Putting into perspective the spending of Manchester City

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Euler

superfrank

interesting stuff and good analysis.

hats off to Arsenal and Wenger then... i know they haven't won anything for a while but the have still done consistently well in the league and do play good football.
hgodden

That's quite funny. A couple of days ago Mancini was quoted as saying man city's recent spending is fair because they are only catching up with what clubs like Arsenal have spent over the last 10 years.

I wouldn't mind betting that they've spent more on net transfers the last 3 years than Arsenal and Everton combined have during their entire histories with over 20 titles between them.

I know the sugar daddy clubs have made things more exciting (though you could say that about Hitler's rise to fame) but surely the only people who have really benefitted are Ferrari dealers and agents? Almost all the money just goes out of the game. Plus it just encourages other clubs like Liverpool to spend wildly beyond their means in order to try and compete, nearly ending up in administration. If the former American ownders hadn't managed to sell the club for a couple of hundred million more than they paid for it to wipe out the transfer debts then they'd be another Rangers. If the price of the club had gone down in that period (perfectly possible) then the great Liverpool football club would probably have been liquidated!! Ticket prices go up everywhere and the game goes further and further from its roots and becomes more and more a business rather than a sport.

I really hope UEFA implement these new rules properly. Like many people I've always been anti Man Utd but this season I actually want them to win the title. It's like being one of those Poles who fled their homeland during WW2 to join the communists to fight the nazis - leaves a bad taste in the mouth!
mcfc1981

utd have been so sucessful because they were top when all the the big bucks from prem league and champs league tv deals kicked off.
had it been 5-10 years earlier im sure everton and liverpool would have more titles and cup to there name.

Return to “Football trading”