Wimbledon 2012

Iron

Shrewsbury Town 2 Everton 1
FA Cup third round, 2003

Never say never! ;)

Other FA Cup upsets: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... psets.html

Jeff
pdupre1961 wrote: League 2 teams never beat Premier League teams...
LeTiss

I admit to having ruled Federer out of the equation a bit prematurely, however I think Murray is really good value tomorrow

He has a winning record against Federer 8-7

I was interested in Navratilova saying today, that she was more nervous in finals towards the end of her career rather than at the beginning, as she knew time was running out. Federer is desperate to win, not only has he not won a slam for 2-3 years, but this will equal Sampras record of weeks at Number 1. In previous tight matches in slams over the past year or so, he has faltered not prevailed, especially vs Tsonga and twice vs Djokovic. He could be far more nervous than we've seen in finals

Also, Federer hates it when the crowd are against him. He's always picked up good support at Wimbledon, but tomorrow it will be like a Davis Cup tie, and he's very much the enemy. That is something he won't have experienced before at Wimbledon

Murray has come to use the crowd to great effect, and I see this being tremendously close. If it goes the distance, I think Murray will have the greater staying power
Euler

It could be that britions winning at Wimbledon could be like buses. None for ages then two turn up one after another? What odds a Murray / Murrey double!
Dublin_Flyer

I'd love to see a market for headlines after Murrays match, will he be Britains Champ......or the defeated Scottish lad!

Used tennis trader before the Womens Final today assuming Williams would win the 1st set after hearing Radwanska wasn't too well so thought she might take time to get into her game, dutched Williams at her pre start price and Radwanska at her assumed price after losing the 1st set. Took a bit of time to fill but handy 12% profit while I was making the dinner :)
pdupre1961

Ferru123 wrote:Shrewsbury Town 2 Everton 1
FA Cup third round, 2003
Please tell me Everton were top of the league when this happened...

There have only been just over 100 finals of the mens finals.

For Murray to win Federer will need to break his leg...OR arm.
pdupre1961

Euler wrote:It could be that britions winning at Wimbledon could be like buses. None for ages then two turn up one after another? What odds a Murray / Murrey double!
It's only the Men's singles that a Briton has not won for ages.
Iron

Murray's record against Federer is 8-7. If we assume that Federer gave his all in his previous matches, then that suggests that the two of them are fairly evenly matched in terms of ability. But as we know from football, playing at home can give you a significant psychological advantage.

Also, Federer isn't as young as he once was, and he hasn't been firing on all cylinders for a while. Federer at his peak would destroy Murray, but that's (hopefully!) not who Murray is up against tomorrow...

Jeff
pdupre1961

LeTiss 4pm wrote: He has a winning record against Federer 8-7

I was interested in Navratilova saying today, that she was more nervous in finals towards the end of her career rather than at the beginning, as she knew time was running out. Federer is desperate to win, not only has he not won a slam for 2-3 years, but this will equal Sampras record of weeks at Number 1. In previous tight matches in slams over the past year or so, he has faltered not prevailed, especially vs Tsonga and twice vs Djokovic. He could be far more nervous than we've seen in finals
None of this is relevant, as I said earlier. Grand Slams are not the same as normal events, and Murray thinks grass is for cows. He much prefers hard courts.

The Tsonga match was not a tight match Federer was 2-0 up and going great. Tsonga was the one who improved. Federer never collapsed. Check the stats. Federer won 51% of the points...and he was ahead in most sections. Don't ask me how he lost cos I don't know.

Federer WILL BE world no.1 after this match. Which means he has played better than anyone else alive this last 12 months.

I've NEVER known a match of this magnitude at Wimbledon to be won by someone of Murray's style of play. It just does not happen.

Federer is the best there has ever been on grass and he's at the top of his game right now. He uses top spin, slice, back spin, power and basically why so many people appear to just put it in the net against him, is because they just don't know what's coming next.
Iron

I can see how the fact that the match is being played on grass might make the previous form less relevant. But what is the significance of it being a grand slam event in terms of Murray's chances? One would hope that Murray has played enough top flight tennis not to be intimidated by the occasion... And I doubt it was the case that Federer played below his potential in previous non-grand slam matches.

Also, if Federer is the world's best player, why was Djokovic the heavily odds on favourite until he was knocked out?

Jeff
pdupre1961

Because, as I said in an earlier post, Murray has not won a set in 3 previous attempts.

In answer to your second question - I don't know why, I said Federer would win. Maybe, most people who affect the odds are just not that clued up.
pdupre1961

Ferru123 wrote: And I doubt it was the case that Federer played below his potential in previous non-grand slam matches.

Believe me when I say if you win this you get £250,000 you will be more ready than if I said £3,000

Edit: First prize is £1,150.000 - Murray will get £575,000 for losing...
Last edited by pdupre1961 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdupre1961

Oh, and just so that you know what I meant when I said Federer is the best there's ever been on grass - the best all round player in the history of men's tennis is without doubt John P McEnroe who won grand slams in men's singles, men's doubles and mixed doubles on all surfaces. And the only man in history to be ranked No.1 in singles and No.1 in doubles.

His doubles partner Peter Fleming is quoted as saying "John McEnroe + anyone, is the best doubles pair in the world". (see here for quote)

In 1984, he went 82-3 in singles (wins to losses), just better than Roger at his best (81-4).

Remember, I'm talking about best not winning most. However, in total he won 17 Grand slams. 7 singles and 10 doubles, and he hardly ever played Australia.
Last edited by pdupre1961 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
pdupre1961

Just to clarify 1984 Wimbledon final - best I've ever seen.

1984 J.P. McEnroe (USA) seeded 1 bt J.S. Connors (USA) seeded 3 by 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 in 80 minutes...

Lendl was the actual no.2 seed though in my opinion not the no.2 player - that was Jimmy Connors (who bt Lendl in the semis very easily)

So, the no.2 grass court player won only 4 games from the no.1 grass court player in 1 hour and twenty minutes. That day John McEnroe was better than anyone before or since. Full stop. No argument.
mugsgame

pdupre1961, you are obviously a real expert in tennis, by the way you are talking and dismissing Murray you must have backed Fed with all the money you can muster. Some of your statements are becoming ridiculous and your losing credibility by making them.

I have no doubt you are correct in all your stats. But as I have kept saying over and over again over the years that stats are a valuable tool in helping to determine an outcome, but they miss big strings of mitigating data, especially in sports where emotions play a huge roll.

I say again, the occasion of a Briton in a Wimbledon mens final is the first time in most of our lifetimes. It is Golden Jubilee year, Olympics start in a couple of weeks. Even with the awful weather and dire economic times, there is a buzz about the place. This is not an ordinary grand slam final.

Fed is a great champion, the best we have ever seen, the best at Wimbledon for sure. But he is no certainty. The prize money here has absolutely no consequence, this is about history not money.

Sorry fella, I just don't think you get "The Big Picture"
Groovyelms

good to see emotions hotting up even if the weather is so crap...
I think this final will be very close.. looking forward to it hugely
groovy :|

Return to “Tennis Trading”