Next England Manager

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Euler

To summarise..

I ranked the leagues based on money spent on wages, a proxy for money spent on players or spent retaining them. If a manager ranked higher in the league than the wages league then they outperformed and vice versa. Moyes, Ferguson consistantly outranked other managers, Hodgson, Redknapp didn't.
Lagos

If you did that since Hodgson took over at WBA he would be very near the top and Dalglish very near the bottom.
Iron

Euler wrote:Moyes, Ferguson consistantly outranked other managers, Hodgson, Redknapp didn't.
Just in case any of our Man U bashing cohort missed the above, I thought I'd put it in a new message... ;)

But I'm sure Fergie's success is entirely due to luck and money! :lol:

Jeff
hgodden

That doesn't take into account transer fees though. Arsenal pay low transfer fees but relatively high collective wages. Spurs are the opposite with highish fees but low wages, I'm surprised Rednapp come out so bad.
Lagos

Hodgson may also have got lucky at WBA as it is a well run ship
Iron

The impression I get of Hodgson is that he's a solid, middle of the road manager, but nothing special.

IMHO, the FA should have focused on finding a manager with a track record of taking demoralised,underperforming teams and getting them to play with confidence and passion, as that's the challenge the next England manager will face...

Jeff
Lagos wrote:Hodgson may also have got lucky at WBA as it is a well run ship
Euler

It's a tough job whoever does it, so I'm prepared to give him some slack in Euro 2012. It will be make or break come the next World Cup, that's if we qualify of course!

It could be that successful club managers just can't do it at international level. It seems no one has the answer at the moment though. What exactly makes a success at international level, is there a structural issue that needs dealing with first?
andyfuller

IMO the main problem is in the players - they just aren't good enough. The other week on MOTD they were saying Rooney was at the same level as Messi.

I nearly choked on my pint.

IMO as a nation we are deluded that our players are world class.

You can't polish a turd no matter how good a manager you are :lol:
superfrank

i just think expectations are too high.

it's like Britain's decline in industry. we led the industrial revolution but others eventually caught up and did it better than us (e.g. Japan).

in football we are technically inferior and have a smaller and smaller pool of players to choose from with top level experience because of the foreign domination of the Premier League. also kids these days do not play anywhere near as much football as in the past for a variety of social reasons.

i reckon we have a shout in the Euros but don't have a prayer of winning the World Cup in Brazil. we should be 100/1+ for that.
Euler

andyfuller wrote:You can't polish a turd
I beg to differ: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
hgodden

We could win the euros, I'm not saying we will, but it is only a cup competition after all.

Hogdson will probably get everyone well organised and it will probably be quite boring. Normally he sets his teams out 442 with one winger and the other 'wideman' tucked in, which will probably mean something like Walcott or Young on one side and a grafter like Milner on the other, tucked in to support another couple of midfield grafters. If Chelsea can make it to the final of the CL playing the kind of football they do then there's no reason that England can't in this tournament if they have a bit of luck, which you obviously need in cup competitions and international football in general.

It will be interesting to see how Spain do. Following on from Barcelona's 'demise' it will be interesting to see if they will meet a similar fate. I don't know if Villa will be ready (even if he is it will be a big ask after missing the season) or if they've got any great strikers coming through but I'd be a bit worried if I were them relying on Torres to score them the goals to win the tournament. If they turn out not to be the Spain we've come to know recently then it could be a pretty open tournament

Return to “Football trading”