New non runner rules

The sport of kings.
Euler

So you bagged a nice profit, you still have the chance to lose it after new rules were introduced on the 30th March.
Also coming into effect on 30 March is a new Rule of Racing that gives power to the Raceday Stewards to declare a horse a non-runner after the race has been run. This provision will only apply to Flat races and only in certain circumstances. Examples are when starting stalls do not open but false start isn’t called, or if a jockey is not on the horse when the stalls are released.

Consequently, bets on such horse(s) which have palpably lost all chance at the start will be fully refunded to punters and, where applicable, Rule 4 deductions would apply to all other bets.

As the Rules of Racing currently stand, all horses in the stalls are deemed runners as soon as the Starter starts a race, unless a) a false start is called or b) there is then a void race for whatever reason.

This new provision will not apply in cases where:
a) The gates open properly but the horse chooses to plant at the start, be fractious or refuse to race; or
b) The gates open a split second after the rest of the field – an existing protocol exists for such circumstances.

Other initiatives which will also come into effect fully from 30 March:
1. Loading Horses Riderless into Starting Stalls
2. Loading Certain Horses by Reversing into Stalls or with Front Gate Open
3. Leaving a Starting Stall Closest to Rail Vacant Where Possible
4. Permitting flexibility on Number of Stalls Handlers in Exceptional Raceday Circumstances
PeterLe

So what would happen in the following scenario:-

The winner of a race is subsequently declared as a non runner..and I had backed all the other horses at 1000 to 1 in running? How would rule 4 be applied??

Thanks
Peter
SilentDave

Hi Peter, I don't think there could be a scenario where a horse winning a race is classified as a non-runner.
As I understand it, the rule seems to be there as a safety net, for example, where a horse has come under starters orders but something exceptional has occurred such as one stall not opening but a false start hasn't been called and all the other horses go on to complete the race. Obviously the horse locked in the stalls had no chance to race and can now be called a non-runner. Before I think I'm right in saying that the horse stuck in the stalls would have been deemed to have been a runner so punters would lose their stakes.
PeterLe

Thanks Dave
It ill be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. No doubt there will a post directly after this one (Perhaps in a few months) where someone has either won a lot or lost a lot.
I think that is what keeps it interesting!
Cheers Dave
Peter
SpikeyBob

I've been hit by these new rules a couple of times already this month. Both times I've lost out, it's not loads tbh, just a bit annoying and lowering the daily profits.

Needless to say, I waiting for karma to kick in and looking forward to a big red being voided as that gets stuck in the starting gates. :)
Euler

Could be up for an instance of this 16:55 Leicester. #5 Close to the edge reared and the jockey never started the race.
SpikeyBob

lol, I wasn't on it, but did have a red on that race which did run, still waiting for karma to re-adjust itself. :)
Euler

Confirmed as a R4
Euler

Interesting one this evening. "Unlimited" reared on the off and left the jockey in the stalls. Will this be another post race R4?
Euler

Declared a non runner!
Euler

I think that's quite a contentious decision as it had every chance to run but didn't. I think they are looking at it from the backers perspective.
jimrobo

heard chapman going on about it saying how it isnt in the rules. I didn;t see the incident but I didn;t hear him mention anything about the jockey not being on the horse? I am assuming that is what happened as I saw the horse come out of the stalls on its own?
Euler

Yes, it reared at the off and the jockey dismounted for safety and the horse raced off without him. But the issue is that there was exactly the same incident elsewhere recently and it was declared a runner. I guess an issue here is that is was the second favourite.
andyfuller

Its been a while, there was a very similar case at the same course on April 16th. The 16.55 and the horse Close to the Edge. That horse reared and was subsequently declared a non runner.

Also this one today didn't just rear it also lost its footing under its back legs and was sat on its backside.

Chapman is over reacting to something that HAS happened before but he wasn't aware of. I have corrected him but it seems he is ignoring my email ;)
Euler

I think they should declare it a runner if its loaded, that is really simple. For me the contentious ones have always been the jumps when a horse is playing up and never really starts.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”