shutting down accounts, there has been a lot of members who have had their accounts shut for no good reason that anyone can see. In fact one high profile member was shut down today for reasons I nor better traders than me can fathom.

However unless BT tell Betfair when data roaming that you are abroad, I don't see how Betfair could tell if you are using your mobile in Madrid or Middlesborough, as the current system stands, your IP address will be shown as a UK address. Always check though with the link I gave you.

Never ring Betfair from Abroad though.
jamesedwards

You could consider leaving a laptop running at home then control it via your phone using a simple access app like Chrome Remote Desktop.

That way your bets are being triggered from a device situated in the UK.

Return to “General discussion”