Folks 14.30

The sport of kings.
oddstrader

i think i have pretty much seen it allnow, jockey rides for the finish and a lap to go , wouldnt like to be in his shoes :roll:
mugsgame

I never made a mistake in my job in 22 years :)
oddstrader

must have been a very long walk back to the weighing room, poor guy ! but if you backed it you wouldnt have sympathy i guess or owned/trained it
oddstrader

12 day ban , costly mistake.
andyfuller

We see this at least once a year it seems.

Now I know the jockey is at fault but who actually suffers the most? The sport in general from all the bad press and bad feelings from punters.

So surely they should look for a cure rather than just keep punishing as the punishments are not fixing the problem clearly as it keeps happening.

Increasing the ban will make no difference imo.

So what about benchmarking against other sports.

For example in Athletics they have a bell for the last circuit - if the noise would be an issue how about a light.

I know the jockies should know better but it is all well and good saying that but it keeps happening and the sport keeps suffering.

Something needs doing.
oddstrader

i agree , plenty of options open to them
mugsgame

Andy, on that note at Ascot when they pass Swinley Bottom (6 f) they ring a bell. I don't know why, tradition I guess.
andyfuller

Yeah not sure why they do that - but the ringing of a bell can't be an issue really as they do it to tell the jockies it is time to mount in the parade ring and in America they do it in the starting stalls.

There are so many people on the track working I am sure it could be introduced without increasing costs bar buying a bell!
Dobbin

Hi Folks

At the end of the day they are Professionals.

Do they really need a Bell to tell them where they are in the race.

Next they will be fitted with SatNav just to make sure they ride the correct course :lol:

Jockey error. Happens in all walks of life.

Dobbin
andyfuller

Yes fully agree no one is saying it is not their fault I don't think.

But it being their fault does not help Racing as a whole. Racing as an industry suffers each and everytime this happens so surely you have to agree it would be better to put in a measure to try and stop it ever happening again as the current measures clearly do not work.

A 14 day ban doesn't seem to stop it so I see no reason whya 1 year ban would. They are clearly making an error of judgement but a punishment will never stop it. Something needs putting in place.

We will still be saying they are professionals and should know better next time it happens and then the next time and the next time and the next time. We will feel better ourselves but more people will be turned off racing as a betting medium and more bad PR will be attracted to the sport.
andyfuller

Dobbin wrote:Jockey error. Happens in all walks of life.
Yes it is jockey error and yes people make errors in all walks of life. But any industry/business should look to try and prevent the error in the first place.

An extreme example would be on a band saw.

Everyone knows they shouldn't put their hand on the blade as it will cut their hand off but people still do it. So what happens, you put a guard over the blade to try and stop it. Yes some idiot will still find a way to cut their hand off on the blade but a lot of people will have their hand saved due to the blade guard.

Of course that is an extreme example and bares little comparison to someone riding a circuit too soon but it highlights the need to try and prevent things if possible rather than just saying they should know better.
Dobbin

Hi Andy

I agree with you entirely

But look at the state of this country now that we legislate for idiots.

Everything ends up being take to the extreme.

I was a construction Manager in the City of Westminster.

I was responsible restoring the columns and facade on Greater London House.

http://www.greaterlondonhouse.com/media ... story1.jpg

Due to current Health and Safety plus Noise Abatement legislation I was only allowed to give permission to my team to drill on the building between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Then again between 4:30 p.m and 5:30 p.m.

This added 16 weeks to the work and almost £500,000.00 to the cost

Saturday: 8.00am to 1.00pm
Sundays and Bank/Public Holidays: No Working

Most is done with good intentions but once you give the jobs worths an inch they take a mile.

Like Health and Safety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... EFUSE.html

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

Three students were hailed as heroes last night after rescuing a drowning woman - as police stood by and watched.

Graham McGrath, Rosie Lucey and Rhys Black were walking beside the Albert Bridge in Glasgow when they saw the 37-year-old in the River Clyde, shouting for help.

Mr McGrath and Miss Lucey jumped in and pulled her to the bank. Mr Black then waded in and dragged all three ashore.
Graham McGrath, Rosie Lucey and Rhys Black (not pictured) helped save the life of a woman drowning in the River Clyde

Brave and fast-acting: Graham McGrath, Rosie Lucey and Rhys Black (not pictured) helped save the life of a woman drowning in the River Clyde

But as the courageous trio performed the dramatic rescue, Strathclyde Police officers held back worried onlookers on Glasgow's Albert bridge.

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: 'It is not the responsibility of the police to go into the water - it's the fire and rescue service.'

The trio, who are all 18-year-old first-year students at Glasgow University, yesterday recalled the rescue, which happened at around 1.30pm on Saturday.

Mr McGrath said: 'There was a woman in the water shouting for help. There was somebody throwing lifebelts to her, but she couldn't get to them.

'It became apparent nobody was doing anything else. She was getting lower and lower in the water.'

Miss Lucey said: 'We realised we were watching someone drown.'

After dragging the woman to the bank, the three teenagers carried out CPR to revive her.

Earth sciences student Mr Black said: 'She'd been under the water for two minutes. Her lips were blue and her tongue was white.

'We couldn't find a pulse anywhere but we kept on going. She eventually gurgled and a lot of water came out of her mouth.'

Moments later, the emergency services arrived and the woman was taken to hospital. It is understood she is recovering.

Police Superintendent Fiona McPherson said: 'We congratulate the actions of these very brave individuals. They managed to get to her moments before the emergency services arrived.'

What happened to taking personal responsibilty for our actions Eh.

Truely the Nanny of all Nanny States

Just my tuppence worth :)

Dobbin
Last edited by Dobbin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dobbin

andyfuller wrote:
Dobbin wrote:Jockey error. Happens in all walks of life.
Yes it is jockey error and yes people make errors in all walks of life. But any industry/business should look to try and prevent the error in the first place.
Hi Andy

They would probably end up with the Jockeys having to sign in every time they passed the winning post.

Just to be sure.

You never know the bell might not have been loud enough. Or could be that a Bell would discriminate against Hard of Hearing Jockeys.

That may be a violation of their Human Right :lol:

Dobbin
Euler

Why not ring a bell or something on the 'last lap' like in atheltics. Starter doesn't do much otherwise, they certainly don't seem very good with starting races!
Dobbin

:lol:

Return to “Trading Horse racing”