John Terry returns as permanent captain of England

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Iron

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9430471.stm

IMHO, this is a mistake. If John Terry wasn't fit to be captain a year ago, he's not fit now. And why Capello would want to make Terry captain when he publicly undermined Capello's authority during the World Cup is beyond me...

It will be interesting to see if Ferdinand decides to call time on his England career, at least as long as Capello remains manager...

Jeff
mickey

I agree, wonder what Ferdinand and Gerrard must be thinking now. Captain issue aside, I can't understand why he commands a guaranteed place anymore, too slow and gets caught out too many times.
Sunnyclimes

I agree.

There are two pre-requisites to being a captain (in any team); 1, you have to be good at your sport, and 2, you have to have exceptional leadership skills.

John Terry has neither.

He is slow and cumbersome; witness the ease with which Germany scored such simple goals against England at the World Cup. John Terry is neither agile in body or mind.

Secondly, he has to be the most divisive member of the England squad. The only team mates he is capable of leading would be Lampard and Ashley Cole, both of whom suffer from the same odious characteristics; arrogance and self-aggrandisement. I cannot think of a single non-Chelsea England player who would willingly be led by such a buffoon as John Terry.

If you add to this unhealthy cocktail, the fact that a large proportion of the England squad have half their mind on fighting off potential embarrassments in the press, by having to take out 'super-injunctions' you begin to see that Geoff Hurst is right in his opinion that the England players will never win anything because they are not a team, and that their priorities are eleswhere.

John Terry is the last person in the world who is capable of moulding such a motley crew into a team that is capable of winning anything.

The final point to make is that Capello is shooting himself in the foot. He will find it almost impossible to exercise any kind of control over the team now. Public and players alike will not respect this decision.
LeTiss

Disagree with you totally

JT has proven to be a brilliant captain for Chelsea for many years. He has far more leadership qualities than the tweeting Rio, or the DJ punching Gerrard.
Sure, he lost a great deal of respect for stabbing his good friend Bridge in the back, but nobody can doubt how poorer Chelsea are without him, both in terms of stablility and leadership
Iron

When the Bridge incident came out, Capello should have said "JT hasn't broken the law, so as far as I'm concerned this is a private matter, and none of my business."

But given that he did sack Terry, it needlessly disrupts team morale to get rid of Ferdinand as captain. If you were a manager, and someone decided to replace you even though you'd done nothing wrong, I don't think you'd be impressed! :)

Also, given Terry's public attacks on Capello's decisions during the World Cup, I don't think that we can be confident that Terry will be Capello's voice on the pitch in the same way as Roy Keane was once Ferguson's voice on the pitch! :lol:

Jeff
LeTiss 4pm wrote:Disagree with you totally

JT has proven to be a brilliant captain for Chelsea for many years. He has far more leadership qualities than the tweeting Rio, or the DJ punching Gerrard.
Sure, he lost a great deal of respect for stabbing his good friend Bridge in the back, but nobody can doubt how poorer Chelsea are without him, both in terms of stablility and leadership
Predicton

Hi All,

personally I don't care what goes on off the field, they're probably all at it like rabbits anyway, but I do care how they perform.

For me Terry has the essential quality for a captain and that is, the worse things get the more you see of him. I'm not anti Rio or Gerrard for that matter, they're probably as good as we've got in those positions, but neither of them "show" like Terry does, when "the chips are down",

cheers, P
Iron

I think that, whoever we have as a captain, there is a serious morale problem at the heart of the England team that means that we'll keep on underperforming when it really matters.

If our players could play for England the way that they play for their clubs, we'd be up there with Brazil. But they don't, and I don't see that changing anytime soon...

Jeff
Predicton wrote: For me Terry has the essential quality for a captain and that is, the worse things get the more you see of him. I'm not anti Rio or Gerrard for that matter, they're probably as good as we've got in those positions, but neither of them "show" like Terry does, when "the chips are down",
Iron

For someone who's supposedly one of the best managers is the world, Capello has poor people skills.

First, he needlessly alienates Ferdinand by demoting him. And now he's publicly criticizing Andy Carroll - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9439175.stm.

If he thinks Carroll has a discipline problem, he should speak to him in private, not announce it at a press conference. Carroll's under enough pressure without the world thinking he has an alcohol problem!

Jeff
LeTiss

I think the FA will definitely go English after Capello

My money is on Redknapp, and if Tottenham fail to qualify for the Champions League this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see speculation this summer

Unfortunately, they would have to pay off Capello and compensate Spurs. Money I'm not sure the FA have
Iron

In the past, the FA have panicked into paying top dollar for managers in the hope that they could buy trophies.

What they should have done IMHO is said to managers before appointing them: 'We're not prepared to pay someone millions of pounds if the team is going to win a bunch of friendlies, and then play disgracefully on the big stage. So the bulk of your salary will be based on results. If you're as good as you tell us you are, then you'll have no problem delivering the goods.'

Even though he's not English, I wouldn't mind seeing Martin O'Neill as the next England manager. He was excellent at Villa, and he's played and managed in England long enough to understand our footballing culture.

Jeff
Iron

Looks like Ferdinand is now having to sit on the naughty step because of what he did in his private life (allegedly) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15142475.stm.

Who does Capello think he is - some old fashioned Mafia don?!?

Jeff
LeTiss

I'm not so sure that Ferdinand's private life is to blame.

I think Rio is past his best, Fergie knows it, hence the emergence of Phil Jones.

Return to “Football trading”