Pre-race cross matching

The sport of kings.
billyford1

Following the successful launch of cross-matching on in-play racing markets, there will be a trial of cross-matching on pre-play racing markets.

On Tuesday 30th November, cross-matching will be turned on in all of the win markets at Lingfield Park. It will be switched on at around 8am and should remain on until the end of the race.

We don’t expect customers to notice any material difference in the way the markets operate at Lingfield Park.

Should be interesting.
andyfuller

Will be interesting to see how they deal with non-runners. Still waiting on a reply from them about it from 6 days ago.....
billyford1

Fair point Andy i'd imagine that they would have to void cetain bet's wouldn't they?
andyfuller

No way they could do that. People would never know where they stood as you never know what you have been cross matched against, so a withdrawal of runner A could mean bets being cancelled on any of the other runners.
mugsgame

I reckon what they are counting on is over the long term they will win some and lose some, it will average itself out over the year.
andyfuller

Would be surprised if that was the case. I don't buy the whole it will level out over time argument, people say that about Withdrawals and I must be in for a hell of a run where I make money from the withdrawals. Reason being that most times I have profits so when a horse is WD I lose my green on it, I rarely have a red so near impossible for it to even out over time.

Likewise with this, if they won or lost the same amount regardless of which horse was WD then yes it would even out over time but they are unlikely to have it that way and as such they could take a hammering I would guess - though I am sure they know what they are doing and would only bring it in if it was worth their while.
billyford1

I've been trying to think of possible solutions but it's making my head hurt :(
jimrobo

I am actually a bit worried about this. Is this going to affect market behaviour?? and I can't see any other situation than us getting screwed over after a late withdrawal.
andyfuller

Think it does have the potential to affect market behaviour but how, I guess we will find out....
Euler

There was me hoping to sneak off for an early night with the flu!

I also think it will affect market behaviour. I understand the markets very well so should be able to spot the effect but it will take some time to gather data. I'm going to do a cut of my existing data tonight so I can collect new data afresh from tomorrow.

I don't particulary like the way Betfair introduced cross matching and started messing around in markets that were functioning correctly already. I don't trust the motive TBH. But lets see what happens. My gut feel is that it will feel like there is even less money around, but I could be wrong. Let's not try and pre-judge it.
Euler

I guess R4's will be dealt with in the same fashion as before? They will just treat a matched bet as being part of that adjustment. We will have to wait for the first R4 to know?
andyfuller

Euler wrote:My gut feel is that it will feel like there is even less money around, but I could be wrong. Let's not try and pre-judge it.
My gut feeling is the opposite, I think it will feel like there is more money around but the moves will behave differently. As for not pre-judging it....you can't beat a good old bit of fact'less speculation and scaremongering :lol: . Why let the truth and facts get in the way of a good discussion ;)
Euler

We have some very good data so on the assumption we actually see some racing we should be able to accurately tell everybody what impact it has had.
Last edited by Euler on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I guess R4's will be dealt with in the same fashion as before? They will just treat a matched bet as being part of that adjustment. We will have to wait for the first R4 to know?
But what about if your back on Horse A has been partially matched against the WD, Horse B. Who stands the liability now in order for your bet to stand?
LeTiss

It will be interesting to see how people trading on outsiders are affected. It will probably feel as though there's more activity on big priced horses than normal

Return to “Trading Horse racing”