Tests claim few benefit claimants 'unfit to work'

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
superfrank

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14280849
The Department for Work and Pensions figures come on the day a report warned tests caused anxiety among claimants.
FFS.
7% were incapable of any work
17% were able to do some sort of work given the correct support
39% were deemed to be fit for work and were moved onto jobseeker's allowance
36% dropped out of the application process

1% of applications were still in progress
sweetybt

Any "full time" traders here claim benefits?

Be honest
Iron

I was made redundant last April, and signed on for a while. I asked the people at the Jobcentre if there would be a problem with me betting on horses whilst unemployed, and, if so, whether I'd have to declare it.

They said there wouldn't be a problem and that I wouldn't have to declare it (and I got them to make a note of that enquiry on the system, to prtect my back!). Anyway, within a few weeks, I signed off, as my gambling meant that my level of savings was such that I was no longer eligible to sign on (although to cut a long story short, if things don't pick up, I might be signing on again soon! :lol: ).

Jeff
sweetybt wrote:Any "full time" traders here claim benefits?

Be honest
Iron

superfrank wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14280849
The Department for Work and Pensions figures come on the day a report warned tests caused anxiety among claimants.
FFS.
Cameron & Co daren't take a tougher line because they want to be seen as a caring, liberal, politically correct party (that, and the fact that they don't want to upset their coalition partners).

I worry about what this country is coming to. We're far too soft and lacking in discipline, which is part of the reason we're in our current mess...

And don't even get me started about our joke of an education system! :evil:

Anyway, rant over! :lol:

Jeff
sweetybt

I have a friend who runs two KFC restaurants in Germany.

The restaurants are in two different cities.

In city number one it is easy to find staff because the unemployment office are very agressive about placing people. If they send someone to his restaurant for an interview they always phone him afterwards to find out if the person was really trying for the job. If not they cut their benefit.

In city number 2, the unemployment office never follow up the interviews and consequently those not interested in finding work are left alone and on benefits. He is constantly under staffed in this restaurant and depends on hard working immigrants to work over time.

The difference between a job at KFC and benefits in Germany is about 100 euro a month I think.

From this example you can see which city he would invest in if he were to open a another restaurant.

If employers can't find staff they won't invest.

Return to “Chill Out Area”